Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 PM

156 posts, read 270,385 times

Advertisements

I'm aspiring to get a job as a bartender as I move to US (since that is what I've done in Europe), and I'm thinking now about the main trait for this profession - personality. It's a bit different here in the States, but I really want to fit in

Can anybody share your views what your ideal bartender would be? Also, if anybody has any experience with bartending in CA, what sort of PERSONALITY does my future employer expect, and what kind of questions might they ask?

I sort of get the feeling that a bartender from LA =/= bartender from Missouri, in which case let's pretend that my previous employment was in some small Midwest town.

Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 01:48 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,668,120 times
big rack

Old 12-03-2013, 01:53 PM

377 posts, read 530,070 times
I see wer'e getting all the immigrants with the really important skills, we don't need no more engineers and scientists, we need more bartenders dammit!

Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,314,208 times
My ideal bartender is one with a heavy pour and a good work ethic.

But your odds of getting a bartender job increase if you look a certain way. The less attractive bartenders tend to work at hotels, airports, and chain restaurants.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:36 PM

26,761 posts, read 26,869,136 times
Finding a job as a bartender here is not as easy as it appears.
Anyone have success finding a job in LA after bartending school?

Old 12-03-2013, 04:36 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,857,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusOCR View Post
I'm aspiring to get a job as a bartender as I move to US (since that is what I've done in Europe), and I'm thinking now about the main trait for this profession - personality. It's a bit different here in the States, but I really want to fit in

Can anybody share your views what your ideal bartender would be? Also, if anybody has any experience with bartending in CA, what sort of PERSONALITY does my future employer expect, and what kind of questions might they ask?

I sort of get the feeling that a bartender from LA =/= bartender from Missouri, in which case let's pretend that my previous employment was in some small Midwest town.

Thanks for your help!!
a bartender that knows how to pour a pint. Every bartender I ever encountered in England and Scotland knew how to do this. They are trained to do it. I've been to a lot of bars in LA and its shocking how often I get a pint with no head at all.

personality is good, obviously.

The worst trait a bartender can have is when they play favorites. You always see this at trendy bars. I'll be up a the bar wanting to order drinks, the bartender obviously sees me, but chooses to serve some women before me who just walked up to the bar.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
a bartender that knows how to pour a pint. Every bartender I ever encountered in England and Scotland knew how to do this. They are trained to do it. I've been to a lot of bars in LA and its shocking how often I get a pint with no head at all.

personality is good, obviously.

The worst trait a bartender can have is when they play favorites. You always see this at trendy bars. I'll be up a the bar wanting to order drinks, the bartender obviously sees me, but chooses to serve some women before me who just walked up to the bar.
Sometimes bartenders play favorites because they're big tippers.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:39 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,489,582 times
One with a heavy hand?...

Old 12-03-2013, 05:45 PM

156 posts, read 270,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Finding a job as a bartender here is not as easy as it appears.
Anyone have success finding a job in LA after bartending school?
Yeah, I kind of thought that LA is probably one of the cities where bartender position isn't easily available. Well, I'm hoping that my previous experience, 50/50 looks and ability to speak in three different languages will come in handy. If not, maybe someone will take me as a barback and I'll do that thing all over again, no problem.

I'm just interested what the bartenders are like personality-wise in the US. I'll do my research, obviously, when I'm there (looking forward to it ).

Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusOCR View Post
Yeah, I kind of thought that LA is probably one of the cities where bartender position isn't easily available. Well, I'm hoping that my previous experience, 50/50 looks and ability to speak in three different languages will come in handy. If not, maybe someone will take me as a barback and I'll do that thing all over again, no problem.

I'm just interested what the bartenders are like personality-wise in the US. I'll do my research, obviously, when I'm there (looking forward to it ).
In LA, bartenders are usually pretty distant and all business. You approach, you make eye contact, you order drink, you pay for it, and you leave. Exceptions are at neighborhood dives during quieter hours, where bartenders will make conversation with regulars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles