Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 09:36 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,968 times

Advertisements

I was listening to Tom Leykis today and he was talking about this today. He was mad lol.

iPad software licenses expire in three years, L.A. Unified says - latimes.com

Contradicting earlier claims, Los Angeles school district officials said Tuesday that their right to use English and math curriculum installed on district iPads expires after three years.

At market rates, buying a new license for the curriculum would cost $50 to $100 each year per iPad, an additional cost that could surpass $60 million annually. The expense would add to the price tag of the $1-billion effort to provide a tablet to every teacher and student in the nation's second-largest school system.

The iPad program had a delayed and troubled rollout. Early on, the district ordered them kept at schools after students bypassed security filters so they could freely browse the Internet. Another issue has been the release of conflicting, misleading or incomplete information. Such an issue arose Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 09:48 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,911 times
LAUSD needs better teachers and adminstrators, not iPads.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:54 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
How about classes that don't have a teacher to student ratio of 1:40?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:09 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,631 times
I hate that they used construction dollars for this. I understand the need for tech in the classroom, but this was poor planning.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:22 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
This is pretty upsetting and I think the likelyhood of lausd passing more bonds / taxes could be at risk .

There are way to many indicators the system is failing and corrupt or both .

Spending is way too high for the results .

It's not right to use funds intended for one purpose for something else .

And why is it that these huge purchases them end up being a good deal .

iPads are also the more expensive of tablets on the market . Regarding the licenses ... These devices could very well be obsolete in 3 yrs .. That's quite a long time for technology .

Also I'm sure most of these students have a smartphone and other gadgets .

Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
LAUSD needs better teachers and adminstrators, not iPads.
this.

i wouldn't be at all surprised if Apple has (behind the scenes) lobbied hard for iPad adoption in schools. not only do they have a guaranteed market for their product now, but kids growing up on iPads guarantees a future market as well for Apple.

:shakes my head:

Old 11-21-2013, 01:20 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Everyone who OK'd this deal should resign and be investigated for fraud.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:47 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,821 times
As a teacher I feel that this is truly a crime. The idea that technology solves all the problems in a classroom is not true. If anything, it introduces more problems. As was previously noted the money would be used more effectively if it assisted in lowering class size or even for providing more basic supplies like paper, pencils, rulers, calculators, maps, musical instruments, art supplies etc. How about expanding services for those students having trouble or expanding technical education programs forthose whose future does nit lie inan academic path?
The influence of corporate greed in schools is out of control. Money is being diverted to technology companies and testing companies and is having no positive effect on classrooms.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
As a teacher I feel that this is truly a crime. The idea that technology solves all the problems in a classroom is not true. If anything, it introduces more problems. As was previously noted the money would be used more effectively if it assisted in lowering class size or even for providing more basic supplies like paper, pencils, rulers, calculators, maps, musical instruments, art supplies etc. How about expanding services for those students having trouble or expanding technical education programs forthose whose future does nit lie inan academic path?
The influence of corporate greed in schools is out of control. Money is being diverted to technology companies and testing companies and is having no positive effect on classrooms.
True and technology requires more technology. I also heard the episode of the Tom Leykis show that the OP mentioned , and one of the callers familiar with the situation said that the wifi at the schools couldn't support the iPADs. Not surprising. This means millions more likely to get their wifi network up to the correct standards.

In the state LAUSD is in currently, they need to focus on the basics rather than getting distracted with expensive technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: