Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 14,587 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading a book called "I Almost Died in a Hot Tub: A Survival Story" from Amazon and it describes the disadvantages of kids growing up there including that many kids there actually grow up with symptoms of post traumatic stress syndrome similar to kids from war torn areas such Iraq during the gulf war. I just wonder how accurate is that statement??...Anybody???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 05:05 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
So you're seriously comparing a child living in a war-torn country to a kid growing up in a South LA?

Besides the bad stereotype, there's nothing inherently bad about living in South LA. What do you think South LA is like? Kids dodging bullets as they walk home and drug dealers in elementary school?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:23 PM

733 posts, read 940,227 times
Well they actually did a survey of the kids of south central and they did have similar rates of ptsd than kids from war torn countries, could've beenn when South Central is worse.

And it really depends on where in South Central as well as what neighborhoods you're comparing it to everything else being equal. South Central isn't exactly the worst area in LA, it varies. But poor neighborhoods with easier access to the resources of richer communities will probably be better off than in the middle of poverty surrounded by poverty, because at least then you can walk over to the nicer areas and take advantage of their resources, and there are parts of South Central with poverty for miles, and then there's Baldwin Hills, it all depends.

As for kids dodging bullets my cousin and his friends when they were still in elementary were the target of a driveby for beating up some other kid, this was on the Eastside though not SC. And there are certainly drug dealers in elementary schools in poor areas all over the place.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
And it really depends on where in South Central as well as what neighborhoods you're comparing it to everything else being equal. South Central isn't exactly the worst area in LA, it varies. But poor neighborhoods with easier access to the resources of richer communities will probably be better off than in the middle of poverty surrounded by poverty, because at least then you can walk over to the nicer areas and take advantage of their resources, and there are parts of South Central with poverty for miles, and then there's Baldwin Hills, it all depends.
/end of thread

Old 04-15-2015, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,423 times
kids growing up areas like watts, florence district, and compton are usually more at risk of encountering certain problems during their lifetimes. Problems like being targeted because of their race or apearance by gang members or even police officers, being exposed to gangs, drugs and violence that exist in southcentral L.A schools and streets. Among other things gang related violence is common, ptsd is actually kind of common. anyone who has had a traumatic expierence like being jumped,robbed,threatened,shot at,or even bullied can suffer from it, it isnt only caused by wars. anxiety disorders, irrational fears and panic attacks can dvelop. which then causes them to participate less in school. this doesnt happen to all the kids just some of the unlucky ones. many become drug dealers or drug addicts, as a result of drugs being readily available to any who wants them. teachers are usually less trained and are left with fewer resources and outdated technology having to teach like this in overpopullated schools and classes. kids grow up around gang violence and culture, and often feel a need to become gang members and drug dealers as a result of the glorified gang culture and violence. Racial hate between african americans and latinos still exist although its dying down. Drugs-weed is sommon, this isnt that bad but it cant ofeen lead to being offered other drugs. crack and meth are destroying some of these low income neighborhoods, drug dealers, and drug addicts are everywhere, in south central life isnt as stereotypical as you see in movies and shows but the gangs, violence depression and hatred are very real

Old 04-15-2015, 07:17 PM

908 posts, read 1,304,286 times
I just finished watching a series called "Chicagoland" which partly addresses the very high rates of violent crime in South Side Chicago and how parents and kids were scared about impending school closures because it meant that kids would have to walk to new schools that required crossing gang lines. It has gotten bad enough that they call the area Chiraq.

I also heard about the study noting similar PTSD levels between kids in South Central and Iraq, which doesn't surprise me. And it's probably even worse for Chicago at the moment. Probably not quite as high as Iraq, but probably pretty close.

When you consider that crime is often concentrated in particular areas, the per capita rate excluding safer areas is clearly going to be much higher. When you look at LA homicide stats, an incredibly heavy concentration occurs along the 110 corridor. I can only imagine the amount of stress that individuals in South LA and South Side Chicago go through between poverty and crime.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:12 AM

280 posts, read 325,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
So you're seriously comparing a child living in a war-torn country to a kid growing up in a South LA?

Besides the bad stereotype, there's nothing inherently bad about living in South LA. What do you think South LA is like? Kids dodging bullets as they walk home and drug dealers in elementary school?
I'm sorry you recognize the similarities. A child's psyche is damaged living in a dangerous neighborhood. I didn't know anyone who had been shot growing up - these kids know plenty of people. When they go to bed at night they hear gunshots....that's hard on anyone.

I wanted to address the differences that separate the two (war vs dangerous neighbors), and honestly I can't. I work in school counseling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles