Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 09:43 AM

19 posts, read 50,252 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about this area (1600 S. Victoria Ave, 90019) in Los Angeles, what is the area like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 10:15 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortandsweet View Post
Can anyone tell me about this area (1600 S. Victoria Ave, 90019) in Los Angeles, what is the area like?
Here are bird's eye views using maps.live.com:

Old 12-28-2007, 10:29 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
Although Charles' pix are worth a thousand words, let me add a few dozen. This area is known as the Crenshaw District, and its demographic would be for the most part middle class African-American and hispanic, some Asian-Americans.

The historic housing is fairly nice because this area used to be more fashionable when downtown L.A. was same. The pluses are proximity to the Wilshire/Western metro-train station, about an 18-block walk (L.A.'s public transit system is more limited than most suspect so this is a plus,) to the L.A. Art Museum, Wiltern Theatre (music shows) and nice restaurants around Wilshire Blvd., L.A. proper's major east-west thoroughfare. It's not so far inland that the smog would be too bad.

The minuses add up depending upon your commuting distance to work, and if you regularly must be further east and south, where one might not find so many English speakers. This is sort of near where I grew up a half century ago, when it was a little different, i.e., all our neighbors from other countries spoke English.

Are there any other specifics about your move that forum posters here need to know in order to help you?

Old 12-28-2007, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the response, my husband has already secured a job, but I'm looking to work in the Los angeles school district not sure doing what anything but teaching or some type of social work that's what my degree is in. How is the job market, and most of the social work requires home visits is this safe especially for a transplant?

Old 12-28-2007, 11:57 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
Here's the link to Los Angeles Unified School District / Employment
http://notebook.lausd.net/portal/pag..._schema=PTL_EP

You probably will have to show that you speak spanish or Korean, particularly in this area. I believe the current stat for all of LAUSD is 70% hispanic, and 50% coming from non-English-speaking households. My husband is a teacher in a downtown L.A. area, and the suggestion is that you probably can do more good teaching than wrangling with parents. Good luck.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Here's the link to Los Angeles Unified School District / Employment
http://notebook.lausd.net/portal/pag..._schema=PTL_EP

You probably will have to show that you speak spanish or Korean, particularly in this area. I believe the current stat for all of LAUSD is 70% hispanic, and 50% coming from non-English-speaking households. My husband is a teacher in a downtown L.A. area, and the suggestion is that you probably can do more good teaching than wrangling with parents. Good luck.
Thanks for your help i will check out the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: