Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 11:58 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
With earthquakes, wildfires, landslides and other assorted potential calamities, you will want a car to evacuate/sleep in, with some of the things/people/pets you love. Always keep a full tank, BTW.
False sense of security. If the infrastructure is wrecked or inadequate, a full tank of gas is useless. Chances are you will use up your full tank of gas trying to find an escape route.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 12:05 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
False sense of security. If the infrastructure is wrecked or inadequate, a full tank of gas is useless. Chances are you will use up your full tank of gas trying to find an escape route.
For how problematic your comments are in other posts, you are correct. If there was ever an exodus in Los Angeles for whatever reason, a car would probably be the last thing you want to take.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:33 PM

221 posts, read 347,735 times
This is why my emergency preparedness kits are integrated with my backpacking equipment. IF driving is possible, great. But consider how bad traffic is even during an ordinary rush hour and you can easily infer how bad it would be during any kind of evacuation. Better at that point to walk out, especially if you live on the fringes (far West, far East) of the city anyway.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:07 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
That is an economist mindset, keeping a full tank gas and a go bag is the first step in the earthquake kit. The survivalist mindset. It is also the first step in having food caches in suburban storage lockers survival and personal defense weapons just in case the aliens land and you attempt to disperse before the resistance begins their operations. Although I doubt a hardcore survivalist will be anywhere near Los Angeles
But I'm only 3 miles from the ocean, and a Mel Gibson movie taught me that the space aliens don't like water.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:11 PM

101 posts, read 137,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I was in the same boat as you a few years ago and decided to sell my car and buy a vespa. This lasted about three years before my commute forced me to buy a car. I saved a ton of cash over those three years and riding a scooter is considerably faster in city traffic. Something to consider.
+1 Just get a motorcycle or scooter. It'll handle most of your running around at far less cost than a car and it's much faster and easier to park.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:13 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I plan to use the car for power (if not for evacuation or a bed). I have an inverter that plugs into the dashboard that converts car battery power to 110 volts, so I can charge cellphones, walkie-talkies, etc. That will last until I run through a tank of gas, which at idle would take quite a while.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:10 PM

105 posts, read 115,911 times
Well, insurance and DMV reg fee shouldn't be too high for your car.
Plus if your mailage usage is low and park in garage, you can get extra discount on insurance.

I would keep the car if I were you.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:45 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
But I'm only 3 miles from the ocean, and a Mel Gibson movie taught me that the space aliens don't like water.
However in Battle: Los Angeles except for a few in a police station we were able to evacuate Santa Monica while under fire from alien marines

Old 11-18-2014, 10:20 AM

11 posts, read 14,610 times
I lived in New York during two blackouts and 9/11 and traffic trying to get out was at a standstill. I'm sure everyone has seen photos of large amounts of people walking over bridges and through the streets. I know we're talking about a group of islands with limited points of entry and exit, versus Los Angeles, but if everyone in greater Los Angeles jumps into their cars at once, it will probably be a giant mess as well.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards the scooter. The weather here is certainly ideal for it.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:31 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I plan to use the car for power (if not for evacuation or a bed). I have an inverter that plugs into the dashboard that converts car battery power to 110 volts, so I can charge cellphones, walkie-talkies, etc. That will last until I run through a tank of gas, which at idle would take quite a while.
LOL. OK, that should last you a day or two. What then? You also realize that a powered cellphone would be pretty useless in a disaster, since that infrastructure would likely also be damaged?

A portable generator would be way more useful then a car in that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles