Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:40 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,537,819 times

Advertisements

Quite a bit, for under 600 a month? Are they roach infested, with very high property crime and/or homeless surrounding it? I have lived in Detroit before, so, there aren't too many living environments that would give me serious creeps, but.......

Here are some on CL.

230 W. 23rd Street at Flower/ 230 W. 23rd St.

1231 W. 8th St.

Another in Boyle Heights by E 4th and Soto Street.

I could probably, even though my car insurance could almost be thru the roof, live in LA if I lived in some rents like that, by myself, with no bathroom shared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 02:54 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,317,163 times
They're just not "desirable" areas. But they probably aren't bad places to live. We focus way too much on the Westside to Downtown. Most of LA county is still relatively affordable to rent.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:10 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,833,214 times
The catch is nobody wants to live there, thus $600.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:18 PM

8,584 posts, read 11,010,695 times
People ask me why my rents are low compares to other rentals in the city.
The location is desirable,being between Monterey Hills, and South Pasadena, east of the Arroyo Seco Pkwy.
All of my rentals are eight or nine hundred, and this is for a one bedroom detached house.
The reason the rents are low is because the houses were paid off years ago, and I don't see any need to gouge tenants.
More often than not location dictates what the rents will be, but as with my properties, that is not always the case.

Bob.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:39 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,833,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
People ask me why my rents are low compares to other rentals in the city.
The location is desirable,being between Monterey Hills, and South Pasadena, east of the Arroyo Seco Pkwy.
All of my rentals are eight or nine hundred, and this is for a one bedroom detached house.
The reason the rents are low is because the houses were paid off years ago, and I don't see any need to gouge tenants.
More often than not location dictates what the rents will be, but as with my properties, that is not always the case.

Bob.
What's the square footage on your rentals?

Old 12-09-2014, 06:09 PM

8,584 posts, read 11,010,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
What's the square footage on your rentals?
The houses in Hermon are 525 square feet, with off street parking, two with private back yards, and all have washer dryer hookup in a laundry room off the kitchen.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,501,407 times
OP, none of us will likely be familar with the particular buildings or maybe even those specific blocks where properties are located.

They aren't going to be trendy areas of course, but there are going to be people living there. Most likely lower income residents. You'll likely see crime rates being higher than average in those areas .

Since you've lived in Detroit, I don't think it could be worse than that.

You'll have to check them out yourself and see. I know some years ago when I was looking for apartments , the craigslist ads and the actual apartments didn't always look the same..

I remember going to one pretty awful building that was dark inside and the elevator was broken, and this was a big building too. And a lady said the elevator had been broken a while..Was a pretty depressing building for sure.

I had been looking around that price range..but that was back in 2009 or so and rents have likely gone up quite a bit since then.

Have you considered a private room w/ bathroom in a private home?

If you went that route for $600 you could probably get a place in a much nicer area.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:55 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,637,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Quite a bit, for under 600 a month? Are they roach infested, with very high property crime and/or homeless surrounding it? I have lived in Detroit before, so, there aren't too many living environments that would give me serious creeps, but.......

Here are some on CL.

230 W. 23rd Street at Flower/ 230 W. 23rd St.

1231 W. 8th St.

Another in Boyle Heights by E 4th and Soto Street.

I could probably, even though my car insurance could almost be thru the roof, live in LA if I lived in some rents like that, by myself, with no bathroom shared.
All high crime areas. The first two are on the edges of downtown LA, but in ungentrified and rather desolate neighborhoods. The third does have the advantage of being near a lot of great, reasonably priced restaurants.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:21 AM

672 posts, read 2,177,598 times
There are some things that may not be included in rent in LA which might account for the cheap rent. In LA it is pretty common to find apartments that don't have
- AC
- refrigerators
- parking
- access to good schools
- elevators
- quiet

Old 12-10-2014, 07:28 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,385,030 times
Default good ol dad used to do just that as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The houses in Hermon are 525 square feet, with off street parking, two with private back yards, and all have washer dryer hookup in a laundry room off the kitchen.
If they're paid for and you want long term tenants (and fewer headaches) you know what you dealing with and therefore stay slightly below market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles