Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,939 times

Advertisements

Help! My move (Pasadena CA to IRVINE CA) has come in around the $4k mark. That involves 2 guys packing on one day and 4 guys moving the next. I’m assuming the 2 Packers will be part of the next day job. Do I tip everyone on the LAST day, or the packers as soon as they’ve finished that job, even though they’re coming back the next day (where I will tip them again). Should I just give them double that last day? And HOW MUCH? I’d really appreciate some advice from professional movers! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 06:56 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Did you pay the company a flat rate?
Are the packers and movers employees of that company?

They get a regular salary, why are you tipping them?
They get regular salary, a lunch break, etc. you have no reason to buy anyone lunch or tip any of them.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,939 times
Yes I will be flat rate, and workers are company employees. I'm from Australia where tipping is not a thing at all.

I thought it was customary for things like this.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:12 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
I'm American, have lived in four states, and I've never heard of tipping movers. You tip waitstaff because they earn below minimum wage, as well as service people like valets, bellhops, and delivery drivers for food. You don't owe anything beyond the fee you were quoted.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:40 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
I tipped my movers 20 a piece (on the drop off end) . They were really efficient and did a great job.

Tipping is not uncommon.
http://www.moving.com/tips/much-tip-...quette-moving/

Old 10-29-2015, 07:57 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
It's completely optional. I've tipped when the service was good ($15 - $20.00 per mover) or none at all when the service was poor.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:27 PM

167 posts, read 195,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I'm American, have lived in four states, and I've never heard of tipping movers. You tip waitstaff because they earn below minimum wage, as well as service people like valets, bellhops, and delivery drivers for food. You don't owe anything beyond the fee you were quoted.
I'm not American and have lived in 3 states.
Waiters don't earn below minimum wage in California. Even restaurants in states that actually do have "tipped wage" are required by federal law to compensate the employee if his paycheck was below the normal non-tip minimum wage. So really there is no job in America that pays below minimum wage if you work legally.

Having said that I've heard that you're supposed to tip $10 per mover per hour of their work.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:22 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blam View Post
I'm not American and have lived in 3 states.
Waiters don't earn below minimum wage in California. Even restaurants in states that actually do have "tipped wage" are required by federal law to compensate the employee if his paycheck was below the normal non-tip minimum wage. So really there is no job in America that pays below minimum wage if you work legally.

Having said that I've heard that you're supposed to tip $10 per mover per hour of their work.
Actually yes there is. The new-fangled "independent contractor" category allows people to potentially make under minimum wage. One example is grocery delivery service Instacart. For certain areas they don't have a minimum hourly wage. They pay delivery drivers $5 per delivery and 100% of tips (which used to be split 50/50 with the person stationed inside the store who put the order together). If it's a slow day (they are at the grocery store waiting for an order to come in) and the customer doesn't tip they may make under $9 an hour.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:38 AM

167 posts, read 195,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Actually yes there is. The new-fangled "independent contractor" category allows people to potentially make under minimum wage. One example is grocery delivery service Instacart. For certain areas they don't have a minimum hourly wage. They pay delivery drivers $5 per delivery and 100% of tips (which used to be split 50/50 with the person stationed inside the store who put the order together). If it's a slow day (they are at the grocery store waiting for an order to come in) and the customer doesn't tip they may make under $9 an hour.
Really? I stand corrected then. But its definitely not like waitresses make 2 bucks an hour or something.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:50 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
According to Adam Ruins Everything, we should not tip anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles