Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:56 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times

Advertisements

I notice it more so in LA though that the transplants and locals seem to not mix very well. I have very few friends not from LA in LA. Not for lack of effort or prejudice. Just seems that there's a different personality and mindset that comes along with being a native. In SF I had my friends from SF. In KY all my friends are from KY except one from NJ. I have friends all over the country who have made friends with locals. Maybe they feel the same about Angelenos who move to their cities, but it seems more common for other cities' locals to befriend transplants than for native Angelenos to befriend transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 08:04 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I notice it more so in LA though that the transplants and locals seem to not mix very well. I have very few friends not from LA in LA. Not for lack of effort or prejudice. Just seems that there's a different personality and mindset that comes along with being a native. In SF I had my friends from SF. In KY all my friends are from KY except one from NJ. I have friends all over the country who have made friends with locals. Maybe they feel the same about Angelenos who move to their cities, but it seems more common for other cities' locals to befriend transplants than for native Angelenos to befriend transplants.
I've never had this experience. Once in a while, you'll get that one transplant that talks about how great their home is and how Los Angeles sucks, but for the most part, I get along with people who aren't from here.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,620 times
Default Calling Bull on Mr. Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It is what you make of it.

You were constantly hustling to make ends meet: Cut your costs, gain more skills, a better job, move to a cheaper place, share a place etc...

It was really overcrowded: Choose an area that is less crowded. LA Metro is a huge place and not all locations are overcrowded. You can find serenity in many different parts of the area.

The cost of living was unreasonable: again, see the first point.
Everything they said about LA is true....it's incredibly crowded, EVERYWHERE, and even wealthy people who can afford a home have to battle through population. The west side is even more crowded than Metro LA or the east side. Do not try and misrepresent the terrible quality of life in LA area. You yourself might be okay with the downside of living here, but people need to be aware of how bad it is if they are considering LA.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:49 AM

98 posts, read 88,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyj1235 View Post
Everything they said about LA is true....it's incredibly crowded, EVERYWHERE, and even wealthy people who can afford a home have to battle through population. The west side is even more crowded than Metro LA or the east side. Do not try and misrepresent the terrible quality of life in LA area. You yourself might be okay with the downside of living here, but people need to be aware of how bad it is if they are considering LA.
Pretty shocking that a place with perfect weather every day, beaches, high-paying jobs, world-class museums and entertainment venues, and any cuisine you can think of is crowded.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:38 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,121 times
Los Angeles is crowded? Wow, who knew?

Old 10-22-2018, 09:53 AM

381 posts, read 344,358 times
I've always loved LA, but I bet over the past few years more people would agree that the quality of life has become worse.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:50 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyj1235 View Post
Are you a one post wonder? Your first post is to revivie a 3 year old zombie thread and do a little L.A. bashing?

Yeah, it's crowded. With the crowds comes lots of opportunity. Either you can hack it or you can't. Think it's crowded here? Try San Francisco. Or NYC.

People shouldn't come here with their eyes closed. If they do, shame on them. Mr. Geek is 100% correct.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:48 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I feel honored that someone created an account and bumped an old thread just to "call out my bull'.

*wipes tear from my eye

Old 10-22-2018, 01:53 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I loved living in LA but hated the traffic, which is worse now.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:23 PM

98 posts, read 88,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I loved living in LA but hated the traffic, which is worse now.
All the things you love are probably the result of more people (traffic) living in LA. The restaurants you love are open because people moved here to start them, and the people who moved here keep them in business. The bands you love come play shows here because the crowds are willing to pay for tickets. The weather and nature/scenery are the only things that can't be tied to population growth. People produce traffic. Without the people, LA wouldn't have all the stuff you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles