Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 07:15 AM

12,396 posts, read 8,180,812 times

Advertisements

I was born here, practically everyone I know is here. I could leave the country for the other home and people I know in the Philippines but then I wouldn't be able to work and I am not yet at the point of comfortably retiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 08:02 AM

4,038 posts, read 2,726,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
the whole point in living in big city is to experience the variety it has to offer.

i know many many people who:

- work, go home and eat @ home 99% of the time. almost never go out at bars/clubs, events, etc.

my question is, if you're looking to just raise your family in your house without experiencing the city you live in, why the hell are you in LA?

why not move to the midwest? if weather is what you're looking for, then move out of LA.

there are SO many people who live here who do NOTHING in the city. it's mostly older people with families.

i have no idea why you'd want to be here if you never go out to eat, drink or to the events the city has to offer.

Well, nobody's required to do all those things just because they're there. I have a full cable package, but I'm not required to watch "SpongeBob Squarepants" just because it's available on a cartoon channel.

Maybe some of those people are fourth-generation, and everybody they know and love is there, so why would they leave? I know a lot of native Coloradans (where I live) who've never gone skiing (a big draw for tourism here). You'd be surprised how many folk may not pay mind to something they've grown up with.

Their jobs may be tying them to the city, even if it's not someplace they particularly *want* to be. There are fields like this.

Maybe their jobs don't pay them enough to afford to go out and experience all that.

If they're raising kids, they may be busy with the kids' schools and activities for awhile.

Or maybe they've 'been there, done that', and it no longer holds any appeal for them.

They may have different interests that would take them out of the city entirely when they get the chance.

I doubt seriously you know the full life history of everybody who 'isn't taking advantage' in the manner you think they should.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:09 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,561,986 times
The beauty of Los Angeles is that you can have any lifestyle you wish, no matter how strange, crazy, or even mundane and boring. I grew up here, and I can't imagine living anywhere else. It's my choice to hide from the traffic and multitudes of people everywhere, but my job is here, my two grown children are here, and the great weather is here. I go on road trips once or twice a year, to the northern coast of California, Yosemite, Mammoth, etc.

I think the reason many people don't go out a lot on the weekends is because housing costs are so high. If you're paying $2,100 for a two-bedroom apartment for you and your family, chances are you're not going to be doing anything expensive for recreation. The first thing to be trimmed in any budget is your discretionary spending (restaurants, shows, films).

Old 12-19-2015, 09:28 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,063,596 times
But the OP knows many many people!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:46 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,666,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
It is a familiar song and dance: Joe Blow from low rent district (like Tampa or Orlando, Fla) comes to LA for 9 months only to leave because of sticker shock. Yet continues to blather on about LA like that girl he says he is over but he knows he'll never get over.
LOL...also a lack of planning on their part. How many threads do we see on here "I have saved up $5,000 and want to move to LA with no job lined up", when you tell them not to they get an attitude. Than it's LA fault, when the same thing would have happened in Dallas or Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Well, nobody's required to do all those things just because they're there. I have a full cable package, but I'm not required to watch "SpongeBob Squarepants" just because it's available on a cartoon channel.

Maybe some of those people are fourth-generation, and everybody they know and love is there, so why would they leave? I know a lot of native Coloradans (where I live) who've never gone skiing (a big draw for tourism here). You'd be surprised how many folk may not pay mind to something they've grown up with.

Their jobs may be tying them to the city, even if it's not someplace they particularly *want* to be. There are fields like this.

Maybe their jobs don't pay them enough to afford to go out and experience all that.

If they're raising kids, they may be busy with the kids' schools and activities for awhile.

Or maybe they've 'been there, done that', and it no longer holds any appeal for them.

They may have different interests that would take them out of the city entirely when they get the chance.

I doubt seriously you know the full life history of everybody who 'isn't taking advantage' in the manner you think they should.
Thank you. The OP is from I think Indiana, and has been in LA for 2 years. He also did a post on how he doesn't understand people who do long commutes, well he rents close to where he works and is single.

People buy homes, change jobs or have to buy homes in outer areas.

He only see things through his very narrow eyes.

I predict he will blow out of town in a couple of years. No family and only sees LA as how it is portrayed on shows like "Entourage".

The beauty of LA is you meet people who think hiking and biking and being a vegan are the way to go, people who are into the arts and reading, and people like the OP who think closing bars 3 or 4 nights a week are the way to go...to each his own.

He doesn't get that.

What you value at 26, isn't what you value at 38, and that changes again past 50.

And again the irony is he starts threads asking about areas that are less than 30 minutes away from he is, so it doesn't sound like he explores much. You ask about a part of Hollywood and what it is like to live there, when you say you live in Beverly Hills.....doesn't make sense.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:55 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,798,268 times
So people in Los Angeles are automatically expected to go out all the time because it's a mega city? That is one of the weirdest things I've heard.

I was born here and I enjoy going to The Last Bookstore in Downtown Los Angeles. So what? Some people aren't here for the fun, some may be here for the weather or the other amenities of Los Angeles.

Sheesh, I really can't with some of these threads.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:24 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,315,834 times
Because those people are often from here, their lives are here, jobs, family, etc.

I actually do enjoy bars and clubs and restaurants, but not to such an extent that I couldn't have a similar experience at any mid sized American city. I'm just here because this is where I am.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:25 AM

8,361 posts, read 6,452,070 times
Maybe they don't like to pay rip off prices in restraunts and aren't drunks.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:29 AM

4,038 posts, read 2,726,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL...also a lack of planning on their part. How many threads do we see on here "I have saved up $5,000 and want to move to LA with no job lined up", when you tell them not to they get an attitude. Than it's LA fault, when the same thing would have happened in Dallas or Seattle.
We get a lot of the same in the Colorado forums--"I want to move to Colorado but I don't have a job or a place to stay and $250 in the bank and I want a 3000 sq foot home in the mountains but with public transport and close to the nightlife of Denver for $200K." (Marijuana may or may not get mentioned in there somewhere.)

We spend a lot of time bursting people's bubbles on that.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:51 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,249,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Maybe they don't like to pay rip off prices in restraunts and aren't drunks.
Then maybe they should move to Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles