Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 01:13 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwnwbrwncw View Post
Are you out of your mind?

So why would landlords do any maintenance on a property? There certainly wouldn't be any new construction of apartments if rents are frozen. If you think this would actually help renters' situations you are sorely mistaken.

You should write a letter to Bernie and see if he can give everyone free rent.
A lot of landlords are slumlords who don't do any maintenance, yet keep raising rents the maximum.

All the new construction (minus the couple of mandatory affordable housing units) are only affordable to the top 2% anyway.

Landlords are greedy pigs that should be punished and stripped of their ability to screw over everyday people. That's why we have so many homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 01:23 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
A lot of landlords are slumlords who don't do any maintenance, yet keep raising rents the maximum.

All the new construction (minus the couple of mandatory affordable housing units) are only affordable to the top 2% anyway.

Landlords are greedy pigs that should be punished and stripped of their ability to screw over everyday people. That's why we have so many homeless.
Actually, we have so many homeless because the weather is great year round and we have a liberal state and local government that enables the situation

Old 02-25-2016, 01:30 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,192 times
Quote:
Do you have something to add to this conversation?

I would love to hear your erudite response as I am certain when it comes to such fascinating subjects like economics and real estate you are an esteemed expert.

Perhaps if you could expand your evocative elocutions to more than one simple sentence per petulant post that would be fantastic, if not fabulous. As it were, your posts generally fail to be coherent much less insightful.
LOL @ you!!!.... Man you can't be serious now..

No one cares about your problems.

Last edited by owl6969; 02-25-2016 at 02:38 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 01:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
That sucks they are raising it so much...but it doesn't sound like a great situation anyways.

Without rent control they can raise to whatever amount they wish.

I don't think rent control is a good policy or the answer...but I know I would be upset with a $400 mo rent increase too

Old 02-25-2016, 02:31 PM

160 posts, read 148,613 times
Quote:
There is no "maximum" unless you're in a rent control. And why wouldn't they raise it the maximum every year since it's probably way under market anyways?
Quote:
Affordable housing is not "mandatory". Also there's tons of LIHTC, but I'm sure you know nothing about that.

Also while new units may be only affordable to the top 2% (which is factually not true as the top 2% are owning not renting) there's an effect called filtration. It puts downward pressure on older units' rental rates.

http://www.realestatewords.com/filtering-down-process/

Quote:
I guess we should just go straight to federal housing projects then. Because we all know how well those turned out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruitt%E2%80%93Igoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrin...%93Green_Homes

etc

I'm glad that you've been screwed over by landlords in the past. Sounds like you deserve it for being a whiner begging for handouts from the government.

Last edited by Hwnwbrwncw; 02-25-2016 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
LOL @ you!!!.... Man you can't be serious now..

No one cares about your problems.
What an insightful post. As always, your keen intellect has illuminated the solution for affordable housing in LA.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:15 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
There is no "maximum" unless you're in a rent control. And why wouldn't they raise it the maximum every year since it's probably way under market anyways?

Affordable housing is not "mandatory". Also there's tons of LIHTC, but I'm sure you know nothing about that.

Also while new units may be only affordable to the top 2% (which is factually not true as the top 2% are owning not renting) there's an effect called filtration. It puts downward pressure on older units' rental rates.

Filtering Down Process | Real Estate Words

I guess we should just go straight to federal housing projects then. Because we all know how well those turned out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruitt%E2%80%93Igoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrin...%93Green_Homes

etc

I'm glad that you've been screwed over by landlords in the past. Sounds like you deserve it for being a whiner begging for handouts from the government.
Most units are rent controlled to some degree. But the ones that aren't, the maximum is some absurd number, like 20-30%. Nothing is under market anymore, unless you have some naive old person.

In LA, the top 2%, even many of the top 1%, have to rent.

Housing projects turned out okay.

I actually am generally on landlord's sides, but things have gone too far in the other direction.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:21 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,192 times
Quote:
What an insightful post. As always, your keen intellect has illuminated the solution for affordable housing in LA.
Huh????? You keep saying the same unrelated ****....

This is about some other ****

Last edited by owl6969; 02-25-2016 at 03:55 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 03:22 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I would consider this your invitation to move.

And, after reading your OP...why would even consider staying rent hike or not?

Old 02-25-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Most units are rent controlled to some degree. But the ones that aren't, the maximum is some absurd number, like 20-30%. Nothing is under market anymore, unless you have some naive old person.
This isn't true. At the end of a lease so long as the landlord gives proper notice (and the unit isn't rent stabilized) there is no limit on the rent increase. Where did you get that idea?
In LA, the top 2%, even many of the top 1%, have to rent.
You think the majority of people in LA that earn $325,000 (top 2%) a year rent??
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-map.html?_r=0
There is no way that's true.

Housing projects turned out okay.

Other than the fact they were considered a complete failure and the majority of them have been bulldozed because it led to such crime and dangerous living situations.

I actually am generally on landlord's sides, but things have gone too far in the other direction.
Other than the fact you call them greedy pigs and a bunch of other derogatory terms. Sure you are.
Response in blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles