Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 03:03 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
I do not see it that way. If you remove the non-tech companies, the non-existent companies (plenty of those in the list), and the tiny companies (<10), there is nothing left. I do not care if a company is a startup or not, just give me interesting tech.
NastyGal is a tech company of 200 employees and over half a million customers worldwide and its HQ'd downtown. A big reason for the tech scene taking off quicker on the west side is the fact that there is land to build sprawling campus-like offices, which techies seem to like. The office space downtown is outdated and unappealing to techies because they prefer "creative office space", but some companies are renovating downtowns commercial buildings into this in order to attract more tech companies.

I think in time you will start to see a lot more pop up, especially with the Expo Lines influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 03:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
NastyGal is considered a tech company? I thought it was a clothing company.
Nasty Gal
They sell online and also through retail stores..but I'm not sure I'd consider them a tech company.

I agree that the westside is more attractive because it's less dense than downtown.

I've seen lot's of new big 'campus' buildings in Culver City and others areas. There is also a lot of this going on in El Segundo , big new business parks and stuff.

There could be potential spaces surrounding downtown or in South L.A, but the Westside areas are going to be more desirable at least at this time.

Another reason that other cities outside of the city L.A can be appealing is because of incentives or tax breaks that these cities like El Segundo can offer.

This article isn't about tech companies , but it describes why some companies prefer to open and operate outside the city of L.A . Less bureaucracy and nonsense.
Craft brewers find it&#x2019;s best to do business outside of L.A.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:07 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
NastyGal is considered a tech company? I thought it was a clothing company.
Nasty Gal
They sell online and also through retail stores..but I'm not sure I'd consider them a tech company.

I agree that the westside is more attractive because it's less dense than downtown.

I've seen lot's of new big 'campus' buildings in Culver City and others areas. There is also a lot of this going on in El Segundo , big new business parks and stuff.

There could be potential spaces surrounding downtown or in South L.A, but the Westside areas are going to be more desirable at least at this time.

Another reason that other cities outside of the city L.A can be appealing is because of incentives or tax breaks that these cities like El Segundo can offer.

This article isn't about tech companies , but it describes why some companies prefer to open and operate outside the city of L.A . Less bureaucracy and nonsense.
Craft brewers find it&#x2019;s best to do business outside of L.A.
I think I was thinking of startups rather than strictly tech so my bad.

I don't know if I would say that operating outside the city of LA is more appealing seeing as many of the major startups are in Venice as well (Snapchat for example, which has more daily users than Twitter and Facebook now), also Playa Vista is seeing a huge influx of tech workers and office space. Google and Facebook will be taking up a huge amount of space there very soon in new campuses such as the Brickyard.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,851 times
"Will it take away demand Silicon Valleys, will dramatically change areas such Culver City?"

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Beach[/url]

Visit C3atCulverPointe.com to see how Culver City prepares office space for Playa Vista overflow.

Unsustainable Silicon Valley & San Francisco continue to wear the tech crown but growing content players insist on Silicon Beach, Hollywood & Burbank.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:44 AM

I guess the future of offices looks like many of today's college campuses.
No wonder these startups aren't making any profit...they are playing foosball all day!

Old 07-03-2016, 05:42 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
The last thing LA beach cities need is bad looking people from the bay area.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:01 PM

15 posts, read 12,399 times
I believe the effect has already started to take place. you take a city like torrance and look at the upscale car dealerships that have recently opened (ferrari & Maserati) and the remodel of the Del Amo mall (looks like the Beverly center now) and you realize that the developers are preparing for people who can afford luxury goods.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:48 PM

I don't think the Beverly center is that appealing really . Always reminded me of an airport
I read recently that it's getting a remodel too

I do agree though we are seeing things get more upscale and gentrify as higher income people move in, it makes sense though .

Old 04-30-2017, 05:53 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,463,364 times
Why Silicon Beach will still lure tech talent despite skyrocketing prices

Old 04-30-2017, 07:00 PM

From the article

"The average tech worker in their mid-20s to early 30s is willing to shell out between $2 million and $3 million on average — sometimes paid upfront in cash — on a new place close to their employer, according to Lee Johnson, a local realtor for Sotheby’s International Realty. Snap billionaire co-founder and CTO Bobby Murphy, for instance, purchased a new $2.1 million home in Venice, Calif., just 11 blocks from Snap’s headquarters."

Seems unlikely the "average " tech worker is buying $2-3 million homes . Of course the billionaire cofounder of snap can easily buy a $2.1 million home .

Article also mentions a tech founder that sold his company in 2014 for $200 million and saying how L.A is more affordable than the Bay Area , kind of funny .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles