Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 7,874 times

Advertisements

Hello! Hubby just took a job in Santa Monica, and we are moving this summer. Never been to LA area, and am looking for a good school district with a reasonable commute (less than an hour on average). Can anyone give me a realistic idea of commute times from Calabasas to Santa Monica? Any other family friendly areas within a reasonable drive? I have middle and high school age girls. It is overwhelming to find where to look when you are 3000 miles away! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 10:20 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
i've known people who have had worse commutes, but calabasas to santa monica is certainly over an hour. my wife commuted from encino to santa monica and that was over an hour as a point of reference. living in calabasas would give you the option of taking topanga canyon to PCH to get to Santa Monica (to avoid the dreaded 405/101 intersection), but that would no doubt take over an hour as well. i think you're on to something with your other thread asking about culver city, assuming you don't mind an older, smaller home. if you can afford calabasas, you can probably afford culver city as well.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:42 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Why not live in SM or Malibu?

Old 05-10-2016, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,874 times
We have two children and it is costly to have enough space in those areas! Believe me, we looked. Can anyone recommend a good, local, rental website for private homes? Like VRBO, but for residential rentals. It is difficult to use MLS listing and real estate websites. We really want a single family home, and we have a budget of $5000. monthly. Schools are important too, hence Calabasas. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:28 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
pay for a westside rentals subscription.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:30 PM

329 posts, read 656,438 times
Look at Torrance and El Segundo as well.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:56 PM

103 posts, read 112,348 times
I would look at Van Nuys, Northridge, Reseda.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:04 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoj36 View Post
I would look at Van Nuys, Northridge, Reseda.
OP - ignore this. These towns are in the Valley, poster was 'king w/ you (you'll get a lot of that on this forum, just FYI).

Torrance was a good suggestion. Maybe more vacancies? Nice town, close to the beach.

GL!

Old 05-10-2016, 01:34 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,242 times
Calabasas to Santa Monica may not be that bad if you take Las Virgenes rd to PCH and then down. My son lives in Calabasas and has to go down to west LA for meetings. He says it takes him about an hour. He has to be down there at 8am, and he said he leaves about 6:45 and has never been late. He takes the coast and then cuts back on the 10. So it would be just about the same as if going to Santa Monica. The freeways are horrible in the mornings, so he doesn't take them. Agoura & Oak Park are great, just a tiny bit further than Calabasas.

Other areas to look at, as mentioned above Culver City is good. They have their own school district - not part of LA County (which would be a huge plus). There are lots of nice areas around Santa Monica but rents are probably high. Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, lots of west LA is nice. As mentioned above Torrance/Palos Verdes has some nice areas, too. I have heard their schools are good.

Maybe find a realtor to help you. They can do the legwork for you and find you a nice location that fits in your price range.

We live in Thousand Oaks which is a fabulous place to live, but a commute to Santa Monica would take probably 90 minutes during rush hour. (basing that on my son in Calabasas). Safe city, top schools, family atmosphere! You could rent a very nice home for $5000. Actually, you can rent a very nice home for about $3500.

I am sure this is a tough decision for you, but hopefully you'll find the perfect area.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
You didn't say where you're moving from. Is your husband comfortable driving through mountains on twisty canyon roads with sheer drop-offs? All the routes to PCH ---Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon, Kanan Road or Topanga Canyon involve such roads. People from the flat Midwest especially have trouble getting used to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles