Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:57 AM

57 posts, read 172,764 times

Advertisements

I'm a Canadian who worked in SoCal for a few years a few years ago (Ventura County). Now I've been rehired by the same company, and this time I'll be in their Woodland Hills office (near Warner Center). Last time I had my family with me, but this time, it'll be just me.

Which of the nearby areas would be best (or at least better than others) for me to look for either an inexpensive studio/bachelor apt. or (more likely, 'cause I'd like to keep it under $1000/mo) room sharing? I know there'll be lots of rooms shared near CSUN, but I've got no idea which parts of the Valley are "better" than others. (Safer, not super expensive, more things to do, easier to get around via bicycle/walking/transit.)

Within a 10-mile/1-hour (and not too hilly) bike commute would be best, so I'm guessing Woodland Hills, West Hills, Canoga Park, Chatsworth, Porter Ranch, Northridge, Van Nuys, Encino, Tarzana, Reseda, Winnetka, and maybe Granada Hills or North Hills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 02:44 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
if you want to cycle to the warner center then your best bet is to live near the orange line. the orange line (bus route) has a dedicated bike lane from warner center to chatsworth (north) and north hollywood (east). this will also allow you to bus to work on rainy days. as far as neighborhoods to recommend, the most interesting part of the west valley is probably around warner center. ventura blvd has a lot going on too, but is probably out of your price range and wouldn't be fun to cycle (heavy traffic). CSUN to warner center is probably pushing your 10 mile limit, but may be an option. the west valley is generally not that bad from my experiences, even in the toughest parts (winnetka, reseda, canoga park,...).

Old 06-02-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
if you want to cycle to the warner center then your best bet is to live near the orange line. the orange line (bus route) has a dedicated bike lane from warner center to chatsworth (north) and north hollywood (east). this will also allow you to bus to work on rainy days.
This for sure! It's the only reason why I'd consider going as far east as Van Nuys.

Quote:
as far as neighborhoods to recommend, the most interesting part of the west valley is probably around warner center. ventura blvd has a lot going on too, but is probably out of your price range and wouldn't be fun to cycle (heavy traffic). CSUN to warner center is probably pushing your 10 mile limit, but may be an option. the west valley is generally not that bad from my experiences, even in the toughest parts (winnetka, reseda, canoga park,...).
Certainly finding a place near work would be ideal ... but some quick sniffs on Craigslist and other places suggest that I'd pay a premium for that.

(Also, other than Craigslist, what are good websites to look for apartments and/or room shares?)

Old 06-03-2016, 01:22 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,464 times
Don't forget about Agoura Hills. Once you get into the Conejo Valley it gets really clean, new, little traffic. Not sure about $1000/mo though.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:43 PM

537 posts, read 446,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnorth View Post
I'm a Canadian who worked in SoCal for a few years a few years ago (Ventura County). Now I've been rehired by the same company, and this time I'll be in their Woodland Hills office (near Warner Center). Last time I had my family with me, but this time, it'll be just me.
If you're that old and single as you say.. you should live in downtown or the westside.......

Old 06-06-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Don't forget about Agoura Hills. Once you get into the Conejo Valley it gets really clean, new, little traffic. Not sure about $1000/mo though.
Thanks! I used to live in Camarillo and work in Thousand Oaks; I agree, Agoura Hills is pretty nice. Haven't seen anything I'd call "inexpensive" rental housing, though.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianity View Post
If you're that old and single as you say.. you should live in downtown or the westside.......
Well, I won't be "single" as such; keeping the marriage, just doing the LDR thing with frequent visits back and forth. Specifically what areas would you include in "downtown" and "westside"?

Old 06-06-2016, 06:27 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,968 times
Finding a decent place in a good part of SFV for under $1K/month is next to non-existent.

Below are the only two places in the west part of SFV under $1K that I found on Zillow.

20300 Vanowen St APT 13, Winnetka, CA 91306 | Zillow

23254 Friar St, Woodland Hills, CA 91367 | Zillow

Old 06-06-2016, 10:43 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Did you look in Simi?

Old 06-08-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Finding a decent place in a good part of SFV for under $1K/month is next to non-existent.
Actually, looking at "rooms/shared" on Craigslist, I'm finding a bunch of stuff from $600 and up. Obviously, that's not as ideal as having my own space, but in the right circumstances, it'll do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles