Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2016, 10:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,547,671 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti launches new campaign to aid renters

I wonder how much was spent mailing out pamphlets , door hangers and ads.
This law has been around since 1979, and there has been something called the internet for many many years too.

Also it's funny since I thought from the headline that it was actually going to help renters..it's just giving them a piece of paper with information already available online, and which most renters probably already know about.

Plus since it's a law, if the landlord breaks that law isn't there going to be some punishment anyway?

How ignorant and dumb does he think his constituents are?

Also I found this amusing , "“As we work to build new affordable housing, we also must make sure that residents know about the protections we already have in place,” Garcetti said."

He know that any affordable housing built is only going to be benefit a tiny percentage of those that actually need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 12:37 AM

4,539 posts, read 10,656,656 times
In fairness, the average city of Los Angeles resident is pretty stupid. Take out everyone with college degrees(who probably don't live in rent control eligible units) living in City of LA, and I'd guess an average IQ around 95.

If Garcetti fails, it won't be due to underestimating the average intelligence of his constituents/

Old 07-12-2016, 12:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,678,365 times
That's what you get when hardly anyone votes.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
In fairness, the average city of Los Angeles resident is pretty stupid. Take out everyone with college degrees(who probably don't live in rent control eligible units) living in City of LA, and I'd guess an average IQ around 95.

If Garcetti fails, it won't be due to underestimating the average intelligence of his constituents/
Based on the voting patterns of the people with college degrees I don't know if they're any smarter.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Based on the voting patterns of the people with college degrees I don't know if they're any smarter.
If they can't google , 'los angeles tenants rights' or something similar to get the info, are they actually going to bother reading pamphlets? Doubt it.
Waste of tree. Also it doesn't seem to go with Garcetti's 'green' agenda. Killing trees unnecessarily.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:50 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,573,840 times
Well i actually liked that.

I may be a renter in LA in near future so we'll see.

Go Garcetti!!

Old 07-12-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If they can't google , 'los angeles tenants rights' or something similar to get the info, are they actually going to bother reading pamphlets? Doubt it.
Waste of tree. Also it doesn't seem to go with Garcetti's 'green' agenda. Killing trees unnecessarily.
I agree with you.

What this does is get Garcetti's name out there to more prospective voters for when he runs for re-election and/or another office. Part of the nuts and bolts of politics. What's in the pamphlets doesn't matter as much as the pamphlets boosting his name recognition, in a city where few vote.

I really hope he's a one term mayor, or Hillary will appoint him to some office. Hopefully an office in which he couldn't do any harm, like ambassador to Lesotho...

Old 07-12-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I agree with you.

What this does is get Garcetti's name out there to more prospective voters for when he runs for re-election and/or another office. Part of the nuts and bolts of politics. What's in the pamphlets doesn't matter as much as the pamphlets boosting his name recognition, in a city where few vote.

I really hope he's a one term mayor, or Hillary will appoint him to some office. Hopefully an office in which he couldn't do any harm, like ambassador to Lesotho...
Yes , for sure. It's free marketing for him. He uses the taxpayer money to print the pamphlets and then knows L.A Times or Daily News will pick up the story of how he's a hero for renters with this new campaign of his.

Most people will see it and think "Garcetti = Good" because he's trying to help people. They won't even think about or care about the waste of money.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes , for sure. It's free marketing for him. He uses the taxpayer money to print the pamphlets and then knows L.A Times or Daily News will pick up the story of how he's a hero for renters with this new campaign of his.

Most people will see it and think "Garcetti = Good" because he's trying to help people. They won't even think about or care about the waste of money.
As both Frank Zappa and Donald Trump said, all publicity is good publicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles