Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 12:06 AM

3 posts, read 1,807 times

Advertisements

Hello internet friends.

Splitting time at two offices in Valencia (2 days per week) and Camarillo (1 day per week) and needed some suggestions on where to live.

I'm a single male in his late 20s and would like to live somewhere that has some semblance of a night life. I don't need crazy partying, but would would prefer not to be in full-on suburbia-land just yet. My price range is around 1700 max.

I have been told to look in Studio City/Sherman Oaks, but others have said my commute would be unbearable. I'm only in Camarillo 1 day/week so I don't mind doing one long commute once a week. I checked with google maps and for the most part, it looks like I'd be going against traffic, but I don't know what that would look in practice.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 11:40 AM

908 posts, read 1,304,286 times
I'd definitely put Sherman Oaks and Studio City at the top of the list. Another potential option is Woodland Hills, which while not quite as happening as Sherman Oaks/Studio City, has a lot of nice, new apartments and a couple shopping centers within walking distance. Otherwise, you're going to be in a suburban area like Simi Valley with little to do for a single male in their 20s.

As you say, you're only commuting a total of 3 days, which is not bad at all. The commute is not unbearable. I'd much rather live in an area I like and put up with a slightly longer commute a few days per week than live somewhere I don't like just to shave off a couple hours of driving per week.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
I'd have to agree with what socl88 said. Will add that SO & SC have more of a dense urban feel, lots of street traffic and more walkable. WH is quieter, cleaner, and more spread out. Also, WH is probably more in line with your budget. I doubt you'd be able to touch anyplace in SO or SC with these amenities for around $1,700: http://www.avaloncommunities.com/cal...woodland-hills

To Valencia, it is easier traffic-wise to get to the 118 from WH because you avoid the 405. Also, you can even get to Cam on the 118 if needed when the 101 is jammed (however, in that case recommend the 118 to the 23 to the 101). Also, re "going against traffic," for some bizarre reason that does not apply to the west Valley part of the 101. Traffic is pretty much just the opposite, i.e., heavier going west from the Valley in the morning and heavier going east into the Valley at the end of the day. Go figure. However, after you get out of the Valley going towards Cam, traffic gets increasingly lighter at all times.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:21 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
i'm sure you can find something decent in sherman oaks at your budget. I'd recommend living close to the 405 since the 101/405 intersection may cause you a real commuting headache.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 1,807 times
thanks for the input! In terms of rent, what would I need to pay in SO/SC to be able to afford something similar as the apartments at woodland hills? Could I just get a crappier place for my budget?

Old 07-19-2016, 07:14 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdeuceman View Post
thanks for the input! In terms of rent, what would I need to pay in SO/SC to be able to afford something similar as the apartments at woodland hills? Could I just get a crappier place for my budget?
The same company, same 1 bd Studio City: $2071-$2153 Encino (nearby): $2230

Craigslist for lower-end places in SC & SO are available. But consider parking and laundry needs when looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles