Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,855 times

Advertisements

I recently went with my family to Southern California for a 1 week vacation. I took my wife and two teenage daughters to the obvious tourist locations such as Universal Studios, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier and Disneyland. We had a great time and we welcomed the huge diversity L.A. offers in both people, culture and food. The only thing that made me and mostly my daughters uncomfortable was the amount of black men dating non-black women. Don't get me wrong I believe everyone should date who they want but we found it a bit ridiculous that just about 1 out of every 2 black guys were with a non-black woman (they looked like white and Hispanic woman). At one point my 15 year old daughter told me she is glad she does not live in a place where black men worship non-black women to that extent.

Forgive me if this topic is taboo but can anyone shed some light on this. In our neck of the woods it is mostly white and black people but not much else and black men in Mobile do occasionally date a white women but we love our black women. Why did it seem to us that black men in L.A. and perhaps all over California avoid black women?

P.S. We loved your Mexican, Korean and Thai food. In-N-Out was great as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 06:11 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,409,312 times
You also see black women dating Asian, White, Hispanic, etc. It goes both ways, so why did this bother you?

Old 07-26-2016, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 6,412 times
LOL. Do you really think this only happens in L.A.? This is happening all over the country. Black men idolize light skin and good hair. Black men for some reason need a non-black women to feel good about themselves. Just look at all the black celebrities who either marry or date non-black women. I feel for black women because they have it the worst of all women and if black men are running away from them who is going to date them. But like I said this is not an L.A. issue, just go to any major city and you will encounter the same thing.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
You also see black women dating Asian, White, Hispanic, etc. It goes both ways, so why did this bother you?
To be honest we did not see a single black woman with a non-black man while we were there.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinUp5 View Post
LOL. Do you really think this only happens in L.A.? This is happening all over the country. Black men idolize light skin and good hair. Black men for some reason need a non-black women to feel good about themselves. Just look at all the black celebrities who either marry or date non-black women. I feel for black women because they have it the worst of all women and if black men are running away from them who is going to date them. But like I said this is not an L.A. issue, just go to any major city and you will encounter the same thing.
I have been to Atlanta, Miami, Houston and Chicago over the last year and have yet to see that amount of black men with non-black women in L.A. I often here from black men that there are just not enough black women in their area but I call B.S. because I checked the census and there are many more black women than black men in L.A. and Southern California as a whole. My fellow black men have been conditioned to worship lighter skin and that bothers me as a black man.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,409,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL1 View Post
To be honest we did not see a single black women with a non-black man while we were there.
Well I grew up in LA and I saw it, maybe not as prevalent as black men dating other races but it's definitely there and not as uncommon as you'd like to believe. My family is of Hispanic background and my brother, cousins, friends, as well as myself have all dated black women. My current gf is half Trinidadian and half Filipina although I met her here in Seattle, the point I'm trying to make is that perhaps it's more of a Southern thing as well as lack of diversity in your neck of the woods.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:36 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,922,376 times
They probably don't want to deal with the attitude and obnoxious behavior

Old 07-26-2016, 06:51 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,159,399 times
Race and Attraction, 2009 – 2014 « OkTrends

Old 07-26-2016, 07:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,061,494 times
Some perspective on the differences between Mobile, AL & other cities -vs- Los Angeles:

Percentage Black residents, per US Census:
City, not County or metro

Atlanta, GA:54.0%
Mobile, AL: 50.6%
Chicago, IL: 32.9%
Houston, TX: 23.7%
Miami, FL: 19.2%

Los Angeles: 9.6%

Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,689,177 times
It's not the L.A. forum without one of these again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles