Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 01:55 PM

70 posts, read 148,260 times

Advertisements

Our DWP has a (fairly) new program that gives customers free A/C inspection, tune-up, and even a smart thermostat if you don't have one.

Cut your AC costs: DWP's free new program to upgrade your cooling system - MyNewsLA.com
https://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/faces/la...ams/r-sm-acopt

I haven't found any online discussions or customer experiences, though. Has anyone been through the program and actually had a contractor show up? Did you get a thermostat? If so, which model was it? If you bought one and got a rebate, what was the process and rebate amount?

I registered a month ago, and so far just know I'm still in the queue, haven't made it to scheduling yet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 12:40 AM

Bump... if there are zero responses, I wonder if anyone has ever actually got anything out of the program..

Old 02-02-2017, 04:10 PM

Well, looks like I'm the only person in L.A. who has heard about the program, cares about it, read any of the newspaper articles about it from last April, or is trying to use it.

So writing to myself... I finally received my confirmation and appointment, I was 3 months in the queue. They do have a phone number where reps answer promptly, but they were obviously instructed to keep their lips sealed on any time estimates.

Another important aspect, the program information is misleading:

Quote:
Services to be Performed

AC contractors will provide the following services, if applicable, for customers already enrolled in the program:
Install smart programmable thermostat *

* Smart programmable thermostat, including installation, is offered free of charge [...] If customers elect to purchase a Wi-Fi enabled thermostat other than what is provided in the program, they may apply for a $50 or $75 rebate through the Efficient Product Marketplace.

(And in the FAQ: )

Q: What if I want a different programmable thermostat?
A: If customers elect to purchase a Wi-Fi enabled thermostat other than what is provided in the program, they may apply for a $50 rebate.
They will install a smart thermostat for you (should be a Nest, even). But if you elect to purchase another one, as mentioned above, you forfeit the free installation benefit. They will not install it. Once the A/C contractor comes, you will be left with a clean filter and outside coils, and your new thermostat in its box, having to find your own A/C guy and pay them to install it.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:22 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
I signed up just a few days before they stopped taking new applications. I'm still waiting to receive my appointment.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:10 PM

Ummmm forgot to reply, but looks like the program is still running, so this would be handy even in 2019.

A week after I posted my question, I finally got the call and the technician showed up. Was nothing to impressive, he took measurements at different points in the system,

My appointment also included a free (Nest) smart thermostat w/ installation. The funny part was that he futzed with it for an hour, and couldn't install it. I think he insisted on installing it without a C-wire, even though I had a spare lead in the control cable to wire to the Common in the heat exchanger. Eventually he just gave up and left, leaving me with the Nest.
I sold it on eBay to a happy buyer, bought an ecobee (which is the thermostat I wanted all along ), and had no problem installing it. Been running great with my unit for 8 months.

Moral of the story? The program is real, though don't expect too much out of it. If you don't have a smart thermostat, it's an excellent way of getting one. (Make sure that benefit is still going.) But expect 3-4 months to actually get your appointment. May be best to sign up on Jan/Feb every year...

Old 07-19-2018, 09:11 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
Several years ago I got a whole house fan free from the DWP rebate program. Actually not free you paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles