Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:32 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times

Advertisements

Your friendly, neighborhood moderator here... Please keep this discussion to the topic at hand, which is what information the OP could gather to 1) find out if her neighbors are indeed dealing drugs, and 2) what info she could give the police so that they'll take her concerns seriously.

Whether drugs should be legal or illegal is a discussion best picked up in the Politics forum, please. Any further posts on this will be deleted. Thank you.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:37 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,216,056 times
Are you sure that they aren't just friend that are stopping by? You would need to have some evidence of drug dealing actually taking place. There are hundreds of reasons that many people could be stopping by. Maybe their selling other things. When I was younger and played paintball, I knew someone that ran a decent sized store out of their house. You can't just jump to conclusions.

To those that say they aren't causing trouble, you don't know that for sure. Most murders involving gangs are drug related. Things could seem fine for awhile until a drug deal goes bad. Then someone gets shot at outside while the kids are outside across the street. I've heard this far too many times here in Milwaukee.

Like I said before though, unless you really find something wrong, you don't have the right to accuse them.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 PM

98 posts, read 325,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
The problem with NOT filming the house is that the OP has to go to bed sometime. She can't stay up 24/7 watching the house and writing down details. If the camera is hidden on the side of a window or something, it won't be seen by the people in question. And having a video record will be absolute confirmation if the number of people coming to the house at odd hours is suspicious or not.

While the police always go around saying "please report suspicious activity" the reality is that most police departments operate in a way that discourages or is even outright hostile to citizens doing so. Therefore, if the OP wants to come across as something other than a crank she'll have to have real facts at hand. Also, the camera may actually show that the behavior of the neighbors in question is NOT suspicious, and the OP will be checked from doing something that would unfairly bring the neighbors in question to the attention of the police.

As for the neighbors not bothering anyone around them, that may actually be true. They are probably interested in keeping a low profile. However, that may not be the same for the 'clientele' they attract. Some of these people may need cash quick and may decide that cars and houses nearby are the best targets for raising needed drug money.

Get facts first, report to the police later on.

Facts would be time and length of stay of people who don't live at the address. Makes, models, license plates of cars. Does this 'prove' a crime has been committed? Absolutely not, but it will tell the police that this isn't a wild goose chase.
You cant submit camera evidence in court from a private residence if it is not a security camera.

If it is your home video camera you cant stick it in your window and point it at your neighbor's house!! That is a violation of privacy!!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:43 PM

236 posts, read 1,141,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Like I said before though, unless you really find something wrong, you don't have the right to accuse them.
Yes, I realize this, that is why I'm asking for the advice. I know my "evidence" is not good enough right now.

P.S. - to all who are suggesting videotaping. No way!! I would never videotape my neighbors. I'm home all day anyway, so why couldn't I just look out the window every now and then?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:58 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,409,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Yes, I realize this, that is why I'm asking for the advice. I know my "evidence" is not good enough right now.

P.S. - to all who are suggesting videotaping. No way!! I would never videotape my neighbors. I'm home all day anyway, so why couldn't I just look out the window every now and then?
Including 3 a.m. in the morning? People seeking drugs will generally show up at all hours of the day or night - more likely at night - and fairly late. If this is not happening then you probably don't live next to drug dealers.

As for videotaping the street and front yard of your neighbor's house, I can't see how this is an invasion of privacy. People have no expectation of privacy in their front yards, nor in the street in front of their house.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:10 AM

98 posts, read 325,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Including 3 a.m. in the morning? People seeking drugs will generally show up at all hours of the day or night - more likely at night - and fairly late. If this is not happening then you probably don't live next to drug dealers.

As for videotaping the street and front yard of your neighbor's house, I can't see how this is an invasion of privacy. People have no expectation of privacy in their front yards, nor in the street in front of their house.
you might be right about the expectation of privacy but i would question the validity of the camera. If it is a security system camera installed by a company that would be more permissable than a privately owned home video camera. You would need a good reason to be pointing it at your neighbor' house. I am not sure what reason would work to get past first ammendment rights.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:13 AM

37 posts, read 149,449 times
Default "privacy laws" public property

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerblaine View Post
you might be right about the expectation of privacy but i would question the validity of the camera. If it is a security system camera installed by a company that would be more permissable than a privately owned home video camera. You would need a good reason to be pointing it at your neighbor' house. I am not sure what reason would work to get past first ammendment rights.
It is entirely legal to sit and videotape,film, or photograph the outside of your neighbors house, and any people wandering around on the street or easily visable from any public property. Public buildings too, are allowed to be photographed. That's just the law.
Having a hidden camera in a bathroom is another matter or other places that have a reasonable expectation of privacy like inside a doctors office, dressing rooms, etc.
You are being photographed many times a day - from security cameras in banks, gas stations, stores, etc - so having a camera aimed at the the street and your neighborhood is entirely legal. You do not need any permission or consent to photograph people in public spaces.

See link Bert P. Krages Attorney at Law Photographer's Rights Page

Old 03-02-2008, 07:30 AM

236 posts, read 1,141,579 times
I don't watch them in the middle of the night because I go to bed around 9:30, but there was one occasion when right around midnight they were all out front moving a bunch of furniture from the house to this truck. It was an odd thing to hear and woke me up.... this was just shortly after they had moved in. They just have very peculiar habits.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,019,269 times
My suggestion ...........

Contact your local police department drug enforcement. Submit a complaint and let them handle it, and stay out of their business. The PD will monitor the building. Period.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:44 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,420,150 times
If you really want to do this....

1. Watch from about 9 pm to 2-3 am... Note down what times cars or people came up throughout the night. Generally, if you see a spike in traffic, especially if those people stay for 5 mins, you have a drug house.

2. Take the list to the appropriate police agency and file a complaint. Complain that there has been high traffic in and out of the house (show them your notes).

3. Thank the officer for the help, and let them do their thing. If you are indeed right, the problem will most likely be resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: