Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:36 AM

5 posts, read 2,941 times

Advertisements

My husband is retiring and we're moving to LA to be closer to our son. We are very active, have a lot of interests, and want to walk everywhere. We were originally thinking Los Feliz, but are now drawn to West Hollywood because there is even more walkability, we can get a nicer apartment, and we like that it's clean and attractive. We've been to West Hollywood a handful of times for dinner and drinks and liked the area, but all we hear is that it's a noisy, gay, party town. We do want to sleep at night, but we aren't worried about it being a gay area. Should we? Would we not be welcome in places? We want to eventually become part of a community and make friends, so my main concern is that if there aren't many people over 25, that might be difficult. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:01 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
West Hollywood is a nice area . I used to live in Hollywood about a block from the West Hollywood border . There were actually many senior citizen Russian immigrants in my building and block .

Interesting according to 2010 census data it has an aging population and 88.7 percent of residents are 25 and older .

There is of course a visible gay nightlife scene on Santa Monica Blvd but it's hard to say how many people are going out to West Hollywood to party versus living there . I'd guess many are coming from other parts of the la area and world .

it seems your concern of not many people over 25 doesn't match up with the census data so I'd say go for it if it seems like an area you want to live in .

It does make sense that the age would be higher as it's a pretty expensive area to live in and younger people often have less money .

"The 2010 Census indicates that West Hollywood has an aging population, 88.7% of the residents were age 25 or older. Almost half of the population was adults age 25 to 44 with the largest portion, 26.94%, being age 25 to 34. The City's median age of 40.4 years old far exceeded the County median of 34.8 years old. The city had a very small population of youth with only 5.2% of the residents being age 19 or younger"

Old 02-13-2017, 09:03 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I have a uncle who will be turning 70 next month who lives in West Hollywood. So there are definitely other senior citizens living in the neighborhood.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:17 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,365 times
West Hollywood is not just a gay party town, there are a lot of quiet neighborhoods with all age groups, but it's very expensive. I'm a young gay male and rarely go to WH, all of my friends live here in the SGV, so that's where we party.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:57 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
This is kind of an odd thread(seems we get a lot of them usually based on race) that don't seem quite real.

OP, where are you coming from,and how old are you(some people can retire at 50 others at 70)? How many times have you visited LA? How much of LA have you seen? Where does your son live in LA, and has he been here for many years or is just a recent transplant who could pick up and move in a year or two?

Pasadena is one example of places you can walk to, but will you have a car? You don't want to be walking carrying groceries do you?

Your thread is way too vague.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:07 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
As long as you don't live on Palm, Larrabee, or San Vicente you'll get your quiet. It's not a very young area at all. Most actaul residents are old.

The most upscale, quiet parts are the Norma Triangle (Doheny to Robertson basically) and WeHo West which is south of it.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:07 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndyp View Post
Would we not be welcome in places?
That's about the last thing I'd worry about it. The gay community is nothing if not welcoming.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
That's about the last thing I'd worry about it. The gay community is nothing if not welcoming.
...Unless you voted for Trump , then I'm not sure how welcoming they would be . But the same could be said for L.A in general .

Old 02-13-2017, 11:14 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
...Unless you voted for Trump , then I'm not sure how welcoming they would be . But the same could be said for L.A in general .
*shrug* That's not just a gay thing, though. Besides, how would they know right off the bat?

Old 02-13-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
*shrug* That's not just a gay thing, though. Besides, how would they know right off the bat?
True it's not just a gay thing and they wouldn't know of the bat.. but politics seems to come up in conversation pretty often .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles