Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:35 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times

Advertisements

List of Housing Projects That Would Be Banned by Measure S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 07:48 PM

992 posts, read 876,640 times
This appalling measure must not pass. It will severely set back Los Angeles in an era of political setbacks.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:55 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
It must, and will pass.
I could take the time to counter each and every thing that was posted in that link, but a few facts should be enough.

First we have to much dammed traffic already in this city, and don't need more, which new development would create.

We have too many people living in this city as it is, and development will only bring more.
The streets in this city are in very bad repair, and more development will only make that situation worse.

People don't move out of the city because there is no housing, they move because they want too, to have a better life.
New development will strain our already struggling water needs.
These are just a few of the results of new development in this city.

I say, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
It is time to put a stop to overdevelopment in this city, and measure S will do exactly that.

Bob.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Kind of interesting ..

Mentions different city council candidates positions on Measure S

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/2017/...n-development/

Old 02-09-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
It must, and will pass.
I could take the time to counter each and every thing that was posted in that link, but a few facts should be enough.

First we have to much dammed traffic already in this city, and don't need more, which new development would create.

We have too many people living in this city as it is, and development will only bring more.
The streets in this city are in very bad repair, and more development will only make that situation worse.

People don't move out of the city because there is no housing, they move because they want too, to have a better life.

I say, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
It is time to put a stop to overdevelopment in this city, and measure S will do exactly that.

Bob.
How very selfish and ignorant of you.
1. Most new development creates little traffic because of its mixed use, transit-oriented nature, and often reduces traffic by allowing nearby residents to walk to stores rather than drive to them.
2. More development will increase the wealth and livability of our city, as will more people. I hope that someday Los Angeles will become America's largest city, and if you don't like that, you can move out, because if you don't want more people here, you're being a hypocrite by living here.
3. Yes people want to live here to experience the wonderful life the rest of us have, and it is utterly amoral to tell them they can't have that too.
4. Our water needs aren't struggling. Over 50% of domestic water use is on unnecessary outdoor plants, and most water in California goes to growing crops--many of them like rice, cotton, and almonds, that should be grown in a wetter climate and imported.
5. Our city has never been greater, and that is entirely due to new development. If you don't like dense urban environments, you shouldn't live in America's second largest city.
6. You say enough is enough in a selfish, yet ultimately self-defeating way, yet you (thankfully) do not control Los Angeles. Our city is underdeveloped, and that must change.

Angelinos: turn out and vote no on Measure S.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Kind of interesting ..

Mentions different city council candidates positions on Measure S

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/2017/...n-development/
Bill Zide and David De La Torre both favor measure S. It's time to vote them out.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:09 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,762,488 times
Quote:
It must, and will pass.

I say, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Bob.
You need to take an Econ class. First of all, Los Angeles is not suffering from overdevelopment. In fact, LA is building significantly less units this decade than it has in all decades going back to the 30's. It's falling short of where it should be to be honest.

Secondly, the city will continue to grow, regardless of whether you build or not. Cutting off the construction of supply does not negate the demand. LA is adding 40 people per day, and it's not keeping up with that growth in the form of construction of new units. So then you have new residents competing with current residents for housing, OR you have the upper middle class outbidding the middle class, then outbidding the lower class for current supply. This results in a much more severe housing crisis, increased gentrification, homelessness, etc.

Now that we've established that you can't halt demand, the water situation you mentioned is moot. Either you continue to sprawl outwards, further stretching our water infrastructure, or you maximize the efficiency of the current land by building dense multi-family housing, which, per capita, is far less taxing on the infrastructure, AND the city gains far more tax revenue per acre, which makes funds for fixing those roads and utilities much easier to come by.

Traffic is a whole other thing entirely, but I can garauntee that most traffic is caused by sprawl, and the fact that people have to commute long distances into LA. Density allows people to live closer to jobs, which requires less driving.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:24 PM

787 posts, read 644,585 times
NIMBYism to the rescue.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:18 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
It must, and will pass.

I say, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Bob.
Ever stop to think that the traffic issues was because L.A. has remained the way it is for so long?

Think about it:

LA is spread out. With that fact, people live further from the center where they work. Because it is cheaper. This forces them to drive, thus creating the traffic that you hate. This bill will just continue the trend and traffic WILL get worse.

The new development will allow people to live closer.

Granted the new apartments are expensive, but down the line when even newer ones arrive and the current ones get older, prices will drop in many older units, and supply will meet the demand.

So more people living closer to their jobs, less people driving thus less traffic.

Your fear about traffic woos from the development is a temporary issue while measure S will make it a permanent one.

Now you say we have too many people? My man, do you realize you live in the 2nd largest city in the U.S.? That we live in a global world class city? People WANT to come here, people WILL ALWAYS come here. It's the natural part of things of a big city that you are trying to stop.

Yes it is crowded. It's a given. Wanna live in the big city? Expect big city things.

Overdeveloped? New York is overdeveloped. L.A. is like 75% houses. I'd say it is underdeveloped and overly spread out. But not knocking New York. It's a big city.

What I'm getting at is that people who vote yes are trying to hold the city back. Still thinking this is some 1950s suburban dream. When even the most "suburb" of neighborhoods do not feel like that anymore.

I'm lucky to be born here. But I have friends from other cities who live here and struggle. If the development right now happened decades ago, it would be easier.

The mentality that I see voting for measure S is "Forget the next generation, I got mine!".

Old 02-10-2017, 12:46 AM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
After reading the last four or five post, I am left with the feeling you people relish the word "overcrowded".
That is exactly what is on the horizon if s is defeated.
Downtown will be like New York city.
In New York, when you get the walk sign, there are 100 people crossing the same street as you, at the same time.
Is that your ultimate desire?
Certainly not mine.
In the 47 years I have lived here, I have seen many, many changes, and many, not for the better.
I will give just one example.

When I first moved to Los Angeles, I lived in Hollywood.
One could go out on a friday night, hop in the car, and get anywhere in a five mile radius of Hollywood in less than 15 minutes.
When I could afford it, I left Hollywood, and moved out to the valley.
I hadn't been in Hollywood in many years, and had the unfortunate experience of going there a month ago, on a friday night.
I couldn't believe all the new construction that has taken place there .
From sunset to hollywood blvd, on vine street, I was amazed at the tall buildings now there.
I felt like I was in a different city.

The worst part of that trip to Hollywood was the terrible traffic.
I had turned right on Highland, off sunset, with the hope of going north to the freeway, and from sunset to the entrance to the freeway(about 1 mile) it took an hour and a half.

No you can have your over development, and crowded streets, I will continue living in my little enclave northeast of downtown.
It's quiet, and certainly not overdeveloped.

Anybody with half a brain knows that defeating measure S would cause this city to become another New York.
If you like New York so well, perhaps you should move there .

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles