Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:29 AM

4 posts, read 11,955 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I know this question's been asked and I've searched the forum for it, but I want to specifically ask about the redline. I've asked some future colleagues at Kaiser and no one seems to take the metro to work!

I'm moving from NYC to work at Kaiser Sunset at Vermont and Hollywood Blvd. I'm very familiar with subways and want to know how good is the redline service if I were to choose to live in the neighborhoods served by the redline(downtown, wilshire/vermont, west hollywood). My work hours are typical 7-6.

Also, do most pple use the $70 monthly pass and if anyone knows if Kaiser has some sort of discount for commuters?

Thanks,
HP

Last edited by hppzz; 05-01-2008 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: additional question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 11:57 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
with gas prices expensive as they are, i think the red line would be a great option for just as long as you live near a station as well. otherwise, i would just live in los feliz and walk to work.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:34 PM

you have a good point. It amazes me that 10/10 pple I ask have never ridden the subway even though they live close by. I'm so used to the NYC subways running every few minutes...i'm just wary of how reliable the LA subways are.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
the subway here is reliable and runs fairly frequently, however, it is only one line with only two branches, so it doesn't reach too many destinations.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:32 AM

137 posts, read 602,795 times
If you just take the train Mon-Fri only and stay on just the redline, like myself, it currently does not make sense to get a month long pass. Do the math: $1.25 each way, $2.50 a day x 23 days = $57.50.

It is somewhat of a pain to get a ticket every time you ride, but the machines take credit card.

I take the train from the sunset/vermont station to downtown, very reliable (My wife is at Childrens Hospital accross from Kaiser)

We are moving to Pasadena and I am still planning on taking the Gold to Red to get to work, and convinced my wife to do the same since the train is so easy.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:05 PM

Default re:LArenter

Hey LArenter,

Thanks for the analysis. I didn't realize it was 1.25 per ride. $57 is about a tank of gas nowadays!!! I wonder if kaiser has some sort of reduced fare for public transportation.

I'm thinking of staying on the redline...either west hollywood, vermont/wilshire, downtown.....

or probably just stay close by in los feliz and walk to work and take the redline when I want to go out to west hollywood etc...

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2008, 12:13 AM

34 posts, read 177,046 times
Hey LARenter,

I thought you said that you didn't feel safe letting your wife take the Subway alone?

So, you guys are settling on Pasadena, eh? It's such a nice area - no edginess at all! We are here visiting and house hunting (my wife is starting at Kaiser in June), but I think we're going to take everyone's advice and try and live as close as possible to Sunset/Vermont.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:01 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlus View Post
Hey LARenter,

I thought you said that you didn't feel safe letting your wife take the Subway alone?

So, you guys are settling on Pasadena, eh? It's such a nice area - no edginess at all! We are here visiting and house hunting (my wife is starting at Kaiser in June), but I think we're going to take everyone's advice and try and live as close as possible to Sunset/Vermont.
The $5 all-day gig is great for the train. And they are plenty reliable, as far as I'm concerned. They run every few minutes during rush hour, and not so often late at night, but they RUN and are clean. I usually take it from Union Station to Hollywood/Vine: less than 20 minutes.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:45 PM

137 posts, read 602,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlus View Post
Hey LARenter,

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

J/K, we currently only have one car and given our impending mortgage payments we intend on trying to keep it that way.

We were looking at a small home on San Rafael Hill in Pasadena but it needed some work. We were in the middle of negotiations when we decided to visit a few open houses last Sunday. We found this turnkey in Northeast and after 4 counters, we open Escrow on Friday! What a difference a week makes!

We are less than a mile from the Sierra Madre station on the Redline. So, the days that my wife is not on-call and has to work normal hours she will most likely take the train. But, I stand by my earlier statement to you Singlus that I wouldn't want her taking the Redline after say 8:00. I'm sure it is fine, but hey, she's my wife.

I guess next month I have to change my screen name.

Last edited by LArenter; 05-03-2008 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: My poor grammar and my inability to catch spelling mistakes

Old 05-04-2008, 12:12 AM

240 posts, read 1,423,617 times
I sometimes get the colors of the trains mixed up, but I'm fairly certain that the red line that goes to Kaiser at Vermont/Sunset is very reliable. The only times it has not been reliable is when we have had a transit strike, which thankfully, doesn't happen that often, but it does happen. Usually the transit strike doesn't last long, but one a couple of years ago, lasted much longer than it should have. But, they usually warn us in advance when there is going to be a strike so you can plan ahead by renting a car for that week(s).

Many major LA employers provide their employees with a substantial discount to use public transit, so although I do not know Kaiser's policy, I am fairly certain that they offer some type of discount or maybe even a monthly pass.

Los Felix is beautiful. If you can find a place within walking/biking distance to work, that would most likely be your best option. Another option is the brand new apartments they are leasing right at the Wilshire/Vermont station. You would simply step out of your building into the subway and be at work within about ten minutes. Not bad for a LA commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles