Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 06:55 PM

8 posts, read 34,856 times

Advertisements

Hey, I will be moving to the Los Angeles area within the next month. I have a really good housing situation with friends in downtown Los Angeles but my job will be in downtown Long Beach. I know I should probably live in Long Beach, but I would rather live in downtown Los Angeles. I know the commute Long Beach to Los Angeles would be rough but what about the opposite? I feel like I would be going the opposite way of the traffic because most people would commute from Long Beach into LA and I would be going the other way. Any thoughts? Anyone ever done this commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 09:17 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
There is no opposite traffic in LA. 1-1.5 hours in rush hour depending on accidents

Old 01-09-2017, 11:36 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
There is no opposite traffic in LA. 1-1.5 hours in rush hour depending on accidents
I disagree. Once you get south of the 10 or east of the 5 the traffic is very light. Long Beach are is large so you might run into street traffic. Even the 405 south is light from the 110. I'd say you'll typically spend 45 minutes on the freeway at most. To and from the freeway is the variable.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:05 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcam36 View Post
Hey, I will be moving to the Los Angeles area within the next month. I have a really good housing situation with friends in downtown Los Angeles but my job will be in downtown Long Beach. I know I should probably live in Long Beach, but I would rather live in downtown Los Angeles. I know the commute Long Beach to Los Angeles would be rough but what about the opposite? I feel like I would be going the opposite way of the traffic because most people would commute from Long Beach into LA and I would be going the other way. Any thoughts? Anyone ever done this commute?
Why not commute on the blue line between Downtown LA and Long Beach? Assuming your office in L.B. is not too far from the Blue Line?

I work in downtown LA and several co-workers do the opposite (Live in Long Beach and work in DTLA). I think going in your direction you will hit less traffic. It won't be smooth sailing the whole way but less traffic than coming from the other direction.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
really?

Old 01-10-2017, 09:00 AM

Really? That long?

Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I disagree. Once you get south of the 10 or east of the 5 the traffic is very light. Long Beach are is large so you might run into street traffic. Even the 405 south is light from the 110. I'd say you'll typically spend 45 minutes on the freeway at most. To and from the freeway is the variable.
So it won't be that bad? I was hoping, I know traffic is bad but dang a hour and a half for 25 miles?

Old 01-10-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Why not commute on the blue line between Downtown LA and Long Beach? Assuming your office in L.B. is not too far from the Blue Line?

I work in downtown LA and several co-workers do the opposite (Live in Long Beach and work in DTLA). I think going in your direction you will hit less traffic. It won't be smooth sailing the whole way but less traffic than coming from the other direction.
I heard that I should use the Blue Line but I am not from there and I have heard that it can be dangerous, so I am just trying to avoid that but if it's not too bad I will consider it for sure. If the driving commute is not too bad, then I may do that. I think I will be working 7 am -4pm

Old 01-10-2017, 10:49 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I work in downtown LA and several co-workers do the opposite (Live in Long Beach and work in DTLA).
Ditto. Work DTLA and co-workers commute from LB.

Your answer is the Blue Line.

The Blue Line, although the worst line of them all, is consistent and depending where you are in both areas should take about an hour. My co-workers from LB are both fragile women, one 55 and one 30. Over the past ~5years they've developed some minor horror stories but honestly you're going to have stories regardless of what line you ride. On the Blue Line you'll also have cell reception so if you're able to work remote you're in a good position to do so.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,778 times
Remember that Long Beach is a huge, active port city. The heavy trucks use the freeways day and night. I have lived here just over a year and enjoy it Very friendly neighbors in my part of the city.Extensive expansion of the waterfront is planned. It is a growing city. My daughter is a nurse near downtown and does not complain. Los Angeles = traffic ..No one seems to work where they live. lol I lived in Venice Beach on the canals and really don't miss it. So while there is no scenic drive, I would live in LB before downtown. I had a biz on 6th and Spring for over 20 years. When the sun goes down, a different population emerges. The homeless problem is a challenge especially downtown....some estimate over 40,000. Let me know what you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles