Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:09 PM

337 posts, read 276,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
There is no good option for those who work near LAX and also live in a family friendly residential neighborhood. This has been true since the late 60's. I know someone who did it from Santa Clarita but developed some marital issues as a result.
Very true especially if you aren't making a significant amount of $. I decided to pass on interviewing at a position that's in the Compton/Watts/South LA area. The commute is way too long from areas I like that I could afford and public transportation is much longer and stops in areas I would not feel comfortable waiting in. If I made more $$ I would want Marina Del Rey, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach etc., but of course couldn't afford it. I did know a guy who commuted as a teacher from Tarzana to Lawndale. He developed an addiction to caffeine. I know people joke about it, but this guy was falling apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 10:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
There is no good option for those who work near LAX and also live in a family friendly residential neighborhood. This has been true since the late 60's. I know someone who did it from Santa Clarita but developed some marital issues as a result.
Hello....ever heard of Torrance?

In the late sixties everything around LAX would have been family friendly except for South LA and possibly Lennox. In the '70s everything except South LA, Inglewood, Lennox, and, later in the decade, Hawthorne and Gardena, would have qualified as family friendly.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
As usual, majoun spouts off about LAUSD without having any idea what he is talking about. The schools in Porter Ranch get 9's and 10's for test scores, better than most suburban school districts, but to majoun they're terrible because there are a lot of schools in other parts of the district like South LA that are full of poor kids that don't do very well on their tests.
Catchment areas are meaningless in LAUSD as LAUSD schools tend to resemble each other more than they resemble the neighborhoods they're located in.

A school district is only as good as the worst neighborhood within it.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:55 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,464 times
The government as well as the company that extracts methane out of there have proven themselves to be unreliable. Between the methane leaks and the proximity to the Santa Susana Field Laboratory I would not want to live there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_...eld_Laboratory

Amazingly property values haven't dropped in Porter Ranch.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:01 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
The Aliso Canyon situation hasn't done much to damper prices or interest in Porter Ranch. It is a nice and growing suburban area.

Commuting to Playa Vista would be insane. My partner lives near Playa Vista and commutes to Santa Monica. For him to get down there from my place in Woodland Hills is very difficult. That 405 is no joke. I couldn't imagine taking it from an even farther place in the valley.

The Valley used to be a bargain, but now the prices don't seem to make that ever-worsening commute worth it. If she works odd hours though, Playa Vista could be ok. If she can work 12-8pm or later then that commute would be pretty decent.

There are no bargains left in LA. Something has to give. The house you want at the price you want with the commute you want during anytime near regular work hours is just not going to happen.

Im planning to give it all up next year and change to a job that pays more and is in an area where my commute can be 20 mins or less. You make slight compromises here and there and keep doing it until eventually you have a life you don't want. Just trying to warn you.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
The government as well as the company that extracts methane out of there have proven themselves to be unreliable. Between the methane leaks and the proximity to the Santa Susana Field Laboratory I would not want to live there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_...eld_Laboratory

Amazingly property values haven't dropped in Porter Ranch.
Yet. But the number of foreclosures and short sales has skyrocketed. The lack of a big drop in values so far reflects how many buyers in today's market are from across the Pacific and are using their properties purely for investment purposes, not intending to live in them. In addition, considering how much environmental disaster there is in China, a Chinese buyer wouldn't be deterred by the gas leak because it would probably be considered normal over there.

IMO someone who would buy there would have to be insane but then again I don't want to buy something to tie my money up in so the PRC won't be able to touch it.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:59 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Catchment areas are meaningless in LAUSD as LAUSD schools tend to resemble each other more than they resemble the neighborhoods they're located in.

A school district is only as good as the worst neighborhood within it.
Wrong. You cleary don't have any idea what you are talking about, so I'm not sure why you continue to post garbage.

Families are choosing this L.A. school over privates and charters - LA Times

LAUSD Porter Ranch Community School, grades K-8, 45% Asian, 35% White, 10% Hispanic. 10% reduced price lunch (low-income). Test scores high above state avg, 80% exceeding goals (state avg 35-60% exceeding goals)

Castlebay Lane Charter School, grades K-5, 25% Asian, 45% White, 15% Hispanic, 10% Mixed race (mostly white/asian). 10% low income. 75% exceeding goals.

Granada Hills Charter High School: Catchment Area Includes a larger area, so the demographics are different than only Porter Ranch, but still excellent test scores. 20% Asian, 30% White, 40% Hispanic. 50% low income, 75% exceeding goals.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:45 PM

240 posts, read 240,453 times
OP - what's the rest of your criteria? I think everyone has hit on the big important Aliso Canyon Gas Leak stuff at this point... but what was driving you that far north? Is it budget? Maybe we can help you find a different location to focus on instead.

BTW - I have a client working in Playa Vista now who lives in Sherman Oaks by Fashion Square mall. Her commute is 45 mins in rush hour in the AM. Thought that might help with the timing of traffic and distances.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:56 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
There is no good option for those who work near LAX and also live in a family friendly residential neighborhood.
You wouldn't consider Westchester family friendly?

Old 08-04-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Wrong. You cleary don't have any idea what you are talking about, so I'm not sure why you continue to post garbage.

Families are choosing this L.A. school over privates and charters - LA Times

LAUSD Porter Ranch Community School, grades K-8, 45% Asian, 35% White, 10% Hispanic. 10% reduced price lunch (low-income). Test scores high above state avg, 80% exceeding goals (state avg 35-60% exceeding goals)

Castlebay Lane Charter School, grades K-5, 25% Asian, 45% White, 15% Hispanic, 10% Mixed race (mostly white/asian). 10% low income. 75% exceeding goals.

Granada Hills Charter High School: Catchment Area Includes a larger area, so the demographics are different than only Porter Ranch, but still excellent test scores. 20% Asian, 30% White, 40% Hispanic. 50% low income, 75% exceeding goals.
Porter Ranch Community School is not a conventional LAUSD school and the other schools you mentioned are charters. Not what I was talking about.

Charters do provide a good education for those trapped in LAUSD (and PUSD) but entrance into them is not a sure thing. What happens if kids don't get into them? Better to just not take one's chances and not live in an LAUSD area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles