Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:51 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,262,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Exactly . At this point many people with college degrees and full time jobs can't afford L.A so they have to move out of the city or out of the state.

I had read an article a while back that homeless housing was estimated to cost $350,000 a unit to build. With the way construction costs are going it's likely going to be more than that now and a nice profit for the 'affordable/homeless' housing developers that Garcetti and the city councilmembers are buddies with.

When all these homeless housing units get built the homeless will be living in nicer and newer places than the average person in L.A.

Also how are they going to get the mentally ill homeless into this nice new housing if they have options for housing now but refuse to take it?
JM, you do realize the Powers That Be want the state and country to fail, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 09:53 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
We had a homeless lady outside of the school where I teach. At 7:30 AM she was screaming profanities at anyone passing by. A couple who looked like European tourists walked too close and she spit on them. She spit on another teacher walking from the parking garage to the school. We had LAPD out there the whole time and they said they couldn't do anything.

We have a city where people can live outdoors 350 days out of the year with generally comfortable weather. We also have a city that attracts the "creative" class who don't always make it. We also have a city where people come to be homeless. There's a ton of factors and reasons, but we have to get back to some kind of civility enforcement. We have people crapping in bushes or on sidewalks, sleeping across sidewalks, assaulting passerby, etc...

We even had one guy set up his living space and sleeping in a giant pile of blankets right in front of the door we use to exit our parking garage. There was no way out of the garage but to wait for a car to enter and open the auto gate. We were all trapped in there because this guy wasn't waking up and we couldn't push the door open because his body and his crap piles was blocking it. That's happened three times now since school went back in mid-august.

I have no idea how to solve these things, but what will be the tipping point for someone to actually do something about it instead of worrying about the political backlash of looking like a callous city? And seriously, don't launch into some trump/democrat/republican debate. That's not at all helpful to the conversation.
We already have the crazy homeless literally killing innocent people. So I'm not sure what the city is waiting for to take real action. I guess more people need to be killed?

Just one example from last year below. The story hardly got any press really. Of course if it was the other way around there would be protests etc. No doubt this guy was showing signs of being mentally ill and dangerous but everyone just looked the other way , including the police because "it's a homeless person what can we do..."
----
A 46-year-old homeless man will face a murder charge after an elderly man he allegedly beat died on Monday, police said.The attack took place just before 3:30 p.m. on April 2 near 8th Street and Grand Avenue downtown. The suspect, LaFawn Parker, approached the older man, Dong Lee on a sidewalk and punched him several times, Los Angeles police Officer Liliana Preciado said. A security guard from a nearby Whole Foods grocery store who witnessed the beating, pepper sprayed Parker and held him down until police arrived.

85-year-old man brutally beaten in downtown attack dies - LA Times

Old 10-25-2017, 10:04 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,262,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
We already have the crazy homeless literally killing innocent people. So I'm not sure what the city is waiting for to take real action. I guess more people need to be killed?

Just one example from last year below. The story hardly got any press really. Of course if it was the other way around there would be protests etc. No doubt this guy was showing signs of being mentally ill and dangerous but everyone just looked the other way , including the police because "it's a homeless person what can we do..."
----
A 46-year-old homeless man will face a murder charge after an elderly man he allegedly beat died on Monday, police said.The attack took place just before 3:30 p.m. on April 2 near 8th Street and Grand Avenue downtown. The suspect, LaFawn Parker, approached the older man, Dong Lee on a sidewalk and punched him several times, Los Angeles police Officer Liliana Preciado said. A security guard from a nearby Whole Foods grocery store who witnessed the beating, pepper sprayed Parker and held him down until police arrived.

85-year-old man brutally beaten in downtown attack dies - LA Times

40+ people just got killed by the Deep State in Santa Rosa using directed energy weapons. The 2nd amendment is now obsolete. These same people have designed American's downfall.

Why are you Fawning over a Dong? They're merely symptoms of a disease.

Rothschild and Co. are the problem, not the homeless.

Do you even know how the federal reserve works??

Hurr-durr.

Last edited by GSR13; 10-25-2017 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: jm1982 has holes in his education

Old 10-26-2017, 11:11 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,451,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Stop wandering around on the freeway, Scrat.
You ain't seen nothing yet.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:17 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,451,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I'd like to start legislation to have several dozen street people live in your home. Oh, what's that? You don't want that? In that case, your virtue signaling has no credibility here, because your post provides no solution to the problem.
I have a solution to the problem. Too bad the extremes we would have to go to just wouldn't be palatable in this society. Part of it would be that people are expected to care for one another. I doubt it would ride with the likes of you.

And no. They can't stay in my home. It's not a solution either.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:19 AM

206 posts, read 154,506 times
Maybe if rents weren't so high for even a one bedroom there wouldn't be so many homeless. And exaggerated expectations from employers.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:39 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionstars View Post
Maybe if rents weren't so high for even a one bedroom there wouldn't be so many homeless. And exaggerated expectations from employers.
Maybe , but L.A isn't the only game in town especially these days .

Wouldn't it make sense if you see housing costs getting to the point where you will end up homeless you'd look into moving to one of the many affordable cities in America ?

There are places you can rent a nice place for like $600 a month sometimes less . In L.A median one bedroom is $2000

Los Angeles' Median-Priced, 1-Bedroom Apartment Costs $2,000 | L.A. Weekly

Old 10-26-2017, 11:45 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Maybe you can just start some legislation to get a concentration camp set up and we can make you world ****ing perfect. Better yet you people in your cars can make it open season on them if they're caught on the highway. Don't come to me for the damage to your cars either. As a matter of fact you can pay for the concentration camp too while your at it.

Such fine people in this society.
Your are joking right?

Let normal people be the targets of the drug and mentally damaged people instead???????????????????

Fine people would be looking for a way to fix it and that includes putting some potentially dangerous people in a place where they can be secure, helped and watched.

Veterans are another story, as the Gov't only cares about them when they have a gun in their hands and are out of the US.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:39 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Veterans are already given many helps such as lifetime healthcare at the VA, free college, low/no interest housing loan, higher test scores for government jobs, etc. If they don't take advantage of the programs available to them to better themselves, that's their problem. There has to be a limit on society's obligations to them.

Also, disabled people get SSDI. Mental illness would get a person approved for SSDI pretty quickly. Between SSDI and welfare, most of the homeless population would have some income to live on, unless they spend it on drugs and alcohol.
SSDI often takes years to get. You also need an address. And you need someone to advocate for you and help you through all the red tape. Mental illness, maybe....I'm not so sure that mental illness wouldn't happen to most of us if we became homeless in such a heartless society.

Unless you are part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Do something.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:49 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,735,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

Unless you are part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Do something.
Do something....

Like what, pay taxes and walk through their garbage without complaining? I'd hate to think I'm part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles