Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 07:42 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Because we are built stupid for a major city..
I wouldn't say say that. No place is perfect. NYC for example hardly has any long streets that you can drive on for miles if you don't want to be on the highway. Tons of one way streets and streets that cut off after like 10 blocks.

I think a more reasonable answer is that LA is most likely home to a huge portion of people that don't work conventional jobs with conventional 9-5 hours. Because of the entertainment industry and concentration of people into health and fitness, we a glut of people that are Waiters, Bartenders, Personal Trainers, Actors, Musicians, Realtors, Security guards and now Uber/Lyft drivers, who could all be on the road at any given hour. Not to mention all of the cops, firefighters and nurses that work all kinds of shifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Ya, just keep widening the freeways til’ the city is nothing but freeway.

Ever notice that it has never worked to only rely on one mode of transportation?

Your opting for the exact same thing that brought us to this mess.
The HSR they are wasting billions on will do nothing for LA.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:48 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
The truth is people don't want to use public transportation and even if there was an efficient system to use, its ruined by giving out free passes to bums and criminals.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Because 18 million peeps. live in the area? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Los_Angeles

Old 04-09-2018, 10:52 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
There are some many reasons for traffic. Rush hour is bad on freeways and streets. Off peak, the streets aren't bad and freeways are ok but can get busy here and there but it isn't a parking lot.

Anyway, so many people have non traditional jobs. Restaurants, tourism, hotels, retail, fast food, hospitals, airport workers, truck drivers entertainment. Even students like college students dont all go to school at 9-5. Then you have retired people or people of leisure who do errands/activities off hours like shopping at Bloomingdales, brunch at Vanderpumps or get their geriatric colon cleanze or daily heart surgery. Then there are all the people who pick up their kids at school at 3pm. Not sure if they get off work early to pick up kids.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:34 AM

276 posts, read 577,265 times
Thank you, Everyone! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read my post, and thank you so very much for your great comments.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:49 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Ya, just keep widening the freeways til’ the city is nothing but freeway.

Ever notice that it has never worked to only rely on one mode of transportation?

Your opting for the exact same thing that brought us to this mess.
You do understand the so-called high speed train is for that heavily used San Francisco to Los Angeles commute. At best once the Browndoggle is done maybe 50 Angelenos will change their route from going to LAX to going to the train station downtown. Or perhaps Governor Schwarzenegger, if he had reason to go north in retirement would take the odd trip on the train instead of his private jet to look good for the political lemmings. Massive return on investment this train is going to be.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:24 AM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
My favorite time to leave LA to come back down to SD is after 9PM. I can make it back down here in 90 mins flat, if I leave at any point during the afternoon or early evening it will take 2.5 to 3 hours.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:18 PM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times
"I want to know why I10 East out of Santa Monica is literally parking lot jammed at 8PM. Yes, at night."

Many companies now will permit people to juggle their hours to avoid peak commute times. My husband works with a number of people who come from SGV (as well as Orange and Ventura Counties) to the Westside. They all either leave home early enough to get to work about 6am and leave around 2ish, or they get there later in the day around 11 and leave 7.30ish. If they don't do that, it can take them many hours to commute. It cuts down their individual commute, but possibly extends the overall length of "rush hour" for commuters in general. Hence the 10 being jammed at 8pm.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:24 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
That is also prime time for people that have jobs that involve driving from place to place.

Pharmaceutical sales rep... out on the road driving to clients. District manager for supermarkets, driving between stores. A/C Repair guy, driving to people's houses. Gardeners.. driving to people's houses. Life Insurance Sales Person... going to meet a prospective client for lunch. Writer, driving to a Starbucks to go work on their script. DirecTV guy, driving to fix service at a house, and it goes on and on and on. SoCal's freeways can't even handle this type of afternoon work/driving pattern that is common in cities nationwide. There are just more people in SoCal for the roads, so it still results in stop and go traffic still because you have 5,000 life insurance reps going to meet clients, not 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles