Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 05:20 AM

7,355 posts, read 4,138,516 times

Advertisements

The rule for NYC, is no more than 30% for housing without car expenses. After NYC taxes (similar to CA), $50,000 salary would be a little more than $3,200 per month. A third would be $1,100 - $1,200 per month. Obviously, you would be hard pressed to get a NYC apartment for that amount, so you would have to look for someone looking for another roommate.

When you plan out your monthly budget figure no more than 30% after taxes for housing. Your landlord will ask for your tax returns and a letter from your employer confirming your current salary. If rent is more than 30% after taxes, you will not get the apartment. Then you need to factor in student loan debts and car expenses. You should be able to do the math yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 05:29 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
The rule for NYC, is no more than 30% for housing without car expenses. After NYC taxes (similar to CA), $50,000 salary would be a little more than $3,200 per month. A third would be $1,100 - $1,200 per month. Obviously, you would be hard pressed to get a NYC apartment for that amount, so you would have to look for someone looking for another roommate.

When you plan out your monthly budget figure no more than 30% after taxes for housing. Your landlord will ask for your tax returns and a letter from your employer confirming your current salary. If rent is more than 30% after taxes, you will not get the apartment. Then you need to factor in student loan debts and car expenses. You should be able to do the math yourself.
Most places go by 1/3 gross income, not net, and ask for a pay stub.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:48 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabihaS View Post
Just for curiosity, is there a comfortable living in LA for someone who might earn 50k in their field?

Comfortable , if you like living in a cardboard box. We lived there, and $50K is just above poverty level. We made a lot more than that and were just making it.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:39 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, exactly. OP isn't looking to buy a house. So that is not a concern. Sounds like a young person, I say go for it, don't want to be 50 and doing the "what ifs". People who don't even live in LA or even visited dishing out advice on a subject they have no real knowledge on. Basing it strictly on home prices or too much "Entourage".

They could find a situation similar to yours, someone who owns a condo or a home who needs roommates. Or they could do a 2 bedroom/ 2 bath apt, probably pay around $900 or a $1,000 a month for a decent place.

WTH are you talking about? I know people renting here who pay way less than that.

Oh my, now you're just making things up.....LOL. I have NEVER spent anything close to that, I shop at Vons, Trader Joes, and Gelsons, and I eat fresh vegetables, organic beef, etc.

To quote Jack Nicholson "go sell crazy someplace else, we're full up here".

They come into CA from other parts of the country for the most part, if you're going to be on the street you can live in Southern CA and not freeze to death at night. They also come from other countries, was a report on the news not that long ago and the homeless in Venice Beach were from all over.

While some are CA residents, many aren't.
I also have a few friends who lived/recently lived in LA and they were not paying an arm and a leg. I have a friend paying just over $1800 for a very nice, large one bedroom in a smaller building. He has granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, covered parking, central AC, but it doesn’t have a lot of the big building amenities. It is in a really nice neighborhood as well. He takes public transport to work and lives with his SO, so his cost of living is really quite low. My other friend who moved out last year was paying much less than that and was in an okay area. I think he said he’d managed to find a place that was around $1100 for a while (recently) living alone and again, it was not in a bad area.

I’d imagine that with roommates, you could definitely stay within that range. I was asking my friend what places cost when I was out there earlier this year and it really did not sound THAT bad as long as you weren’t looking for the highest end accommodations.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabihaS View Post
Just for curiosity, is there a comfortable living in LA for someone who might earn 50k in their field?
Is that net or gross? Either way, 50k isn't enough to live in the LA area. You might have better luck on Skid Row.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:21 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Not in the city center, at least. 50k would mean homeless. Most people I know in LA making that either live in a sketchy neighborhood or put up with a long commute.
Or renting a room in a house.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:44 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
The rule for NYC, is no more than 30% for housing without car expenses. After NYC taxes (similar to CA), $50,000 salary would be a little more than $3,200 per month. A third would be $1,100 - $1,200 per month.
Last time I rented in NYC the general criteria was gross income had to be 40x monthly rent, which is pretty close to you formula. A 40x multiple would allow you to rent a $1250/month apt.

I did look at a Manhattan coop that allowed subleases that required a 60x multiple.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I also have a few friends who lived/recently lived in LA and they were not paying an arm and a leg. I have a friend paying just over $1800 for a very nice, large one bedroom in a smaller building. He has granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, covered parking, central AC, but it doesn’t have a lot of the big building amenities. It is in a really nice neighborhood as well. He takes public transport to work and lives with his SO, so his cost of living is really quite low. My other friend who moved out last year was paying much less than that and was in an okay area. I think he said he’d managed to find a place that was around $1100 for a while (recently) living alone and again, it was not in a bad area.

I’d imagine that with roommates, you could definitely stay within that range. I was asking my friend what places cost when I was out there earlier this year and it really did not sound THAT bad as long as you weren’t looking for the highest end accommodations.
Exactly, so your friend is paying $900 a month for their share of the rent.

I love all these people weighing in, ,many from the east coast who most likely have never even been to CA...lol.

Have a relative who pays $800 a month to share a nice two bedroom/two bath apt in Burbank, now it's technically not LA but surrounded by the City of LA.

OP should have had this thread moved to the LA board, too many "hit and run" comments by people who are clueless.

I remember a poster on the LA board whining about not being able to make it on 60K a year as a single person, well the more they posted the truth came out. They were divorced paying alimony and child support, kid needed braces they didn't have dental coverage, car note...you get the picture.

Unless the OP is saddled with a lot of a debt, for a single person this is doable.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:56 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly, so your friend is paying $900 a month for their share of the rent.

I love all these people weighing in, ,many from the east coast who most likely have never even been to CA...lol.
Psh, I lived half of my life in the LA area. I still go back every other year to visit long time friends. OP could get a place at a reasonable rate in San Gabriel, Monrovia, Rosemead, Temple City, Azusa, the far east side of Pasadena, perhaps even on the edge of South Pasadena, La Puente, or near City of Industry.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:42 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Don't even bother. Go for a 50K Job in the midwest, Deep South etc. It goes much further. Avoid the West, NorthEast etc.
^^^This is great advice

If you are single, don't insist on living in a fancy place, and manage your money well then you can live pretty decently in many places in these regions on $50K.

One bedroom apartments rent for $350-$450/mo (some w/ utilities included) in my area. A lot of the Mid-South is pretty inexpensive as well in addition to the places listed above.

$50K might be doable in LA scrimping and sharing living but in other places you could have your own place, own a car, and not have to watch every penny.

I guess it depends on how dead set you are on living in LA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles