Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 7,031 times

Advertisements

Greetings All,

So currently I am in the process of possibly receiving an offer from a college located in LA near the LAX (in the Westchester neighborhood). I have one 4 year old and my husband. We would be moving from Eastern WA to LA and we are looking for a safe neighborhood with really good public elementary schools for our soon to be kindergartener.

The job isn't paying spectacular for the area, the starting range would be in the mid 90's for a salary. Currently I would be the only working person for the family until my husband can find work. We are looking for 2 bedroom apartments for rent between 2K-2600K in a family friendly neighborhood, that's still close to the college I would be working for. I am attempting to avoid long commutes if possible.

I have done research and found that Sherman Oaks and Burbank areas are really nice and inexpensive but it is too far considering the commute time and currently we only have one vehicle. I would be looking to use public transportation or at least Uber everyday until we purchase a second vehicle, when we arrive.

Any advice would help, even with your wisdom on if our family would be able to make it off of 95K in LA.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 08:35 AM

8,335 posts, read 6,421,491 times
At 95,000 your considered rich to me. Live frugally and buy a house.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:42 AM

Thank you V8 Vega, I am hoping to live below our means so we can save. I am just not sure how it will work with food, any fun and of course living.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:05 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
It's fine and doable as long as you don't have too many other debts that you pay monthly.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:36 AM

Mr_Geek, thankfully we are not debt heavy. We own our vehicle, so no car payment. But we foresee purchasing a new one within the year. We are looking at a loan that we are paying off that is 280 and done by the end of the year, student loans is 250 and a small medical bill debt of 280 also by the end of the year. Currently thats the only debts thus far.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:35 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
Culver City usually gets mentioned as a cheapish option on west side that is safe, family friendly and has good public schools. Looks like a few rentals in your price range there

Old 11-06-2018, 01:56 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Going to work for LMU?

Old 11-06-2018, 02:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
Sherman Oaks is a tough commute, Burbank is borderline insane IMHO. For good schools and a reasonable commute, you're looking at Culver City and El Segundo. If you're willing to do some research, you may find some good schools in Westchester as well.

My honest opinion is that you shouldn't move for the salary in question.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:15 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Sherman Oaks is a tough commute, Burbank is borderline insane IMHO. For good schools and a reasonable commute, you're looking at Culver City and El Segundo. If you're willing to do some research, you may find some good schools in Westchester as well.

My honest opinion is that you shouldn't move for the salary in question.
On the surface I agree. If the husband is able to get a job for equal or more money then it may work out fine. If the job was in a different part of LA then it might work out fine. But I make more then OP's projected salary, I support my wife and kid and live in an "affordable" suburb of LA and paying for my condo, 2 used toyotas, insurance, gas, food and a few classes/activities for my kid and my budget is nearly drained. I also don't think housing is getting cheaper here anytime soon despite some people's hopes for a market correction/crash.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Culver City usually gets mentioned as a cheapish option on west side that is safe, family friendly and has good public schools. Looks like a few rentals in your price range there

Thank you! I have been looking into the Culver City area, this appears to be a very convenient and possibly affordable area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles