Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:48 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that’s true , that’s a point of view that isn’t really mentioned at least in the media .

Yeah there is a lot of warehouse space around I don’t think much of it is empty but could be a way to redevelop them or do some kind of mixed use projects I imagine . I know in Santa Monica there used to be a lot of buildings like that on Olympic and now they look nicer at least .
If these commercial properties are redeveloped that won’t be “displacing “ anyone too .
Kind of like downtown la a lot of the new development was never housing , it was industrial /commercial space.

Canoga Park could use some gentrification. A lot of the development is actually in Canoga Park I believe but they use the Warner Center name .

The Westfield Topanga and Topanga village are both in Canoga Park but they don’t like to make a point of that so they call it “Topanga “

Regarding Frys I wonder how they stay in business . They do seem to sell a lot of random stuff . The Burbank one is the same . I know they do Online sales so maybe their online business is keeping them afloat.
I used to go to that Frys in Burbank. I used to love that store. I find it sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 04:40 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I used to go to that Frys in Burbank. I used to love that store. I find it sad.
Is that the one with the UFO theme?

Old 11-23-2018, 09:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Is that the one with the UFO theme?
Yeah that’s the one !

Old 11-24-2018, 01:36 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that’s the one !
I last went there in 2011, and I would have gone back if the Manhattan Beach Fry's wasn't closer. I had no idea the Burbank store is struggling.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:14 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I used to drive to Manhattan Beach Fry's because the Valley didn't have one. This was in the days I was replacing my LPs with CDs and Fry's had great CD prices! (This was before Amazon.) Then I heard a new store would open in Woodland Hills! I was over there a few times during the final weeks of construction, sort of mentally willing them, "Open! Open! Open!" IIRC I first visited that store on a week day shortly after opening.

I don't understand the talk about Fry's Burbank... at risk of closing? I thought Fry's was doing fine. What is going on???

I have a bit of a problem with Fry's. I used to buy all my stuff there: music, computer parts, home electronics. I don't shop there that often any more and part of the problem is for example my recent quest to find a good laptop.

Fry's doesn't carry all the brands! Gotta go to Best Buy for some of the good brands. Fry's has dropped some brands they used to carry.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:32 PM

472 posts, read 325,812 times
Expect MORE unaffordable luxury apartments. If you're a landlord under rent control then demolishing and rebuilding is the only way out. And if you're a homeowner wanting to move out of LA County there is no tax incentive to do so because we just voted NOT to cut people a break on property taxes. Their prop taxes will go WAY up so they don't move and there's less housing on the market and this drives prices up. The road to hell is paved with good intentions!

Old 11-28-2018, 10:21 PM

More people are moving to Los Angeles daily. Yet I haven't seen a single square mile added to LA County since I was old enough to understand the concept.

The only solution is to replace lower density housing with higher density housing. It's happening everywhere and it's going to continue forever. One day SFV will look like NYC, and NYC might resemble some huge, futuristic monolith.

The same thing is happening in the vicinity of west of the Northridge mall between Nordhoff and Plummer, Shirley and Corbin. Some of you may remember K-mart. You can live there now!

Old 11-30-2018, 08:50 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
More people are moving to Los Angeles daily. Yet I haven't seen a single square mile added to LA County since I was old enough to understand the concept.

The only solution is to replace lower density housing with higher density housing. It's happening everywhere and it's going to continue forever. One day SFV will look like NYC, and NYC might resemble some huge, futuristic monolith.

The same thing is happening in the vicinity of west of the Northridge mall between Nordhoff and Plummer, Shirley and Corbin. Some of you may remember K-mart. You can live there now!
Is it this project ?

https://urbanize.la/post/429-apartme...fashion-center

I know there is a lot of housing coming up right next to the northridge mall too .

Northridge seems to be pretty consistently busy for the valley , im sure CSUN helps a lot .
The businesses in the area usually seem to be pretty busy .

Old 11-30-2018, 09:54 PM

Thank you for the interesting article. Your article appears to be discussing a project that has not yet been completed. It didn't have enough detail for me to locate the exact lot, but I suspect the project in the article may be replacing what used to be Teledyne Systems on the NW corner of Nordhoff and Shirley, just east of Corbin.

I recall in the distant past this used to be an orange orchard, until Teledyne based one of their divisions here. It was nice that throughout all the years Teledyne was here they kept some of the orange trees that didn't have to be removed for building or parking. This property has appeared to me to have been underused or possibly even vacant for the last several years.

The properties I referred to earlier are along the east side of Corbin between Nordhoff St. and Plummer. (Don't get confused by Northridge Way, the curved section.) This also includes the properties on the west side of Shirley abutting the mall. The piece that I'm uncertain about is the Teledyne property I referred to above. It makes a lot of sense to put a mixed use commercial/residential project here because the ground level is surrounded by the various shopping malls and strips including the Northridge Mall. The upper stores are impractical for commercial use but this is a great area to live in and luxury high rise housing makes total sense to me.

As I was playing with Google maps satellite view I noticed an interesting apparently vacant lot just south of where Nordhoff Way crosses over the railroad tracks. We don't know when that area was last photographed by satellite but I can tell it's recent (a few years?) because Teledyne is completely gone. I think I saw Teledyne a few years ago, but it's difficult to recall the time stamp on my memories.

Some may bemoan the urbanization of the SFV but I believe it's just inevitable, that as long as people keep moving to the SFV (and LA in general) we are going to have to expand housing to allow them to reside. The traffic in SFV has been horrible for years and gets noticeably worse every year, yet we cannot widen most of the streets and boulevards. In the present many homes face streets such as Nordhoff, many of these have alleys behind for access to garages but there will be no place for visitors to park if the on street parking is eliminated to create an additional traffic lane.

Contrast this with PUDs (planned urban developments) such as proliferate in the newer parts of the Santa Clarita Valley (excepting old Saugus and Newhall). SCV has broad sweeping 3-lane boulevards with no on-street parking. All houses at the periphery of the PUDs face inwards so all you see is the backs of housing in much of SCV. It's sad that most of SFV grew like cancer rather than planned in advance like large parts of SCV.

It will be interesting to watch this area urbanize in the '20s, '30s, and '40s. It's a great area to live in other than the traffic and housing costs. Shopping, entertainment, dining, and all sorts of services are right nearby, and that at least offsets some of the bother of the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles