Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 07:24 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
That's no excuse for riding scooters (or bikes) on the sidewalk. If it's too dangerous to ride a scooter in the street, then don't ride a scooter. Period.

I'm sick of this whiny excuse from bicyclists/scooter riders, "Wah, wah, it's too dangerous to ride in the streets."

Hey, no one is forcing you to ride a scooter anywhere.

Walk. Take a bus or a taxi. Drive a car. There are many safe ways to obey the law.

Request denied. If you don't like it move to another city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 10:52 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
Yes. I try to use the streets as much as possible. However, when you are on a busy street and there is no bike lane, sidewalks are often the safest route.
So you do indeed get a message on your phone regarding the illegality of riding on the sidewalk?

Old 03-20-2019, 01:03 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Imagine you're driving a golf cart on the freeway (you're terrified!). If there's a surface street you can take, you will. That's how scooter/bike riders feel.

When the street is poorly designed (no protected bike lane, high speed limit), you can expect scooters and bikes on the sidewalk. Write your politicians to build more protected bike lanes.
Lol - you're a laugh riot Alice! Next time I'm cruising down Wilshire in my car or on my motorcycle and become frightened of the homicidal drivers I will use the sidewalk for safety reasons.
I'll contact my local politicians and lobby for more vehicle lanes so bicyclists and e scooter rider's can ride in the road where they belong. Of course you have ordained bicyclists and e scooter riders as cool and have no need to put up with the same rules as everyone else.
The twits need to make sure they have insurance coverage when they injure someone while riding on the sidewalk - if hasn't happened already, it will.
I encountered a couple riding side by side on the sidewalk and they complained when I didn't jump out their way. I showed them the statement on one of the scooters that clearly stated to ride in the street only. I advised the least they could do was ride in tandem if they were going to ignore the rules
and hassle pedestrians using the sidewalks lawfully. I'm sure they didn't give a s*** as they are in a special class of people being cool on e scooters.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:12 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
The scooter companies don't even care about local laws and have regularly deployed their scooters into cities under the cover of night without consulting the local government so why should the riders of the scooters care about the law?

Old 03-20-2019, 02:54 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
That's no excuse for riding scooters (or bikes) on the sidewalk. If it's too dangerous to ride a scooter in the street, then don't ride a scooter. Period.

I'm sick of this whiny excuse from bicyclists/scooter riders, "Wah, wah, it's too dangerous to ride in the streets."

Hey, no one is forcing you to ride a scooter anywhere.

Walk. Take a bus or a taxi. Drive a car. There are many safe ways to obey the law.
This. If you can't follow the law, get off the road. You hurt someone and the liability will hit you like a Mack truck. Don't be an idiot - think about your actions. And, BTW, it is illegal to ride a bike, scooter, drive a car, etc., with earbuds in both ears. They are really starting to crack down on this. But, hey, it's your life, your money, and your driving record.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:48 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Because every human is issued a car at birth, right? . You can't outlaw poverty. You can't outlaw common sense. You can't outlaw reason. If a bike or scooter is the most practical way to get somewhere, you can expect some people will use one.
Then use it accordingly. There are rules to using them. They zip in and out of pedestrians in DTLA.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:35 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
The scooter companies don't even care about local laws and have regularly deployed their scooters into cities under the cover of night without consulting the local government so why should the riders of the scooters care about the law?
The issues is why cities don’t crack down on the companies in the first place, impossible to not ride them on sidewalks if they must be parked on sidewalks and take up public property.

Interestingly I am surprised the state actually rolled back on helmet laws on these things something I don’t see them doing in a million years. Apparently these gig app companies have very strong lobbying power that allow th to break all sorts of labor laws and other laws of the state.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:11 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Would somebody be so kind as to tell me if electric scooter users get a message on their phone informing them that it's illegal to ride on a sidewalk? I still do not have an answer 17 posts later in this thread...

Old 03-20-2019, 08:32 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Have you seen how the general public drives? What makes you think they would suddenly obey the law once they get on a scooter?
Can’t argue with that.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:37 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
Yes. I try to use the streets as much as possible. However, when you are on a busy street and there is no bike lane, sidewalks are often the safest route.

You bicyclists and scooter riders are the proverbial brick wall.

As you have been told for years, "safety" is no excuse. There are plenty of safe, legal ways to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles