Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 07:40 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,567,164 times

Advertisements

I feel bad for her, but how many restaurants are there in L.A. County? A lot. And if you look at the way some of the tarps are set up, it doesn't seem like the air flow would be that good. I've been to Pineapple Hill, too, and I'm sorry it's in such an impossible situation.

The other side of the coin is that L.A. County had over 10,000 new cases just today. A little under a month ago we were at 2,000 new cases per day. Do the math and extrapolate that to the healthcare capacity. We're in for a very rough ride even if this state-mandated lockdown works. An average of 12% of the COVID-19 cases end up hospitalized. That's a LOT of people, and it's not as if you go into the hospital and then go home 24-48 hours later. No, you're there for two or three weeks and sometimes even longer. ICU capacity in L.A. County is at about 10% now. If I were a healthcare worker right now I'd be terrified. If I were newly identified as having COVID, I'd be even more scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 08:21 PM

151 posts, read 114,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I feel bad for her, but how many restaurants are there in L.A. County? A lot. And if you look at the way some of the tarps are set up, it doesn't seem like the air flow would be that good. I've been to Pineapple Hill, too, and I'm sorry it's in such an impossible situation.

The other side of the coin is that L.A. County had over 10,000 new cases just today. A little under a month ago we were at 2,000 new cases per day. Do the math and extrapolate that to the healthcare capacity. We're in for a very rough ride even if this state-mandated lockdown works. An average of 12% of the COVID-19 cases end up hospitalized. That's a LOT of people, and it's not as if you go into the hospital and then go home 24-48 hours later. No, you're there for two or three weeks and sometimes even longer. ICU capacity in L.A. County is at about 10% now. If I were a healthcare worker right now I'd be terrified. If I were newly identified as having COVID, I'd be even more scared.
Fifty feet away from her tarp (open on all sides) were Movie Studio owned tarps -- those were ok. Did you watch the video?

Old 12-06-2020, 08:45 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,567,164 times
Yes, I did watch the video. I was speaking generally about the tarps, because I've seen many that basically make an enclosed space outside, completely defeating the purpose.

I understand why she's frustrated, but how many movie sets are there like this vs. the number of restaurants? Movie sets are a closed environment with only the crew and cast. Restaurants are open to whoever decides to eat at them. It's like comparing apples and oranges. I would make the argument that we should shut down filming as well, but no one wants to talk about closing yet more businesses and hurting the economy further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo Para Bellum View Post
Fifty feet away from her tarp (open on all sides) were Movie Studio owned tarps -- those were ok. Did you watch the video?

Old 12-06-2020, 08:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo Para Bellum View Post
In an emotional plea, a restaurant owner begs for assistance in combating the LA Dining restrictions.

https://abc7.com/sherman-oaks-angela...grill/8514601/
It’s grotesque what the government is doing to business owners. First they get shut down. Then they are told you can open if it’s outdoors. So all these business owners sink thousands of dollars to get outdoor stuff umbrellas heaters, tents, tables, chairs, eisinglass enclosures, masks etc. now they are told they have shut down completely. Again.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:20 PM

234 posts, read 221,836 times
Looking at the official numbers...

https://www.santamonica.gov/coronavirus

... which are attached for Dec 6 2020, you can see that the yellow line on the left graph, and the hospitalization on the right graph, has only gone up from the beginning in March. So why were places allowed to open in June, and then again in October, if the numbers were going straight up?

If you looked at these numbers daily, especially when heading into "winter", you would never think you'd be opening up again, and you would not waste your time and money trying.
Attached Thumbnails
Sherman Oaks restaurant owner shares her frustration-capture.jpg  

Old 12-07-2020, 09:46 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,675,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It’s grotesque what the government is doing to business owners. First they get shut down. Then they are told you can open if it’s outdoors. So all these business owners sink thousands of dollars to get outdoor stuff umbrellas heaters, tents, tables, chairs, eisinglass enclosures, masks etc. now they are told they have shut down completely. Again.
Kevin O'Leary was on this AM, fairly pissed about this.

He describes his LA restaurants where he did the above investment for outdoor dining - no tents, just fresh air, and he's told to close - again - and he's laying off employees for the THIRD time.

Across the parking lot -- literally in the same parking lot but on the other side -- is a Big Box Store that has an interior Food Court. Its parking lot is packed, the Big Box Store is packed with people shoulder-to-shoulder, lots of people wearing masks-as-chin-guards or leaving their noses exposed, and the Food Court is open. Customers are ordering and eating food in the Food Court INDOORS.

O'Leary correctly asks, "how is it the Big Box Food Court gets to stay open and their employees get to have jobs to serve food INSIDE when I have to close OUTDOOR food and lay off employees FOR THE THIRD TIME? How is that fair? Why is the government picking winners and losers?"

It is time for some public sector employees to lose their jobs.

President Obama once famously said, "We need to spread the wealth around." Similarly, it is time to "Spread the pain of layoffs around" by lining up all the public sector employees and lay off a percentage so that public sector employees get to feel some pain.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:22 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,900,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yes, but it's odd to me if those restaurant owners never thought another flare-up in cases (likely in winter) might shut down almost as many activities as it did in the spring. It was possible for months for those restaurants to shift toward delivery and selling items like a grocery store. With one orange exception, I never heard a public official say he thought the worst was behind us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Kevin O'Leary was on this AM, fairly pissed about this.

He describes his LA restaurants where he did the above investment for outdoor dining - no tents, just fresh air, and he's told to close - again - and he's laying off employees for the THIRD time.

Across the parking lot -- literally in the same parking lot but on the other side -- is a Big Box Store that has an interior Food Court. Its parking lot is packed, the Big Box Store is packed with people shoulder-to-shoulder, lots of people wearing masks-as-chin-guards or leaving their noses exposed, and the Food Court is open. Customers are ordering and eating food in the Food Court INDOORS.

O'Leary correctly asks, "how is it the Big Box Food Court gets to stay open and their employees get to have jobs to serve food INSIDE when I have to close OUTDOOR food and lay off employees FOR THE THIRD TIME? How is that fair? Why is the government picking winners and losers?"

It is time for some public sector employees to lose their jobs.

President Obama once famously said, "We need to spread the wealth around." Similarly, it is time to "Spread the pain of layoffs around" by lining up all the public sector employees and lay off a percentage so that public sector employees get to feel some pain.
But is Big Box Food Court no longer allowed to serve food indoors today?

Old 12-07-2020, 12:00 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times
If leadership is going to issue arbitrary shutdown orders and play favorites, they sort of have a moral imperative to try and make those who were shut down/out of work whole for the duration of the shutdown. I doubt that'll happen.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:14 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,900,598 times
Alabama, yes, but read.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fo...?ocid=msedgntp
Dr. David Thrasher, a close friend of Dixon and a pulmonologist in Montgomery, told NBC News that Dixon's wife, Gaynell Dixon, told Thrasher that his last words to her were a prescient warning to the people of Alabama.

“We messed up, we let our guard down,” Dixon said, according to Thrasher. “Please tell everybody to be careful. This is real, and if you get diagnosed, get help immediately.”

Thrasher said his friend was exposed to the virus at a social gathering “with a couple of guys” that was hosted outside about two weeks ago.

Thrasher said he was unsure how many people attended, but he said he knew of two other men who attended the meetup and tested positive.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:30 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 9 days ago)

8,397 posts, read 5,553,109 times
Even my liberal friends in California are starting to hate Newsom. Im pretty liberal myself, but when the government says "just trust us, well take care of you", they are largely full of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles