Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2020, 10:47 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times

Advertisements

As far as I know Astral Weeks is correct. While code requires a certain number of parking spaces be built per unit, as far as I know, it doesn’t say anything about how the landlord has to allocate the spaces. So, the landlord doesn’t have to include spaces with each apt, can give some renters more spaces than others, and can charge extra rent for the spaces if they want to.

My guess is that the lack of off street parking is turning some prospective tenants off from the building, so now that it is not at full occupancy, the landlord made a business decision to put in another space to attract tenants.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 07:10 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BessaMcG View Post
Background:

I live in a rent-stabilized building with 6 units (4 1-bedroom and 2-2 bedroom) that has attached garage spaces for 5 cars. My unit is one of the 2 bedrooms and I moved in December of 2010. One of the 5 garages was not included in our lease. Verbally, the property manager told us that because we were one of the larger units, and have a patio space, we don't get a garage. I didn't look into it or question it at the time. I was young. This is still my 1st apartment renting experience.

Fast forward to this October. Several units have moved out (2020, man) so I reached out to the landlord to ask if we can take over one of the 5 garages. I had asked multiple times in years previous, but always got the same initial answer, "your unit doesn't get a garage." This time I was successful! We signed a new, garage specific lease with additional cost for the space and took possession on Nov. 15th.

One of the reasons I love this building is it sits behind a lovely fenced-in grass area, which creates a nice separation from the street. I noticed today that a significant chunk is being re-fenced. With no notice from our landlord, I reached out to ask what was happening in the yard. He emailed me back saying that they are creating a 6th parking space.

I'm pretty irritated that after all these years the building is finally going to accommodate all 6 units, after the song and dance he gave me for so long. We've been dealing with limited street parking/ street sweeping/ and 2-hour parking limits for years.

Long story short: are landlords required to provide parking spaces for each unit? I wasn't sure if because we are rent-stabilized or an old building if there are exemptions.
You're irritated because of "parking" arrangements? I would think you'd be irritated at all the $$$$$ that you threw away, paying someone else's mortgage, for them.

Just think of the equity you'd have if you woulda bought, instead of rented, back in 2010! If you woulda played yer cards right, you could had a nice 3bd2ba with your own parking garage, PAID OFF by now. Instead, you flushed all that $$$ down the toilet.

I know, equity isn't worth beans, unless you DO something with it. But, at least if you'd bought, you'd have had a choice...

You know what landlords call tenants that stay for 10 years?

Old 12-28-2020, 04:34 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You're irritated because of "parking" arrangements? I would think you'd be irritated at all the $$$$$ that you threw away, paying someone else's mortgage, for them.

Just think of the equity you'd have if you woulda bought, instead of rented, back in 2010! If you woulda played yer cards right, you could had a nice 3bd2ba with your own parking garage, PAID OFF by now. Instead, you flushed all that $$$ down the toilet.

I know, equity isn't worth beans, unless you DO something with it. But, at least if you'd bought, you'd have had a choice...

You know what landlords call tenants that stay for 10 years?
I'm sure OP made this post to attract unsolicited financial advice from the likes of you. How do you know anything about this person's situation? Not everyone can or could afford real estate in Los Angeles in 2010, Mr. Smartypants.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:53 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Plenty of buildings get approved with "variances" to the code in effect when they are built.

It seems that in Santa Monica, most new buildings get approved with variances to the code.

Often, developers will want to build an office, apartment, or condo building that exceeds the height limit. (Three storeys in many parts of SM). So they negotiate a variance.

The City grants the variance, in exchange for "community givebacks." These can include a certain number of low income units, and/or a cash payout to the City to be used for parks, bike lanes, community centers, etc.

In theory, the cash payout is to mitigate the extra burden (traffic, water and power usage, etc.) placed on "the community" by the variance.

In reality, some people suspect the zoning and building codes are restrictive precisely so that developers will buy variances. Variances are one way for the City to raise money.

Old 12-30-2020, 04:34 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
It seems that in Santa Monica, most new buildings get approved with variances to the code.

Often, developers will want to build an office, apartment, or condo building that exceeds the height limit. (Three storeys in many parts of SM). So they negotiate a variance.

The City grants the variance, in exchange for "community givebacks." These can include a certain number of low income units, and/or a cash payout to the City to be used for parks, bike lanes, community centers, etc.

In theory, the cash payout is to mitigate the extra burden (traffic, water and power usage, etc.) placed on "the community" by the variance.

In reality, some people suspect the zoning and building codes are restrictive precisely so that developers will buy variances. Variances are one way for the City to raise money.

Yes, however, in Santa Monica the "community benefits" are actually written into the municipal zoning code via several allowable Tiers.

https://qcode.us/codes/santamonica/?...-9_11-9_11_030

A zoning variance is generally defined as, "an exception to a zoning ordinance that's granted on a case-by-case basis," by a local government.

Santa Monica has codified their system so technically those are not variances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles