Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 04:18 PM

12,393 posts, read 8,173,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
KFI has been conservative at least since the late 80's when they started carrying Rush Limbaugh's show. I have been listening since then and I'm not seeing any increase in their conservatism.
I think that Bill Handel flipped 12 years ago to go with President Obama. Meanwhile John and Ken in the afternoon do mostly local and state politics and since it is basically a one party state since the action star went back to the Terminator they come off as more partisan than they are national politics wise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 05:12 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,571,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
In most or all of the country, live and local radio talk shows have disappeared on certain shifts or all shifts....for syndicated live, or worse, delayed talk shows.

That's the case in Boston, unfortunately, a solid radio market for years in my opinion. Our 50,000 watt legendary WBZ 1030 AM fired its weeknight overnight live and local host when iheartradio started its bloodbath, just before the pandemic kicked in. We had had live overnight talk, even holidays, for decades! It claims to reach 37 states and parts of Canada, and occasionally callers did call in from the midwest and parts of Canada, well before internet streaming was possible.

And I think the cuts at iheartradio nationally have continued with many veteran disc jockeys, talk shows and news people still losing jobs.

Boston has recently added or returned a few live and local non-overnight shows, but with reduced hours and/or very young hosts. But better than nothing.

Yes, otherwise it's a lot of paid commercials for "financial" shows and "nutritional" airings and such on the weekends, or repeats of some local shows from earlier that week on one particular talk station. Aaargh!

Can I use Tunein, iheartradio or radio com to perhaps find a live and local AM or FM talk show nowadays from your vast metro -- on your overnights or weekends?

I hate that when news breaks on weekends, Boston no longer has local and live radio talk shows; we have to wait until Monday at 6 a.m. to hear live and local talk radio.

Yes, I realize iheart-lessradio has likely devastated many of your popular radio stations, too.

At least WBZ still airs a local and always live talk show from 8 pm to midnight EST, Monday to Friday.
And now Saturdays from 9 pm to midnight, as a furloughed host was thankfully just brought back, but for one night, not his normal two nights.

Oh, does Los Angeles have two major sports radio stations nowadays? Boston does, mostly live and local weekdays when not airing local or national games. Is it a mix of local and syndicated on both stations?

Finally, is there just one major news/talk radio station?

Thanks.
If you have a smartphone or a tablet, you can download any available app for any station that starriest what you want.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:16 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,571,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
All over the country it's Dave Ramsey and Rush Limbaugh. Everything else has gone to podcasts.

I never thought of KFI being conservative. Phil Handel hates Trump and never misses an opportunity to clown him.
That’s not the case. Salem Radio hosts (Hugh Hewitt, Larry Elder, Dennis Prager, etc.) are on local stations around the country.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:40 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,551,641 times
KNX 1070 NewsRadio.
No political leanings or biases, just local SoCal news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The remainder of the time, I listen to KNX 1070. They are better for traffic and local news, but I can only take it for so long because after 10 or 15 minutes, it is all repetition.

The commercials will repeat, but the reports usually don't repeat more than once an hour.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:35 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,380,942 times
I get my news from Alex Jones. Can't trust these Hollywood shock jocks.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:39 PM

26 posts, read 33,226 times
I pretty much listen to only 2 stations, KFI 640 AM and KPCC 89.3 FM. I think these 2 are the best talk radio stations. I stopped listen to FM music station for many years as they only play mainstream stuff as I prefer more esoteric choices.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:31 PM

8,577 posts, read 11,000,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Car Pro on Sat. 9 to 11 on 1070 AM info on buying cars. I'll never buy a new car again. He was a dealer and really knows his stuff. I wonder how much he dosn't tell us, there is a thread right now on the car forum about how dealers ********* over, their pros at it.
Ii can't stand to listen to that guy on car pro.
His voice grates on me like chalk on a board.
I am usually in my pickup taking the dog to the park on saturday's when he is on.
I usually just shut the radio off.
I like KNX for the rest of the time, and listen often for the local news and traffic reports, just can't stand that guy on car pro.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:26 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,202,669 times
To anyone perhaps wondering about Chicago talk radio:

Months ago, due to the disappointing changes in Boston overnight talk radio in January from live and local talk on WBZ to all news on repeated segments from earlier in the day (admittedly, sometimes interesting if I missed them earlier) and live traffic every ten minutes! (Boston is big, but not Los Angeles big....how often can the overnight traffic in the city and region change every ten minutes!), I did discover the venerable WGN 720 AM in Chicago. I generally grew to like their overnight weeknight and weekend hosts.

In the Boston outer suburbs at night, I can kind of pick it up on WGN on the car radio, at times, but of course just use the TuneIn app now. But it was always fun pre app days while in the car at night to see which out of town AM stations in the U.S. and Canada I could pull in, no matter how weakly.

But WGN laid off their overnight hosts a few months ago, and now just replays local shows from earlier in the day So unfortunate. That's when I thought Los Angeles, bigger than Chicagoland, could be my alternate. I guess I'm just showing my age (60) in that I like talk radio. Some or most young people don't even know am radio exists, never mind what talk shows are, right?

Old 12-29-2020, 11:07 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,133,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
To anyone perhaps wondering about Chicago talk radio:

Months ago, due to the disappointing changes in Boston overnight talk radio in January from live and local talk on WBZ to all news on repeated segments from earlier in the day (admittedly, sometimes interesting if I missed them earlier) and live traffic every ten minutes! (Boston is big, but not Los Angeles big....how often can the overnight traffic in the city and region change every ten minutes!), I did discover the venerable WGN 720 AM in Chicago. I generally grew to like their overnight weeknight and weekend hosts.

In the Boston outer suburbs at night, I can kind of pick it up on WGN on the car radio, at times, but of course just use the TuneIn app now. But it was always fun pre app days while in the car at night to see which out of town AM stations in the U.S. and Canada I could pull in, no matter how weakly.

But WGN laid off their overnight hosts a few months ago, and now just replays local shows from earlier in the day So unfortunate. That's when I thought Los Angeles, bigger than Chicagoland, could be my alternate. I guess I'm just showing my age (60) in that I like talk radio. Some or most young people don't even know am radio exists, never mind what talk shows are, right?

I used to listen to Larry Glick's late night show on BZ a long time ago, must be thirty-five years or so. He was a real character, seems from another age, which of course it is. I do pick up NYC stations in my car in the Montreal region, but of course Buffalo, and Upstate NY and Vermont stations are the easiest to tune into.

I have been listening to Santa Monica's KCRW on the web here for many years. What I like about it, apart from a lot of the music programming is the local broadcasts related to film, art and architecture in Southern California.

I do like talk shows, and I think the British do carry on the spirit of hotlines well. BBC1 London has some cool open lines that give a nice overview of opinions on local preoccupations.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:42 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,202,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
I used to listen to Larry Glick's late night show on BZ a long time ago, must be thirty-five years or so. He was a real character, seems from another age, which of course it is. I do pick up NYC stations in my car in the Montreal region, but of course Buffalo, and Upstate NY and Vermont stations are the easiest to tune into.

I have been listening to Santa Monica's KCRW on the web here for many years. What I like about it, apart from a lot of the music programming is the local broadcasts related to film, art and architecture in Southern California.

I do like talk shows, and I think the British do carry on the spirit of hotlines well. BBC1 London has some cool open lines that give a nice overview of opinions on local preoccupations.
Thanks! I'll have to try KCRW. Sounds unique, especially these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles