Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 11:45 AM

485 posts, read 2,244,867 times

Advertisements

I will be in LAX at around 5pm, but my plane won't actually take off till 1am the next day. Long story, I will be taking a bus from Bakersfield to LA and well the latest bus will drop me off at around 5pm. It's cheaper to fly from LAX than bakersfield even taking a bus ride down to LA.

I really wanted to check out places like Koreatown and Little Tokyo, however I know just about nothing about LA and public transportation or the taxis or buses available. Also I am guessing maybe the city wouldn't be so safe to be in and going around these places would be a drag since I would have to carry my luggage.

Well also the other part to this question, is it a good idea to venture to other parts of the city or check out the city while waiting for your flight? I would like to check it out, but if it's really unsafe or really inconvenient, I can just stay inside the airport and read, or play my Nintendo 3DS or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 01:13 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,068 times
The airport has a shuttle that will take you to the nearest subway

Old 05-30-2015, 01:50 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,209 times
You said you are coming from Bakersfield but didnt say where it drops you off. It if is at Union Station you can easily take the Metro subway Purple line/Red line into Koreatown (10-15 minute ride). There isnt much to sightsee there. A few old buildings but it is mostly known for eating/drinking. From Union Station you can take the Gold Line into Little Tokyo (1 Stop) or Chinatown 1 stop (2 minute ride). Both the places are safe. Koreatown if you stay on Wilshire. Little Tokyo is safe. So are many parts of Downtown so you can walk around and check it out like Grand Park or Walt Disney concert Hall. Down Broadway/Spring Street or LA Live/Staples center or the outside wall art of the Arts District. Or even Hollywood Blvd on Red line (25 minutes). Just outside of Union Station is historic Olvera Street and oldest part of LA city I think. Very nice to see. All these places are safe, have lots of people walking around. You just have to be aware of your surroundings and people trying to scam. If someone gives you a CD, dont take it. Or needs your phone to make a call, dont give it. There are some mentally ill homeless and those on drugs around but especially downtown in/nearer Skid Row, so just be aware. Not so much a problem in Little Tokyo or parts of Koreatown.

LA Metro bus and rail system is easy to get around (not sure with a lot of big luggage on the bus since it is crowded and thin aisles but have done it with just a carry on and a backpack). You will need to get a reusable TAP card ($1 sold at machines when buying ticket). $1.75 more for a one way trip with 2 hrs free transfers to other bus/rail in system but NO free reverse trips meaning you cant take #2 bus exit and return on same # bus thinking it is free transfer. Same goes for the subway. It will likely charge you again so thats $1.75 plus $1.75. I only say that cuz I see it all the time with people enter and exit same system and say I have 2 free hours. They get mad and just go back to machine and pay again for 1 way trip.

You can take the LAX flyaway shuttle from Union Station leaves every 30 minutes (check out their website to see times and prices.)

I see people walk around with luggage getting on/off the subway. Subways have escalators and elevators to get your luggage up and down. Hope it helps.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:00 AM

11 posts, read 14,629 times
I think you can easy to see the Santa Monica with Uber too, it is not so far

Old 05-23-2022, 11:43 PM

246 posts, read 120,067 times
I don't know why we have this question to answer ... it is from 2015???

Old 05-24-2022, 08:39 PM

79 posts, read 53,244 times
The airport has an available shuttle service that will take you to the nearest subway station.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:11 PM

700 posts, read 446,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Play_Poker View Post
because you topped it, duh

Old 05-24-2022, 09:23 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,501,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Play_Poker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieleia View Post
The airport has an available shuttle service that will take you to the nearest subway station.
Well the post is 7 years ago. But we are talking about LAX so the OP may still be stuck on the 405 or TSA screening.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:23 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Default I will be in LAX for abotu 7 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
You said you are coming from Bakersfield but didnt say where it drops you off. It if is at Union Station you can easily take the Metro subway Purple line/Red line into Koreatown (10-15 minute ride). There isnt much to sightsee there. A few old buildings but it is mostly known for eating/drinking. From Union Station you can take the Gold Line into Little Tokyo (1 Stop) or Chinatown 1 stop (2 minute ride). Both the places are safe. Koreatown if you stay on Wilshire. Little Tokyo is safe. So are many parts of Downtown so you can walk around and check it out like Grand Park or Walt Disney concert Hall. Down Broadway/Spring Street or LA Live/Staples center or the outside wall art of the Arts District. Or even Hollywood Blvd on Red line (25 minutes). Just outside of Union Station is historic Olvera Street and oldest part of LA city I think. Very nice to see. All these places are safe, have lots of people walking around. You just have to be aware of your surroundings and people trying to scam. If someone gives you a CD, dont take it. Or needs your phone to make a call, dont give it. There are some mentally ill homeless and those on drugs around but especially downtown in/nearer Skid Row, so just be aware. Not so much a problem in Little Tokyo or parts of Koreatown.

LA Metro bus and rail system is easy to get around (not sure with a lot of big luggage on the bus since it is crowded and thin aisles but have done it with just a carry on and a backpack). You will need to get a reusable TAP card ($1 sold at machines when buying ticket). $1.75 more for a one way trip with 2 hrs free transfers to other bus/rail in system but NO free reverse trips meaning you cant take #2 bus exit and return on same # bus thinking it is free transfer. Same goes for the subway. It will likely charge you again so thats $1.75 plus $1.75. I only say that cuz I see it all the time with people enter and exit same system and say I have 2 free hours. They get mad and just go back to machine and pay again for 1 way trip.

You can take the LAX flyaway shuttle from Union Station leaves every 30 minutes (check out their website to see times and prices.)

I see people walk around with luggage getting on/off the subway. Subways have escalators and elevators to get your luggage up and down. Hope it helps.
You seem to be well up on lot's of aspects of info which is helpful.

My thought for the op is that what he does with his baggage has got to be of concern. Dragging it around on sidewalks is not a cool way to explore.

Our memories of Union Station are fuzzy because we were last there in 2017 as we returned an LAX car rental to a drop of location there (very well hidden underground and difficult to figure out, by the way! We then headed up the coast via Amtrak.

I don't recall the left luggage locker situation in the station for someone who may want to stash their bags for a few hours. We have wondered about that as we've considered more Amtrak travel out of Union in the future.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:06 PM

307 posts, read 241,867 times
This thread is from 2015 but in general if anyone has a layover that's five hours or more can grab a taxi or Uber to Manhattan Beach that's just south of LAX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles