Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 04:17 PM

16 posts, read 12,689 times

Advertisements

Hi there, My wife and I are moving to California and our job is in Encino. Which neighborhood would you suggest for renting an apartment? up to 30 min commute in traffic is ok. looking for a safe neighborhood with good parks to walk around. No kids, so school doesn't matter. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 06:43 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,731,187 times
Encino, or anything West along the 101 out to West Hills.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Encino, or anything West along the 101 out to West Hills.
How about woodland hills? is it good? Thanks

Old 05-17-2022, 10:03 AM

4,567 posts, read 5,434,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSm View Post
Where to live if working in Encino? Hi there, My wife and I are moving to California and our job is in Encino. Which neighborhood would you suggest for renting an apartment?
Wow. Moving here and you BOTH have landed jobs in Encino? That is like "hit the lottery" type stuff that seems almost incredibly rare and unbelievable. Encino isnt really a "hub" of major employment.

As long as you stay west of the 405 fwy in the valley and as close to Ventura blvd as possible you should be okay. Encino, Tarzana, Woodland Hills should all be fine for you.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:57 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,173,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Wow. Moving here and you BOTH have landed jobs in Encino? That is like "hit the lottery" type stuff that seems almost incredibly rare and unbelievable. Encino isnt really a "hub" of major employment.
No kidding. I lived there or thereabouts between 1996 and 2010 (and keep up with the area because my mom still lives there) and unless they're working at one of the banks near Hayvenhurst, I struggle to even think of another employer where odds of this happening wouldn't be worse than those of a Mega Millions win.

That said, it would really help if OP at least gave us an idea of what budget they were working with or amenities they were interested in, apart from parks (Balboa Park should be perfectly adequate, btw). Encino proper is a decent enough 'hood to live in, but if money is an issue, its neighbors to the north (Tarzana, Reseda, Van Nuys) are a lot more affordable, if, perhaps, less desirable.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 05-17-2022 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-17-2022, 01:09 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,938,203 times
Quote:
How about woodland hills? is it good? Thanks
I've lived in Woodland Hills for 33 years and it is great here. A BUNCH of new luxury apartments and everything you will ever need is about 5 minutes away.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:37 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,213,653 times
You should be able to live as far west as Calabasas to have a max 30 minute commute. What type of housing are you looking for? Apartment? Detached house? Large home in the hills? You could also go east towards Sherman Oaks, but I wouldn't have a commute that crossed the 405 unless you absolutely had to. No matter, the 101 corridor through the valley is pretty consistent across neighborhoods. Having said that, going from west to east, you're on a spectrum ranging from more family focused neighborhoods (West Hills/Calabasas) to more hip and happening (Studio City). That may give you a better idea on where to start your search.

Old 05-21-2022, 09:53 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. How about Sherman Oaks? It would be east of 405. Is it a painful commute if living in sherman oaks? Would it be possible taking 101 or ventura blvd if living in sherman oaks or have to take 405? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

As long as you stay west of the 405 fwy in the valley and as close to Ventura blvd as possible you should be okay. Encino, Tarzana, Woodland Hills should all be fine for you.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:35 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,985,472 times
Why not live in Encino? Its not a terrible place.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:14 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,173,307 times
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions. How about Sherman Oaks? It would be east of 405. Is it a painful commute if living in sherman oaks? Would it be possible taking 101 or ventura blvd if living in sherman oaks or have to take 405? Thanks
If the main requirement for the area you live in is to have parks, Sherman Oaks over Encino is a move backward, not forward. Unless you're in the canyons, there's literally one park in Sherman Oaks (Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks Recreation Area) and it's not particularly nice.

It's not a painful commute and you don't really need to take the freeway. Ventura will get you where you need to go. I used to live east of the 405 (Beverly Glen, just south of Ventura) and drive to Encino quite frequently. Sherman Oaks, I feel, is livelier than Encino, but it's really six of one, half dozen of the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles