Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,223 times

Advertisements

I've lived in my current rent-controlled building in LA for many years and I've always gotten an annual increase at about the same time each year. I got an increase in December of 2006 but then they tried to give me another increase in July of 2007. I told the manager then that I thought that was illegal and he said he'd take care of it. Well we've since gotten new owners and they keep insisting that I owe them back rent from that July increase. I'm not protected by a yearly lease - I pay month-to-month, so should I continue fighting this? Is it legal to increase a tenants rent only 6 months after the previous one when they're under rent control? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:14 PM

31 posts, read 133,655 times
I'm sorry I can't help more with this -- my fiance is a lawyer but he won't be barred in CA until this summer so he doesn't know much about this yet. But I would also be interested in hearing any answers to this as we are currently looking at a place with a month-to-month lease and wondering what kind of problems to expect. Good luck with your landlord!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:56 PM

422 posts, read 1,818,541 times
It's my understanding that for property that falls under rent control, the rent can be raised no more than 5% in a 12-month period. You don't say how much each of your increases were. If it was 3% in December and 2% in July, it might be legal. I really don't know what the specifics of the law are.

I do know that if you EVER had a lease, even if it has expired and you're now month-to-month, you and the landlord are still bound by the lease's terms. You might check out this website: lahd.lacity.org

Old 04-30-2008, 10:07 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Contact an attorney.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 8,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
If it was 3% in December and 2% in July, it might be legal. I really don't know what the specifics of the law are.
That's a really good point. I don't remember what they tried to hit me with in July, but the one the new owners gave me a month ago looked to be about a 3% increase. I wonder, if I challenged them to show me a copy of the July increase, or really some proof that I was ever given an increase, what would happen if they couldn't produce it? These are new people so it may just be something that was carried over on the books only.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:03 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
If you live in the City of Los Angeles, they can only raise your rent once a year unless you bring another adult in to live with you, etc., which would change the terms of the original agreement.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:40 PM

9 posts, read 42,247 times
Default Rent Control

If you guys have questions contact the Los Angeles Housing Department Home they are great in answering your questions and quick to make a move.

Rent control is needed because on average most of us do not see a yearly raise, then you have the cost of living going up yearly.

Top 20 affordable housing, Los Angeles, Share of homes afforable for median income ranks at 6.2%, bottom of the list - Cost of Living

For the person who said they should be able to rent a lexus for $100.00 a month... you buy property it increases in value with time (except if you bought from 2005 - current) You buy a car and the moment you drive off the lot you lost 10K and your car keeps dropping and a car is NEVER a good investment. So ride the bus and you can pay less then $100 a month.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM

81 posts, read 339,315 times
That's why everyone better get out and vote NO on Proposition 98. Prop 98, if it passes, will abolish rent control ...so VOTE!

Your rent can only be raised once a year. Your landlord is governed by whatever area you live in. If they raise the rent 3% for the year, that is the most they raise it in one year. To break it up, like 1% in December and then 2% in July doesn't make sense.

It sounds to me like your new owners had no idea the old owner already imposed a rent increase within the year.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:57 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzxyz View Post
That's why everyone better get out and vote NO on Proposition 98. Prop 98, if it passes, will abolish rent control ...so VOTE!
Local Rent Control ordinances restricting rent increases remain in force under Prop 98 as long as a tenant remains in the Rent Controlled unit.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:22 AM

9 posts, read 34,998 times
They cant legally do it...all the above are great responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles