Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:18 PM

57 posts, read 536,909 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know a "great" school is subjective, but if we are talking about a school's overall reputation, I'm wondering if it's possible to move into a district where the public school options in LA or Southern Ventura County are good all the way from K-12?

We lived on the Westside previously and are somewhat familiar with the different areas but did not have school-aged children at the time. We love the idea of buying a home and staying in it for the next 15-20 years.

We have kicked around the idea of Calabasas, Westlake Village or possibly Thousand Oaks, but I'm not sure if the elementary, middle AND high schools are all good? What about the Conejo School District? I've seen some houses in our budget there but wasn't sure about the schools.

Or, if we can't find an area that has great offerings all the way through, I guess we'd be most concerned with finding a good elementary school.

Let's just pretend housing costs and commute times don't matter (obviously they will down the road) so I can build my "dream" list and then whittle it down to what is realistic for us when the time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 01:58 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,149,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovintoJax View Post
Yes, I know a "great" school is subjective, but if we are talking about a school's overall reputation, I'm wondering if it's possible to move into a district where the public school options in LA or Southern Ventura County are good all the way from K-12?

We lived on the Westside previously and are somewhat familiar with the different areas but did not have school-aged children at the time. We love the idea of buying a home and staying in it for the next 15-20 years.

We have kicked around the idea of Calabasas, Westlake Village or possibly Thousand Oaks, but I'm not sure if the elementary, middle AND high schools are all good? What about the Conejo School District? I've seen some houses in our budget there but wasn't sure about the schools.

Or, if we can't find an area that has great offerings all the way through, I guess we'd be most concerned with finding a good elementary school.

Let's just pretend housing costs and commute times don't matter (obviously they will down the road) so I can build my "dream" list and then whittle it down to what is realistic for us when the time comes.
Conejo Valley School District has a deserved reputation for excellence from elementary through high school.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,838,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovintoJax View Post

You can start here:

California School Performance Maps

Yes TO schools are very good. So are many schools in Orange County. There are many places with good schools (often those neighborhoods aren't cheap). So yes, you will really have to factor in the work location.

You have to do your homework.

Last edited by Charles; 06-22-2008 at 02:29 PM..

Old 06-22-2008, 02:26 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,059,955 times
San Marino?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:32 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,126,720 times
Work backwards. I understand that Pasadena has good schools. If you have an idea of what college(s) you would like your kids to go to, call the admissions office and ask what high school(s) they accepted students from, then found out which jr high those kids came from, etc.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:32 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,781,540 times
you can find that in OC and southeast LA county, if those are options

Old 06-22-2008, 08:24 PM

26,773 posts, read 26,897,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I understand that Pasadena has good schools.
You might want to rethink that. Pasadena's public schools have consistently ranked near the bottom for as long as I can remember.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:58 PM

9 posts, read 31,458 times
Hello, I am a student in The Santa Barbara School district. I look up good schools on the internet because I don't want to go to some really bad school. I am attending a Public High School in Santa Barbara county. It is not that far away from thousand oaks.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,838,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagspeed View Post
Hello, I am a student in The Santa Barbara School district. I look up good schools on the internet because I don't want to go to some really bad school. I am attending a Public High School in Santa Barbara county. It is not that far away from thousand oaks.
It is about 60 miles from Thousand Oaks to Santa Barbara. I can't think of one reason in the world the original poster should consider sending his kids to Santa Barbara schools unless he lived in the Santa Barbara area. First, why would someone who lives in Thousand Oaks do that? Second, the implication from the original post is that he will be working somewhere in the Los Angeles metro and might consider living in the Conejo Valley (or Calabasas) for schools.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,294,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Work backwards. I understand that Pasadena has good schools. If you have an idea of what college(s) you would like your kids to go to, call the admissions office and ask what high school(s) they accepted students from, then found out which jr high those kids came from, etc.
South Pasadena has highly rated schools but Pasadena has pretty low ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles