Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,826 times

Advertisements

OK, tell me your favorite things about Pasadena. My husband has been out there for 2 months now, and I'm still selling the old house back in KY-sanding the floors and all that.

While sanding floors and such has its charm, I want to hear all the wonders and splendors of my new home (sort of a "carrot" to keep me going, so to speak. )

So tell me your favorite places in Pasadena/San Gabriel Valley area, pretty please! Be specific-names of restaurants, parks, yarn shops, galleries, whatever is wonderful... I want to know where the good stuff is!

I've heard you all mention Old Town millions of times, and I've driven through it and it looks very cool to explore, so I'd love to hear about your favorites.

Thanks!

Last edited by timelesschild; 04-22-2008 at 03:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 02:56 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,798 times
mi piace on colorado in old town is a cool place to hang out. the food is decent, but i go for the atmosphere...and the wonderful pomegranate martinis.

the cafe at the culinary school (on madison, between green and colorado) always has nice surprises on their lunch menu, and the prices are excellent. among the regular fare, the bow-tie pasta salad with shrimp is delicious, and so are the pastries. (mexican wedding cookies-- yum, yum.)

my favorite restaurant in the area is actually in south pas: shiro, on mission near (north of?) fair oaks. the specialty of the house is a marvelous crispy whole catfish stuffed with garlic and ginger, served with a tangy ponzu sauce. order it! (and ask them to decapitate it before serving if you don't like your food staring at you.)

if you're a runner (or walker), the "track" that is the perimeter of the rose bowl is a popular spot with locals.

i used travel 20 miles to study at the main library on colorado, until i tired of the homeless wandering the stacks, and bathing in the ladies' room. (architecturally, it's a beautiful building, though.) for purchasing books, vromans is an independent bookstore that rivals b&n in selection and "browsability," one of the few left in the LA area; book alley is another option, if you don't mind used. both are on colorado.

i don't live in pasadena, but i used to spend a lot of time there until quite recently. it's one of my favorite nearby cities, and i would live there in a heartbeat. so far, the only thing i find it lacking is a good sushi bar. (yes, i've been to sushi roku. it's ok. just ok.) enjoy your new home.

Last edited by katenik; 04-22-2008 at 03:26 AM..

Old 04-22-2008, 04:10 AM

21 posts, read 90,898 times
I'm a Pasadena native, and the whole city is my favorite! Very proud of my hometown.

Enjoy:

-Chado Tea Room on Raymond
-Violet's Cakes (cupcakes, to be specific) on Holly
-the Laemmle theatre on Colorado Blvd.
-Old Town
-Cafe Bizou or Vertical Wine Bistro (both on Raymond; try the mini grilled cheese sandwiches at Vertical Wine Bistro!!)
-The Crepe Vine on Colorado Blvd, in the alley next to Jake's
-South Lake Street
-Trader Joes
-the Norton Simon
-Huntington Gardens (which is technically in San Marino, but I'm stealing it)
-the lavash wraps at Father Nature in Old Town
-21 Choices in Old Town
-El Portal restaurant in the Playhouse district
-the mexican hot chocolate at Zona Rosa Cafe in the Playhouse district
-the Rose Bowl Flea Market
-the Pacific movie theatre at Paseo Colorado
-A'Float Sushi in Old Town
-Chandra thai restaurant on Arroyo Parkway
-The Nail Spa on Lake Ave.
-El Cholo's
-Bodega Wine Bar at Paseo Colorado
-Aaardvark's thrift clothing store on Colorado
-Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf
-Distant Lands travel store on S. Raymond
-The Castle Green outside of Old Town
-various stores on Green Street

Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 AM

137 posts, read 602,954 times
Awesome Dog Park on Orange Grove in NE Pasadena

The 110 and the 134

UCLA Football on a Saturday afternoon

Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 AM

26 posts, read 99,040 times
I am moving to Pasadena soon too. I am moving out there to go to school at Art Center.

This will pretty much be my first time living outside of Austin, TX (I am 19). Any recommendations on good lunch spots that are not too expensive in the old town area?

Thanks for the tips already coastalcat.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:03 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Ditto to everything that everyone has said!

-Rose Bowl - really great for walking/running
-Brookside Golf Course - golfing
-Eaton Canyon - hiking
-The Huntington Hotel - for afternoon tea (used to be the Ritz Carlton)
-Green Street Restaurant - The Diane Salad/ The Monte Cristo Sandwich w/mango chutney
-Burger Continental - eclectic mix of food on their menu (I think they are rebuilding it)
-Anthropologie on Lake - cute clothes/accessories and chic home furnishings
-Jacob Maarse - great florist on Green Street
-Rag Time - great consignment shop on Green Street
-Paseo Colorado -Loehmann's, Gelson's, DSW, Coach, Ann Taylor Loft
-Pasadena City College Flea Market - smaller than Rose Bowl Flea Market but good
-Marshall's on Foothill - pretty good
-Raymonds Restaurant on Fair Oaks
-Marsden's Restaurant on Walnut
-Madre's - This is JLo's restaurant
-Arroyo Chop House on Arroyo Parkway
-Houston's on Arroyo Parkway - ask them to make garlic fries..not on menu
_South Pasadena Farmer's Market - on Wednesdays I think

There is so much more but I can't think right now

Old 04-22-2008, 04:26 PM

116 posts, read 614,488 times
I used to live in Pasadena (Portland now), so here are some places to check out not already mentioned.

Lucky Boy: A great burger joint on Arroyo Parkway. Good Chili Cheese Fries and grilled chicken sandwich. Of course the burgers are great too.

Tops: Another great burger place on Walnut. The fries are good here.

Tacos Puebla: This is a whole in the wall Mexican place located in a strip mall at Orange Grove and Lake. Their Carnitas are the best I've ever had, and that's saying something.

Zankou Chicken: Good Armenian owned place joint with good food.

The PCC swapmeet: A great place for neat finds

Visiting the Huntington Gardens, which are actually in San Marino.

The Norton Simon Museum has a great painting collection, and the Pasadena Playhouse has good theater and a years membership is very reasonable.

Good luck on your new adventure in Pasadena

Old 04-22-2008, 11:51 PM

Just wanted to add that one of the best things about Pasadena is that (depending on where you live in the city) its semi-walkable.

I actually walked more places while living in Pasadena than anywhere else I have lived. Instead of going to the gym(I would walk around the neighborhood looking at the beautiful houses and lush greenery.

Pasadena has an energy all its own which sets it apart from many So Cal communities. As soon as you cross into South Pasadena, the vibe immediately changes. And unless you've lived there(or visited) you won't get what I mean. Very strong sense of pride and very friendly community. Very well defined attitude toward protecting and preserving its history and way of life. Great area to raise a family (private school is preferable though)

Old 04-24-2008, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,414 times
Calipoppy, can you mention which parts of the city are walkable?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:11 PM

Old Town Pasadena is very walkable.

However, I will even go a little further to say that if you live between the following boundaries it is also walkable even though you have a longer (yet pleasant) walk (Glen Arm on the south, Marengo or Arroyo on the west, Colorado on the north and Lake on the east)

And just to add a note about how I define "walkable". These are areas which are relatively safe; beautifully maintained; and the people are friendly and intelligent. Within a walking distance there's Starbuck's, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Wild Oats (and regular grocery stores); several gyms; cute and trendy shops; bookstores; and restaurants & cafes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogreader View Post
Calipoppy, can you mention which parts of the city are walkable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles