Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:25 PM

10 posts, read 34,336 times

Advertisements

Hello again,

I am looking into my budget situation etc. and I was wondering how much should I count for a 1br apartment in these areas so that it is realistic. I understand that it may vary a lot depending on a lot of factors, but can you give me a rough idea? At this point $1000 and $1200 (excluding utilities) really makes a difference!

I actually would love something old, like 1920's or '30s... brownstone, old windows etc. is it possible?

I took a look at craigslist and it seems like there is a lot of apartments for around $900-$1000. Is this true or is this just a scam?

Thanks a lot guys!

Last edited by CAMN; 02-21-2010 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
They could be legit, but I wouldn't rent first without seeing it in person. One thing to keep in mind about Alhambra and Pasadena is that they're both bigger than South Pasadena and have a bigger range of neighborhoods, including some that have some crime issues.

A 1-BR for under $1,000 in South Pasadena is probably going to be a more modern dumpy place and not something old, but you could get lucky. It seems to be a renters' market right now, so you're in luck on that front.

Brownstones aren't really the architectural style of choice in the SGV, but you'll find lots of craftsman homes and lots of Spanish style bungalows, and a lot of buildings from the 1920s that retain their original architecture features.

Another tip: make sure to ask about the refrigerator when you look at a place. In LA it's common for rentals not to include the refrigerator. In the places we looked at in the Pasadena/South Pasadena area they all had refrigerators left by previous tenants, but that's not a given (and in the place we did end up getting ours eventually broke and we had to buy a new one; never thought I'd own a refrigerator but not a house!).

Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post

Another tip: make sure to ask about the refrigerator when you look at a place. In LA it's common for rentals not to include the refrigerator.

And the stove

Old 02-22-2010, 12:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMN View Post
Hello again,

I am looking into my budget situation etc. and I was wondering how much should I count for a 1br apartment in these areas so that it is realistic. I understand that it may vary a lot depending on a lot of factors, but can you give me a rough idea? At this point $1000 and $1200 (excluding utilities) really makes a difference!

I actually would love something old, like 1920's or '30s... brownstone, old windows etc. is it possible?

I took a look at craigslist and it seems like there is a lot of apartments for around $900-$1000. Is this true or is this just a scam?

Thanks a lot guys!
First of all pay little attention to what you see on Craigslist. Much of it is bogus which is too bad. $1000 a month should get you something but don't expect a lot of older apartments. Many of the older places have been torn down and new things built. All 3 areas do have some older building probably not quite what you have in mind though.

Nita

Old 02-22-2010, 01:59 PM

I respectfully disagree with Nita on this one; Craigslist has been a wonderful resource for me and my friends and relatives, both as landlords and tenants. There are some bogus posts on there, but they're generally pretty obvious: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Use common sense and you should be fine.

I'd also disagree that most of the older buildings have been torn down; there are some newer places mixed in, but in general South Pasadena, anyway, is filled with older buildings, including apartment buildings and bungalow courts. There are several official historic districts, historic preservation is alive and well, and you'll find many, many older homes. All that said, the historic buildings seem to generally be considered more desirable than the utilitarian but basic apartment buildings from the 1970s (or whenever), and the rents are going to be correspondingly higher. At the $1,000 or less range the bulk of options are going to be in the less attractive more modern places.

I wouldn't sign a lease before looking at a place in person, but the other good thing about southern CA is that generally you can move in almost immediately. If you have the time, one of the best ways to find a place is just to walk around your target neighborhoods and note if you see any for rent signs. At least that way you'll also know whether you like the location or not before you waste any time setting up an appointment.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks a lot for the valuable info! Just one more question:

What do you guys think of Koreatown/Mid-Wilshire? I found this website:

STATEWIDE ENTERPRISES INC Southern California Rentals, Southern California Apartments, Los Angeles Rentals, Los Angeles Apartments, Los Angeles For Rent, Southern California For Rent, Southern California Vacancy, Los Angeles Vacancy, Apartments For R

and some of the apartments look exactly like what I am looking for. I'll be working at USC so the commute wouldn't be that bad (I think...). I've been reading about these neighborhoods and opinions related to their safety basically vary a lot...

Old 02-22-2010, 03:32 PM

It's a night-and-day-difference from South Pasadena, that's for sure. And totally different than anything you'll find in the Twin Cities. It depends on what you're looking for; that area is really busy, bustling, dense, urban. It's exciting and there's a lot going on, and the commute would be pretty easy. There's gang activity in the area. Some areas are nicer/safer than others, and I definitely wouldn't rent without visiting it in person first. (both to see the location and to see the specific building)

Another management company with beautiful historic apartments in that area (and in Hollywood) is Swelgroup; we rented from them a few years ago in Hollywood and were happy with our experience.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:40 PM

Yup! This is something that I am looking for. Thanks! Hmm... gang activity Are there any rules like: if you stay above 8th street it's better?

I actually live in MPLS Uptown now and am looking for something similar

Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 PM

I'm not sure of the safety rules of thumb for that area, but I think there's some gang activity in all of it. Above Wilshire feels safer to me. It's an interesting neighborhood, and a blend of all sorts of people (including on both extremes of the economic spectrum), but you'd really want to walk around and see for yourself if you like it there or not. People seem to have strong opinions on way or the other. It's busier, grittier, and has more street life than any neighborhood in Minneapolis. Density levels are more like what you'd find in NYC.

The most Uptown-like area (as far as commercial district, anyway) that I've found is Old Pasadena, followed maybe by Los Feliz in LA. South Pasadena's residential streets feel kind of like a southern CA version of Uptown, but the business district isn't as trendy. (the trendy stuff can be found in Old Pasadena, although Old Pasadena also has a good mix of other non-chain and non-trendy things, too, especially once you get off the main streets. The intersection of Fair Oaks and Colorado Boulevard is roughly the equivalent of Lake and Hennepin. Old Pasadena is in a lot of ways like a bigger version of Uptown.)

For a more bargain location that's less intense than Koreatown/Mid-Wilshire you could also look into Eagle Rock (in LA, but right across the Arroyo from Pasadena); some of that reminds me a bit like Lyn-Lake (more independent places, artsy, a little quieter, lots of restaurants). Hollywood itself has a lot of the older buildings (with some affordable studios) you're looking for (and good street life and high walkability). East Hollywood, especially north of Hollywood Blvd, maybe along or right off of Franklin, is quieter than Koreatown, still has a lot within walking distance, is relatively safe, and is generally cheaper than Los Feliz or Hollywood (a little more crime).

Old 02-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Thanks! I've something to think about now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles