Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,693 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys!

I've been to the LA area so many times and I'm now considering to move there from the Boston area. Previously, I only stayed at hotels, didn't travel around the city as much and I'm now in the process of gathering some information on living in the LA area, so any info you can provide, will be greatly appreciated.

I am a waiter, have 8 years of experience serving patrons at busy restaurants and am looking to stay in the same industry when in California, so if you have recommendations on places to apply where it gets busy and you can make some money, please let me know as well.

As far as living, ideally I'd like to be at a place where it's safe, clean, parking available and stay around $600 - $700/mon for rent, could be either a small studio or a small 1BR. Commuting to work is not a problem, I have a car and know that LA is huge and you must have one. Also, if you happen to know of temporary housing places, I'd also like to hear that.

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if this is another LA thread lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 08:00 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
$600-$700 is difficult at best, and at that price point, sometimes parking is a separate-paid item. I am sure that you can afford something better if you have good job skills. The apartments under $700 are not what you would like.

Boston can't be that much cheaper than LA - is it? 20 years ago, my cousin was paying $1100 for a small apartment in Cambridge MA......

Check out http://craigslist.org for apartment pricing and job postings - people use that a LOT out here. Do you have savings that you plan to live on while getting established?

Last edited by timelesschild; 07-11-2008 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: added craigslist suggestion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles