Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 03:33 PM

236 posts, read 1,141,579 times

Advertisements

The following will be on the upcoming November ballot in California:

Sarah’s story: Sarah was only 15 years old when she died from a legal abortion. She was injured during the procedure and developed a massive infection. Her parents weren't told about the abortion and didn't know what was wrong with her. By the time she was taken to the hospital, it was too late. Sarah's family could have saved her -- had they known.

In California, a girl under age 18 can’t get a tan at a tanning salon, a cavity filled, or an aspirin dispensed by the school nurse without a parent knowing. But a doctor can perform a surgical or chemical abortion on a young girl without informing a parent.

Proposition 4 will require a doctor to notify at least one adult family member before performing an abortion on an under-18-year-old girl.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:44 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
Hasn't a similar measure failed in the past?

Old 08-11-2008, 05:31 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,847,969 times
I don't see a problem with parents being informed if a minor wants to get an abortion. What's the argument against this?

Old 08-11-2008, 06:44 PM

179 posts, read 199,753 times
"What's the argument against this?"

Lunatic special interest groups have convinced democrats that abortion is so fundamental as a right that all normal common sense restrictions on medical procedures do not apply!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:47 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Hasn't a similar measure failed in the past?

It has in 05 and 06. I think it was prop 73. Also the girl's name isn't Sarah.

I think the main arguments against it are that

1. (from planned parenthood) That it wouldn't have prevented "Sarah's" death.

2. It would cause more problems/complications for the girls. I'm not too clear on this, perhaps, hidden pregnancy, self abortion.

3. And of course the intrusion or slippery slope of abortion laws: first this then 18+.

I don't know. These are just things I've read/assumed.

Personally, I don't know. But ironically I feel that morals like these should be cultivated (a virtue upheld in conservative thought) but with this legislation is being forced upon. People who have good morals won't get abortions, whereas the poor underage pregnant girl can't ask her cracked out mom to sign a paper and would be too afraid to go to a judge.

I think its a "top down" fix and no where near perfect. It sounds like something I would support if it included a few caveats.

This is a very complicated issue for me, and it would take more than a bb post to sort it all out.

I would hope that most people would look at these issues more discerningly and not blindly follow either their heart or entrenched belief.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:40 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,119,229 times
Once upon a time, consent passed and "Substitute" Parenthood sued and got it shot down. Last year notification didn't pass but I'm very glad to see it on the ballot again. If it passes and "Substitute" Parenthood doesn't get it shot down, I might consider staying in California.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
"What's the argument against this?"

Lunatic special interest groups have convinced democrats that abortion is so fundamental as a right that all normal common sense restrictions on medical procedures do not apply!
Rep points for you! Indeed! No other surgery can be performed on ANYONE without full explanation of the risks, alternatives, etc. especially in the case of a minor and her parents. The opposition has no real arguments other than the fact that this could cost them lots of money that they would have otherwise have made off these girls.

Planned Parenthood is a "non-profit," tax-exempt corporation that rakes in more than a quarter-billion dollars in U.S. taxpayer money every year and boasts of being the world's largest "abortion provider." They claim it's about "helping women," but it's about making money.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:22 AM

In 2000, there were an estimated 236,000 babies aborted. For more stats, check out: TABLES: Abortion Incidence and Services In the United States in 2000

Did you know that about 1 out of 4 American babies are aborted?? Any restrictions we can put on the killing of our fellow baby Americans/Californians is good with me.

On a daily basis, older men exploit young girls and use secret abortions to cover up their crimes. More than thirty states currently have parental/family involvement laws like Proposition 4 in effect. States which have laws like Proposition 4 have experienced real reductions in pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases among young girls.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,119,229 times
The facts are that young women do not have the maturity level to make such a life changing decision without guidance and support. The organizations that support teen abortion do not provide these things. Even though they do provide information about the risks, etc., most teens are trying to stay out of trouble and aren't really paying attention. They don't understand until it's too late what an impact this decision will have on them. What people don't understand is that just because they look like adults doesn't mean they are adults.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:04 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
Because of the inflammatory nature of this thread simply due to the subject matter, I'm closing this one down. There other places on City-Data to debate abortion, such as in the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum. There is also a "Religion and Philosophy" forum for anyone who wants to take this discussion in that direction. Thanks, everyone.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

http://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-philosophy/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles