Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:32 AM

33 posts, read 99,008 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]I was watching that new 90210 show last night, and it showed people picnicking at Hollywood Forever Cometary. I got excited because I recognized it from Google Maps-LA. If you tried to picnic here in the summer you'd have red dots all over your body. I love it when TV shows and talk shows make references to LA. Me and the rest of middle-America just eat that stuff up, give us more! It must be neat when you live there and they make references to your own city. I feel like my journey to get out there is going to take forever. To prepare properly, I'm thinking one year. I just want to start fresh, with no debt and some savings. I'd like to get my teeth tended too also. I'm wondering if I should get a cheap used car here, and drive it out there when the time comes, or just try to get by for now with a scooter. But when I do get out there, it's probably going to be where I drop anchor. Man, to wake up on a crisp beautiful morning, possibly a day off work, and just knowing you have that whole playground for your taking must be something. I don't have any hobbies to speak of, and I think it partly reflects my dissatisfaction with this place. All I want to do is stay in the AC. But I feel like out there I'd be more apt to get out and try different things. Maybe I'll even go to a baseball game. Obviously you know I've been to LA before. I've been there a few times. And once you've seen it, you can't pretend it's not there anymore. There's always TV to remind me too. One day my cousin and I ventured up from San Diego in his Fiero. It broke down in Sherman Oaks and we spent the whole day in the valley. I don't know why people diss the valley, I liked it. I even like the name, North Hollywood. It just has a seedy ring to it doesn't it? But then again, I'm kind of whacked. That look of old run down strip malls from the 1950's, billboards, clashing signs, liquor stores, the sound of buses, I like all that. And then you pan up and there it is, that brown layer that accentuates the flavor even more. But then I get the feeling that the look I describe constitutes allot of LA in general, am I right? LA is a vast, spread out, working man's city. It's got a reputation as a wasteland that you want to stay out of, but that adds to the allure even more. I don't like quaint, charming little towns. They seem to have a reverse effect on me and get me depressed.[/SIZE]

As far as why I'm writing this, I know there are some long time LA residents in this forum. Maybe you can validate some of my thoughts. Because there's always those thoughts that I'm thinking wrong. But there's nothing wrong about moving to another city, it's totally legal. I'm almost 35 and I'm still like the baby in the family, trying to seek the approval of them. Then my older sisters had kids, now everyone dotes over them, and I'm supposed to be a good uncle and do the same. I've got to work on myself. Sure I could do that here, where they could monitor my every bit of progress. They'd love it if I met a girl, statistically I'd be staying put then.

I know I'll struggle out there, I'll probably be living in a hood and breaking even after bills. But LA has things I want, and with the killer weather and big city energy, I think I'll be motivated to work real hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 06:44 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
You won't know until you try. You can sit there and read all the positive and negative comments until they're coming out your culo, but until you've experienced L.A. for yourself, you don't know squat.

Like those ads say... just do it.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:48 AM

77 posts, read 303,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfromfl View Post
I was watching that new 90210 show last night, and it showed people picnicking at Hollywood Forever Cometary.[/font]
The show 90210 is a bunch of BS, eventhough I did know some Beverly Hills brats back in the day running around town spending mommy's and daddy's money. God bless them. Hollywood Forever Cemetary is not a picnic ground, but they do offer B movie & horror classic on the grounds during the summer, and people set up picnics then.

Quote:
I feel like my journey to get out there is going to take forever. To prepare properly, I'm thinking one year.
Well take your time. L.A. is not going anyway anytime soon. Always better to come well prepared.

Quote:
I just want to start fresh, with no debt and some savings.
That's smart.

Quote:
I'd like to get my teeth tended too also.
Women in L.A. are teeth conscions. Could improve your success rate, but if your game is strong, you can still pull in a few regardless.

Quote:
Man, to wake up on a crisp beautiful morning, possibly a day off work, and just knowing you have that whole playground for your taking must be something.
Not sure about the crisp morning unless you live at the beach, but the playground aspect is alive and well. You just need to know what to do around here.

Quote:
But I feel like out there I'd be more apt to get out and try different things .
True. That is a big draw about coming to L.A. Entertainment is here 24-7, if you want it.

Quote:
Maybe I'll even go to a baseball game.
The Los Angeles Dodgers or The Los Angeles Anaheim Angels are great teams to go see.

Quote:
I'm kind of whacked.
You'll feel at home in L.A.

Quote:
Maybe you can validate some of my thoughts. Because there's always those thoughts that I'm thinking wrong
Give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, worse case scenario you can always go back home. Even then you'll be a rock star to everyone there, because you followed your dream. Dreams doesn't necessarily have to work out, but it's nice to give it a try, because sometimes they do work out. You can't succeed unless your willing to risk failing. Most successful people have a track record of failures. One of the most famous: Abraham Lincoln- Lost every political race he attempted, but he never gave up, one day he did get over. He became President of The United States.

Quote:
I'm almost 35 and I'm still like the baby in the family, trying to seek the approval of them.
Well that's a losing battle. Don't come here with that attitude. The city will eat you alive. The only person you need to prove anything too is yourself. As long as your a good man to your family and friends, that's all your required to do.

Quote:
I know I'll struggle out there, I'll probably be living in a hood and breaking even after bills. But LA has things I want, and with the killer weather and big city energy, I think I'll be motivated to work real hard.
There's a housing deal in every neighborhood. You just have to do your homework early and seek them out. Your 35, you know how to survive. Same principles everywhere. Anyway, Good Luck.

Los Angel

Last edited by Los Angel; 10-09-2008 at 10:23 AM..

Old 10-09-2008, 09:38 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
If you don't have motivation to work hard where you live, moving to LA isn't going to motivate you to work hard. It sounds to me like you are just trying to escape ypur family instead of manning up and telling them to mind their own business. If you really have to move to escape, there are plenty of places besides LA to move to.

It sounds like you've bought into the hype and from what I've read in your post I see you moving here as a future Skid Row resident. Imagine your family's reaction when you go home with your tail between your legs.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:06 PM

33 posts, read 99,008 times
I feel motivated now, I'm ready to play The Game. Whether I move there or not (statistically speaking I won't), if an image of California dreamin' is what it takes to get off my butt, so be it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
If you don't have motivation to work hard where you live, moving to LA isn't going to motivate you to work hard. It sounds to me like you are just trying to escape ypur family instead of manning up and telling them to mind their own business. If you really have to move to escape, there are plenty of places besides LA to move to.

It sounds like you've bought into the hype and from what I've read in your post I see you moving here as a future Skid Row resident. Imagine your family's reaction when you go home with your tail between your legs.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:26 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,458 times
All those things you like, silly stupid things that you were mentioning, those are the things I love about L.A. as well. It's always the small things that get you. I love North Hollywood too I have family there and we often go to a park for birthday parties, etc.

L.A. to me is a city for people who haven't quite fit in anywhere else and want something 'different.' BTW this city is full of 30 or 40-something single people who never wanted to "settle down"

And being able to see mountains when you are stuck in traffic just makes it that little bit more enjoyable..

I don't feel that you've "bought into the hype." Why? Because you like the valley. People that have "bought into the hype" are obsessed with Hollywood and Beverly Hills and Santa Monica. Not NORTH Hollywood. Which I prefer too

That area and the Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys area is not too ghetto and you could afford something nice there for probably around $800. There's obviously some gang activity and things but if you are a white male - trust me they will just leave you alone. Just avoid the middle part of the valley - the straight shot up San Fernando Road that includes San Fernando and Pacoima. The areas to either side of it are nicer. I pay $950 for a 1 bedroom in Glendale and I love my place it has central (not window!) A/C and heat plus a balcony and came with a new stove and dishwasher - all things that most apartments here don't have! You have to shop around - 3 blocks away from where I live there was a really crappy apartment building and they were asking $1200! No A/C, crappy parking, boarded up windows and balconies. My husband laughed at them and hung up. There are definately bargains out there. We found ours by walking down the streets and looking for rent signs. Not craigslist. The building next to ours was tiny, ancient, had a 1970s kitchen and appliances and no A/C and wanted to charge over $1,000. I've lived in my building over 3 years and there are no downsides to it that I've seen yet! Glendale is nice and might offer what you are looking for. But it is half hispanic (what we are) and half Armenian and a few Asians - so if that isn't something you like then I wouldn't move here. I love it though. The southern part is a bit more gritty like the valley and as you go more north towards Glenoaks area it's nicer - more trees, more suburban. Houses here are EXPENSIVE but rent is better compared to some other areas. The valley is still cheaper though. Well good luck! Any questions just ask away..

Last edited by Tasksgirl; 10-09-2008 at 04:37 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 05:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Quote:
[font=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=2]

You can't do any of those things without money.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:26 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,458 times
You can hike up by Mulholland without money, take a bus to the beach and chill out for only $1.25, or to Griffith Observatory or many other places that are free or cheap.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:52 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
You can hike up by Mulholland without money, take a bus to the beach and chill out for only $1.25, or to Griffith Observatory or many other places that are free or cheap.

Ook. He'll knock that out in a day or two...

Old 10-09-2008, 07:01 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
It depends on whether a person has an attitude of "can" or "can't". There are a LOT of things to do in LA for cheap or free. I don't do ANYTHING that costs much money, and yet I absolutely love it here......gotta keep the can-do attitude in place. To me it sounds like the OP is looking realistically at the place, and has a can-do spirit.

To the OP: yes, hard work is a must out here. But it's worth it. You sound like me - I love it here. Can't explain why; it just lifts my spirits to be here. Do it - if it doesn't work out, you can always go home and all those nieces and nephews will be so glad to have you back. Get a plan together and do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles