Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 13,323 times

Advertisements

My friends and I found an absolutely gorgeous house on Hazeltine and Friar but I wanted to see if anyone knew the area before we moved in. It looks like the whole neighborhood is houses (almost all of which have "For Rent" signs or loads of Hispanic families in the front yard) but I've heard Van Nuys can be a bit dicey. We've all lived in tough places before so we don't mind seedy/Hispanic neighborhoods and we probably won't be walking around the streets at night or anything, but we're worried that it's not a particularly safe place. Am I being paranoid about it being a violent area or should we keep looking south?

If you were a moderately poor graduate student with the chance to rent a house here where would you rate this area between "Keep your valuables hidden and don't do anything dumb and you'll be fine" to "Good lord pay another 200 dollars so you don't get shot/robbed walking to your car"? Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 10:28 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Honestly, I don't think Van Nuys is THAT bad... but.... its not great by any means.

I'd pay a little more, and move to a better area. You'll thank yourself later.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I agree...usually there is a good reason the rents are low in any certain area. I do know the area and I'd pay a little more to be in a better area.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:59 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
While I, too, believe that it is worth paying the extra dollars to live in a better area, I'm not sure if an additional $200 per month moves you up that much. Since you and your friends have lived in "tough places" before, this move could work for you. It wouldn't hurt to hedge your bet with a month-to-month tenancy, or a six month lease.

Virtually everyone that I know living in that area has been burgled at least once. I do have three buddies who rent a place six blocks away (from the intersection you mentioned), and they haven't had a problem, but someone is home 24-7. There are also many incidences of smash-and-grab, so you shouldn't leave items in your cars that are parked on the street.

I've walked the area at night, usually making beer runs for friends who refuse to leave the poker table, and have never had a problem. However, driving can be hazardous. Underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage costs pennies a day, and is money well spent.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:54 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I'd pay a little more and find a better area. That's just me, though. I'd rather live in a good area in a shoebox than have more room and feel imprisoned in my apartment.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:34 AM

71 posts, read 205,655 times
If you go just a mile south and get south of Burbank Blvd you should be a much nicer, totally okay area.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbugme View Post
If you go just a mile south and get south of Burbank Blvd you should be a much nicer, totally okay area.
South of Burbank will put them in Sherman Oaks and the house rents will be much more. There are still some dicey areas south of Burbank as well, but at least they would be able to walk to the store without worry of being victimized.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:44 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
South of Burbank will put them in Sherman Oaks and the house rents will be much more. There are still some dicey areas south of Burbank as well, but at least they would be able to walk to the store without worry of being victimized.
He should look further East. It gets better as it goes towards Valley Village.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:50 PM

689 posts, read 2,582,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attackula View Post
My friends and I found an absolutely gorgeous house on Hazeltine and Friar but I wanted to see if anyone knew the area before we moved in. It looks like the whole neighborhood is houses (almost all of which have "For Rent" signs or loads of Hispanic families in the front yard) but I've heard Van Nuys can be a bit dicey. We've all lived in tough places before so we don't mind seedy/Hispanic neighborhoods and we probably won't be walking around the streets at night or anything, but we're worried that it's not a particularly safe place. Am I being paranoid about it being a violent area or should we keep looking south?

If you were a moderately poor graduate student with the chance to rent a house here where would you rate this area between "Keep your valuables hidden and don't do anything dumb and you'll be fine" to "Good lord pay another 200 dollars so you don't get shot/robbed walking to your car"? Thanks for any advice!
I don't think this area has a problem with violence, main thing would be property crime like an earlier post said. If you have a long driveway to park cars, house is secure and there is usually somebody home (or coming and going on an irregular basis) you should be fine. Make friends with your neighbors and they will keep an eye out for you also. The main thing about this part of the valley is density. Generally, the more apartments in the immediate area the worse things are. There are several tracts that are mostly SFR and perfectly fine. But some streets are mixed with apartments or next to a big street with lots of apartments.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 13,323 times
Smile Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice! We're still debating it but this has been awesomely useful. If we end up there and anyone living nearby wants to set up a neighborhood watch let me know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: