Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:13 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times

Advertisements

Your best bet may be to rent a car for the day. It looks like you will be staying down the street from the beverly center. There is an enterprise car rental place around there. I used them several times for one day rentals while my car was getting worked on. I searched the web and used the coupon codes and saved 20% online (if you want, as of today this code still works: etc7hc . Even without the discount and with the insurance, you'll pay $40.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlabouttown View Post
Well my husband is a police officer, but that does no good in California! I guess just going to a new place and not knowing your way around is intimidating. I grew up in a town without even one stoplight, so everything has been a new adventure! Thank you for all the great suggestions and please keep them coming! Also I wanted to check out the Make Up Designory School in Burbank while I was in town, what's the best way to get there? Should we rent a car for a day or is there a public transit option? My hotel charges $30/day to park and we thought we would try to do without, but the impression I get is that the city is not very walkable (unlike Charleston).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:39 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:
Well my husband is a police officer, but that does no good in California! I guess just going to a new place and not knowing your way around is intimidating. I grew up in a town without even one stoplight, so everything has been a new adventure! Thank you for all the great suggestions and please keep them coming! Also I wanted to check out the Make Up Designory School in Burbank while I was in town, what's the best way to get there? Should we rent a car for a day or is there a public transit option? My hotel charges $30/day to park and we thought we would try to do without, but the impression I get is that the city is not very walkable (unlike Charleston).
Honestly, L.A. is NOT a walkable city. Although I ride public transit every day, I'm the first to admit that it's time consuming and not very effective. If you can spring for a car for the time you're here, it's probably worth it. If you belong to ZipCar, you can rent a car (with gas and insurance included) for around $50 from 7:00AM to 7:00PM weekdays.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:01 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,015 times
Quote:
There is cheaper parking in the area. The beverly center across the street is probably a lot cheaper. Street parking is meters and permits and is not good for more than 2 hours. Just west of the hotel is a small building for the hospital that has a parking lot in the back,it is probably cheaper than the hotel. If you are a patient at the hospital they will give you an all day validation for each day you are in the hospital, ask the nurses where you get validated.
The immediate neighborhood is possible to get around without a car. Walking,buses,the local dash, and taxis would work. Going much farther and public transportation is time consuming and a pain in the rear. Burbank you would need a car to get to. By taxi it would be at least a $40 cab ride one way.
You are staying in one of the most expensive hotels in the city. Everything in it will be overpriced, including parking.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,075 times
Be careful driving. Freeways can be a bit hairy when you're not used to them. Good luck on your surgery.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:16 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Be careful driving. Freeways can be a bit hairy when you're not used to them. Good luck on your surgery.
Good point.
I suggest you stay off of the freeways between 7 and 9am and between 4 and 7pm. They move at a snails pace at those times anyway.
You're staying in one of the greatest neighborhoods of L.A. A very enjoyable area, it's a good place to take your mind off of your trouble.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:16 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Quote:
Hi, my husband and I are about to take our first trip to Los Angeles. ... Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do/see in three days? We are 28 and 34 respectively and from Charleston, SC so this is a whole new experience.
Suggest you take a city tour with Grayline or one of the big tour operators. You'll learn a lot about the city's highlights plus see all of the fun places -- Hollywood's Chinese Theater on the Walk of Fame (Hollywood Blvd.), Sunset Strip, Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive, Farmer's Market, Century City, Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier. Give yourself a day to do this. Incidentally, a lot of these areas are in the immediate vicinity of Cedar Sinai. You're also directly across the street from the Beverly Center. Also not far: Melrose Blvd. for shopping, and the Page Museum, LA County Museum of Art, La Brea Tarpits are all next to each other on Wilshire Blvd. Have fun! L.A. is a great city!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 6,008 times
Aww, thanks guys for all your great advice! I do think we are now going to rent a car for a least a day or two, then just stick to our neighborhood. I really appreciate everyone's kindness and look forward to my trip.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:30 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times
Quote:
Aww, thanks guys for all your great advice! I do think we are now going to rent a car for a least a day or two, then just stick to our neighborhood. I really appreciate everyone's kindness and look forward to my trip.
Also, good luck with your surgery! I am sure it will all go well

Old 11-27-2008, 12:18 AM

276 posts, read 1,018,992 times
Cool You will be in a safe area!

The hotel is right across the street from the Beverly Center, and just west on Beverly is Jerry's Deli. If you want to hob-nob with some celebrities then check out the Ivy on Robertson. Both are in walking distance to the hotel. Want a good steak, then check out Mortons a little south on LaCienega.

There is also a very nice drug~store, and plenty of shopping, movie theatres, unique shops/restaurants on 3rd street. Walk over to West Hollywood park, and up Santa Monica Blvd. Again, all within walking distance to the hotel.

As someone suggested, book a tour of interest, which you can arrange right at the hotel.

If you do not want to rent a car you will still have everything surrounding you.

Cedars is the best. My brother practices out of Cedars, and my children were born at Cedars.

Good luck! Everything will be just fine~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles