Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:25 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,615 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I'm going to be checking out Venice beach soon for the first time since moving here. We just want to go check it out and walk around for awhile and get something to eat.

Would it be better for us to go on a weekend or weekday? (Mainly worried about not finding parking etc...)

Can anyone recommend any specific places to park or any good places to eat?

Any other general advice for my first visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 10:59 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Weekend, but it's the off season. They've probably put up the dune barriers already.

Wait till spring, then you'll get the real Venice beach experience.

It will be a ghost town now.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:41 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Weekend, but it's the off season. They've probably put up the dune barriers already.
Wait till spring, then you'll get the real Venice beach experience.

It will be a ghost town now.
Venice is hopping every weekend. It will be busy this weekend because of all the students on vacation. Weekends during winter are generally less crowded but it will be warm this weekend so keep that in mind. Since you live in metro LA you might want to visit during the week w/ no parking problems in the lots & spotty on the street.

BTW, what do you mean by "dune barriers"?

Old 11-26-2008, 11:46 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Be sure to visit Abbot Kinney's in Venice. Joe's or Lilly's is nice for lunch. :-)

Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
a good place to park is at the venice pier, which is at the very end of Washington. From there, you'll walk north along the boardwalks along checking out the sometimes odd homes that are directly on the beach. Plenty of places to eat in that area as well. C&O is one of my favorite italian places in the city. Muscle Beach and the main part of Venice with the graffiti and skating areas is about a 5-10 minute walk north of the pier. The boardwalk extends all the way to the border of Santa Monica, but its pretty much the same stuff up and down the entire boardwalk so you probably won't need to walk that far.

If you don't want to eat at C&O, there are dozens of places to choose from on the boardwalk. There is also an Islands on Washinton about 2 blocks from the beach.

As for when to go, if you go during the week this time of year, it is going to be fairly dead. Part of the allure of Venice is large amount of people walking around checking everything out. The weekends will have much more people, but since it has really started to cool off, parking shouldn't be too big of an issue. Plus, the lot that I had mentioned earlier is fairly large and if you get there early enough, you have no problems getting a spot.

I also meant to add that the sand berms are in fact up already. You may want to bring a snow sled with you if you have one, they are fun to use on the berm.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:39 PM

51 posts, read 240,125 times
The good thing about visiting Venice is you trend to meet a lot of eccentric people walking around.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:11 PM

8 posts, read 46,009 times
You're kidding! Venice Beach is Venice Beach no matter the day, time or season.
It's sordid, dirty, packed with weirdos too many T-shirt stores.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:11 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,344 times
Don't forget to go for a walk on the Canals. If you get through Venice too quick you can walk down to Santa Monica pier as well (about a half hour walk but it's the beach so it will be nice).

Old 10-29-2009, 11:11 PM

41 posts, read 106,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
Hey all,
I'm going to be checking out Venice beach soon for the first time since moving here. We just want to go check it out and walk around for awhile and get something to eat.

Would it be better for us to go on a weekend or weekday? (Mainly worried about not finding parking etc...)

Can anyone recommend any specific places to park or any good places to eat?

Any other general advice for my first visit?

Your definetly best going on the weekdays. Saturday and Sundays are packed. And the weekends is when all the punk kids and gangs go out and make a hoot and holler.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 PM

132 posts, read 364,640 times
I was there today (late morning), I've never been on a weekend. It wasn't a ghost town, there were people walking around and hanging around, everything was open, the skateboard park was hopping, but otherwise maybe the number of things going on was probably fewer than what people talk about. I saw lots of available parking. I went intentionally on a weekday since I was on a bike and wanted to avoid big crowds, so it depends what you want- if you're a people-watcher primarily, go on a weekend- but if not, a weekday will probably be alive enough for the average person.

(edited to add, I just noticed now that this is a really old thread that was dug up by the previous poster... oh well, maybe someone else will be going! I was pretty sure I hadn't seen any dune barriers! ;-)

Last edited by Santa's Neighbor; 10-29-2009 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: just realized now it's an old thread that was dug up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: