Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 11:41 AM

26 posts, read 274,525 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a post-doc position at UCLA (two years), so we'll be moving there this summer. We will need full time childcare for our 1 & 3 yr olds, but as they won't be school-age before we move away, we don't need to worry about school districts per se.

So basically, we're trying to balance quality daycare (but can't do the year-long waiting list that many places have), commute, and cost. Top contenders right now are Culver City and Santa Monica. Obviously the latter is much more expensive. Can anyone compare those commutes for me? (Culver City to UCLA vs. Santa Monica to UCLA)

I will be working full-time but don't know where yet - ideally at UCLA itself. But regardless, my commute can't be factored in at this time.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 11,741 times
Congratulations!

UCLA has daycare for current employees or students. You can try to ask your husband's boss to get your kids some sort of priority status. UCLA also has housing for students and family.

I am moving to West LA next week myself. I called almost every daycare center around and no place for my four-years old daughter. I wish I work for UCLA. LOL!

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2007, 03:46 PM

Thanks for your reply! Yes, that daycare is supposed to be great. Alas, even for those connected with UCLA, it's a two year waiting list So that won't help us, as we're only going to be there for two years!

You would think with such high demand, there would be more centers. Looks like we'll go with a home-based daycare, which is fine (I guess) - IF we can find one to take both boys - but we would prefer a center. Sigh.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:11 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,470,296 times
I guarantee you will enjoy West L.A. so much, you will choose to stay.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:45 AM

Opinions about the following areas? Remember, we have two young kids that will be in full-time daycare - but we don't need to worry about the school district. THANK YOU!

* Culver City (seems like a good balance of affordable but up-and-coming and not too bad of a commute - am I wrong?)
* Palms (are there safe pockets?)
* Santa Monica (what's the commute like? Worth the expense?)
* Pacific Palisades (too far for the expense? as in, if we're going to pay that much, should we just do closer to campus?)
* Redondo Beach (too far?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles