Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:29 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times

Advertisements

I think you are a really good photographer that captures everything about Los Angeles, from the poor to the rich to worn to the new. It is all a part of LA and you show reality. I love how you capture the moment of the people also. It really gives you a good feel of the city.

Also, I think people are really rude to the world's poor when they compare Los Angeles to Tijuana. You might as well be complaining that you only have an ipod touch instead of an iphone.

Tijuana has a huge portion that looks like this:

While I think this house in South Central LA pictured above isn't the most desireable of places, I am sure if you took the family that lives in it and dropped them in one of the Tijuana shacks shown above, they would be begging to move back to LA in a matter of minutes. Most of you on here live in much nicer areas too. I just think it is a slap in the face to people living in much rougher places to act like you have it as bad as them.

Last edited by missionhome; 12-14-2008 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 09:49 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
Koth, thanks for the memories. I lived in the area now called Koreatown after my discharge, and paid $32 mo. rent at the Ansonia, on 6th across from MacArthur Park. Later, my wife and I lived at 8th & Ardmore, 3rd & Western, and other areas in the city. It's good to see that many of the old apartments are still there. Never did care for the modern, generic stylings of the fifties.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:00 AM

689 posts, read 2,582,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
You couldn't find any attractive people to take photos of?
Are you kidding? I think most of his portraits are beautiful. Maybe it's just my tastes but I find the ladies in these photos beautiful. Some of the dudes are pretty goofy looking, but they look like high school kids and that goes with that age group.

King - Great job again. I'm not sure what I'm more impressed with. Your ability to capute beauty and true feeling in the people you photograph. Or your incredible knack for architectural photography. You could publish a coffee table book on apartment architecture in LA.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:38 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
It is not the abundance of non-whites that I think is a problem, it is the outrageous expense of living in a city which is no better than many others. A place where the average person cannot afford a decent home. LA is an example of a transformation from "paradise" to less with a huge run up in prices. In my ideal California world I think of this:

Internet Archive: Details: Where the Mountains Meet the Sea (Part I)

But to see what it is today is seeing reality, not fantasy. The only fantasy exists in the property values of LA county. Some may find the current state desireable, that is open to debate. The only thing not in dispute her is the talent of the photographer. This is a collection better than any LA based photobook I have ever seen. The realisim saves me a trip to a place I would be disappointed in.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:57 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It is not the abundance of non-whites that I think is a problem, it is the outrageous expense of living in a city which is no better than many others. A place where the average person cannot afford a decent home. LA is an example of a transformation from "paradise" to less with a huge run up in prices. In my ideal California world I think of this:

Internet Archive: Details: Where the Mountains Meet the Sea (Part I)

But to see what it is today is seeing reality, not fantasy. The only fantasy exists in the property values of LA county. Some may find the current state desireable, that is open to debate. The only thing not in dispute her is the talent of the photographer. This is a collection better than any LA based photobook I have ever seen. The realisim saves me a trip to a place I would be disappointed in.
Thanks for the great video. I am old enough to remember Santa Monica after they closed Pacific Ocean Park for apartments. But Santa Monica is pretty much the same as in 1959: middle-class\ wealthy w/ a nice beach & promenade, good schools, great restaurants.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:23 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times
Great pics! I really enjoyed my time when in LA and hope to return soon.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExiles View Post
That's nice, but I find it an insult to compare T.J. to L.A.
Why?

They are both cities with are home to huge amount of immigrants from elsewhere. In TJ, like LA you have this huge influx of immigrants from Asia. Other than LA and TJ, how many places can you find Chinese restaurants where the waitress speaks fluent spanish? Also like LA, TJ has immigrants from all over central America.

In both LA and TJ, you have this tremendous mixture of cultures, its sort of American, its sort of hispanic is sort of some new hybrid. In either place you can sort of fit in if you were raise in either the US or Mexico, but you are also exposed to the other culture.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExiles View Post
That's nice, but I find it an insult to compare T.J. to L.A.
You "find it an insult"? Why would you take it personally? We're talking about our observations of a city, not about the character of the people living there.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:24 PM

705 posts, read 3,298,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
Why?
TJ is not a global city.
TJ is nearly or is homogeneous.
TJ does not have a concentration of over 400k residents making 100K plus a year.
TJ does not have cultural centers
TJ does not have a prominent downtown
TJ does not have a subway, light rail or dependable public transit
TJ does not influence the World
TJ does not have the 7th largest port in the world
TJ does not have one of the busiest airports in the world
TJ does not have an extensive and efficient freeway system
TJ does not have large concentrations of ethnicities from all over the world
TJ does not lead as a culture and art epicenter of the world
TJ is not recognized as a Global City
TJ does not have renowned theatres and art museums
TJ does not have major sport arenas
TJ does not have any major league sports
TJ does not have a metro of 18,000,000+ residents
TJ does not have a city population of 4.1 Mill

Why not compare TJ to Hong Kong or New York? Im sure there are similarities.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:29 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times
Good stuff Surek. +1 rep

'preciate you holding the fort down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles