Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 01:39 PM

41 posts, read 134,915 times

Advertisements

New poster (!), though I’ve been lurking since the summer. I’m a senior at Harvard concentrating in film production, currently working on my senior thesis and trying to survive the plague of senioritis (it set it sometime mid-sophomore year …).

I grew up in Connecticut and moved to Washington DC my freshman year of high school, where I attended an arts school for high school and studied acting. When I began college, my interest moved from theater to film, and it’s become an obsession. Come June, I’ll be a graduate (with honors, if I can finish this thesis) determined get off the east coast.

The truth of the situation is that my only visit to the LA area was an eight day trip with my grandfather to scope out colleges before senior year of high school. I fell in love with the place … as much as you can fall in love with a city you don’t have the time to get to know. There is an allure to getting away from the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast … I’ve been here forever and I’m ready for a change. But more importantly, it’s professionally the most reasonable choice I can make. The film scene in DC and Boston is minor, New York is great to visit, not quite the place I’d like to live, and I could do without bitter cold for a while. I’m not interested in getting an MFA in film at this point … I don’t want to pay to relearn the things I’ve already learned once and I’m not ready to take on a bunch of student loans.

In an ideal world, I’d get an apprenticeship, or an assistant to the assistant sort of position (). I’ve got a lot of production experience, and understand the need to hustle for an entry-level position. That said, I know that the possibility of getting industry work right away is not necessarily the best. So I’ll do what I have to do. This month after exams, I figure I’ll begin my job search via the regular job search websites, as well as through a few connections I have. I anticipate my budget re: housing will be somewhere around $1200.

I suppose the reason for posting here … is that I’m really scared. I’m so excited at the prospect of moving to the west coast, getting close to what I want to do (rather than studying it), getting away from the cold, being 22 (come May). This forum has been a great resource for months in terms of learning about other people’s experiences, but it’s also really freaked me about about a) my prospects and b) what I should be doing now. It’s not really possible for me to travel to LA before I graduate, which means I’ve been doing a lot of apartment searches online. But general recommendations? I’ve got six months … what should I be doing, other than just looking for a job and a place to live? Thoughts, wisdom and reassurances much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 03:45 PM

298 posts, read 716,557 times
Things to do before move (if you are not visiting first):

1. Jobs: Look (realistically) at what kind of money you would be making at an entry level position. If it's little to nothing you're going to have to get a second job, so also look in classified and on craigslist (and any other site you can think of) and scan the help wanted section. Realistically estimate the amount of take home pay you will have each month (not top of range but err toward bottom of range) and remember to estimate taxes - both national and local taxes.

I know you said your budget will probably be about 1200 for housing, but that's a pretty high budget when you consider likely take home pay for an entry level position with taxes taken out and with all of the other stuff you will have to or want to pay for. In my experience (as a CPA might I add most people overestimate the amount of money they have to work with.

2. Living Arrangements: Once you've figured out the realistic picture of how you are going to be making money, at least when you first get to LA, then you can look online at apartments.com or similar apartment websites and price out available one bedroom units and see if you can realistically afford one. Be sure to check out every area possible and keep in mind lower rents can signal higher crime. If you want roommates to share the rent (or need roommates depending on $) see what's available in terms of rentals that you can rent on a month to month basis. Also, check out craigslist and search for other websites that connect roommates. I would recommend renting a monthly place, at least for the first month you're in LA, and meeting roommates before committing to rooming with them.

3. Car - You will need a car or want one very badly (based upon everything I've heard and experienced about LA.) Do you own one note free? It might not be a bad idea to pay off your current car or trade for one you can own note free (or buy one with cash) before you head to LA. A car note will be a huge burden if you are starting at the bottom of the pay scale in LA. It will probably be a burden if even if you make in the middle of the pay range in LA.

Edit: I have read on other threads that some people use the public transportation and not a car there? You may want to look into that? I don't know if that would serve your purposes if you are going to be going to different locations for filming during an apprenticeship?

4. Figure out all of your other monthly expenses (gas, insurance, food, toiletries, movie/going out money, clothing, laundry (if you use pay machines), cell phone, internet, gym fees for working out, valet fees, etc). Also, figure out how much money you will need on your trip out. Are you driving (and will therefore need gas, food, and hotel money on way out)? Are you flying (and will therefore need to pay for airfare, maybe shipping costs, taxi fare or rental car fees when you get to LA, food)? Also, you will probably stay in a hotel the first night or two before you get a rental unit (and will need to pay for food and transportation costs while you are getting settled before you start work), I'm guessing?

Figure out what your monthly expenses and your moving expenses will be and save up an amount equal to moving and 3 months worth of expenses before you move.

4. Make sure to ask people if you can use them as references for work and have your resume / any application materials ready before you leave.

Note: People have moved with little to no money and only dreams. It's possible but a lot harder. I would strongly recommend doing the things listed above to make the move hopefully an easier and better experience for you.

5. Psyching yourself up for the move: Well, you're going to be nervous/uneasy to some extent. That's just part of it, but it doesn't mean you're making the wrong decision. It sounds like from a professional viewpoint, this is a good decision for you. I have heard it's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do. When I want to psyche myself up, I read this speech by Steve Jobs (Apple guy):

Text of Steve Jobs' Commencement address (2005)

God bless and good luck!

Last edited by HSVbulldawg; 01-01-2009 at 04:11 PM..

Old 01-01-2009, 08:02 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,165,602 times
Great suggestions from HSV

Would figure out paths used by various Harvard grads (both more recent grads and those of 10-20yrs ago who have achieved senior decision-making roles) to enter the entertainment industry; would contact them for advice as appropriate

May want to identify other Harvard classmates in similar career path who are moving to LA post-grad.....poss roommates

Suspect some Harvard classmates have parents who are major decision-makers in the media and entertainment industry...or are major financiers w/investments in the m&e industry...who might be helpful in gaining initial job interviews/contacts

Harvard as both a brand and as a source of important industry contacts should not be underestimated or underutilized
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles