Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:52 PM

5 posts, read 7,653 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move from NJ (go to school in Manhattan) to LA for school. I have a couple questions about LA.
-Will I really need a car? I know the mass transit is nothing compared to manhattan/jersey; but if I live close enough to school, will this be a problem?
-Are there subways? Are there cabs?
-Is downtown LA as shady as everyone says?
-Do the stereotypes of LA ring true (shallow, uneducated, etc)?
-Should I visit before committing to it?
-How are the bars? Where are the good bars?
-What area would be most similar to nyc?
-Is the city generally walkable?
-Are there scary bugs there?

If anyone moved there from NYC/Northeast it'd be really helpful if you can tell me how it compares.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
What school?

There are subways but its not a comprehensive network that will take you anywhere you want to go.
There are cabs, like just about any city in the world.
You should visit before committing, but that's true of any place.
LA isn't buggy like many part of the US are.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:07 PM

5 posts, read 7,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What school?

There are subways but its not a comprehensive network that will take you anywhere you want to go.
There are cabs, like just about any city in the world.
You should visit before committing, but that's true of any place.
LA isn't buggy like many part of the US are.
FIDM.
Are the cabs easily accessible? I've been to cities where I like, never see any.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiznit View Post
FIDM.
Are the cabs easily accessible? I've been to cities where I like, never see any.
Its not a sea of yellow like NYC. People here tend to call cabs by telephone unless you're at the airport.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
There are neighborhoods of Los Angeles that are walkable and you can get your basic needs by walking in, but it is a huge city and it isn't like you will walk from one end to the other. You either need to take a bus, subway/light rail, cab, or car to go between neighborhoods or across town. This isn't that different than NYC where you take some form of transportation to go from one area to another (its not like you walk from the Bronx to Brooklyn, you naturally either take a subway, car, or cab).

A car gives more freedom in L.A., but many go just by public transportation (but not most). A recent thread on here described one guys year without a car in L.A.

I highly recommend you visit. It is worth the $300 plane ticket and hotel stay because otherwise you could move out here and hate it.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post

I highly recommend you visit. It is worth the $300 plane ticket and hotel stay because otherwise you could move out here and hate it.
Agreed. Make a short trip out here. I advise any prospective student going across the country for school to visit the school and investigate its local environment. Consider it a reconnaissance mission.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
-Do the stereotypes of LA ring true (shallow, uneducated, etc)?
About as true as the NJ stereotypes (loud, obnoxious, guido, etc).

I'll let you draw any further conclusions.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed. Make a short trip out here. I advise any prospective student going across the country for school to visit the school and investigate its local environment. Consider it a reconnaissance mission.
And make the trip during the week. Weekends don't count.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
-Are there subways? Are there cabs? Nothing like what you're used to

-Is downtown LA as shady as everyone says? No. Realize this, nothing is ever as bad as the naysayers on C-D say it is. That said, certain parts can be, after dark. Kinda sounds like just about any large city, doesn't it?

-Should I visit before committing to it? Yes

-How are the bars? Where are the good bars?All over the LA Metro area. This place is massive and spread out. Please consult a map to get an idea of what I'm alluding to.

-What area would be most similar to nyc? No area would. Don't look for it.

-Is the city generally walkable? Once again, it's to huge to define simply as "the city". You must narrow down what area you'll be in.

-Are there scary bugs there? In the hills and deserts there are tarantulas and scorpions. There are also Africanized Bees. But very few mosquitoes.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
You are lucky though the FIDM is located in downtown which is the transportation hub of Los Angeles. There isn't an easier place to get to in the city with public transport.

Are you planning on living in housing sponsored by FIDM or on your own? If on your own, you may want to consider living close to the subway line (red line). It will get you to downtown in 30 minutes or less. FIDM is about a 5-10 minute walk from 7th Street Metro Center Station.
http://colesfrenchdip.com/news/map.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles