Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 73,295 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the same unit for nearly 8 years, and the carpet has worn thin in many areas. (One patch in particular, by the door, has worn down beyond foam pad-- I've caught a shoe heel in the exposed mesh and nearly tripped more than once.) It's obvious it needs repair. Is this my responsibility? I haven't found any literature that states otherwise, yet it doesn't seem right that I'd have to pay to fix the hazard within the rental. The areas that are just dingy and old I understand are not landlord's 'problem', but can I request that he fix the worn-through areas? Would that be out of line? THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 04:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
I seem to recall reading somewhere that by law, the landlord cannot collect a dime for replacing carpet that is older than 7 years, because I believe I read that after 7 years the depreciation of the carpeting has exhausted its value. I wouldn't swear to it though! After 8 years I would think that this falls under normal wear and tear - and I can't imagine that a landlord would not want to replace the carpeting in the entire unit after nearly ten years.

I'm posting a link here that I send to my renter friends because it has lots of legal info specific to California renter's rights. It may actually be where I read the seven year rule. Hope it helps!

http://www.caltenantlaw.com/

Old 03-26-2007, 06:56 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,015,151 times
Landlords have to repair a trip hazzard. They are not responsible for general cleaning. After 8 years, he should replace the carpet and keep you happy

Old 01-14-2010, 02:39 AM

3 posts, read 93,922 times
how long does a tenant stay in an apartment before getting carpet replaced woithout charge?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:40 AM

3 posts, read 93,922 times
do you have to give a 30 day notice or a 60 day notice to the landlord in nevada?

Last edited by TREK45; 01-14-2010 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: mistake

Old 01-14-2010, 03:06 AM

257 posts, read 619,232 times
Be sure to take pictures of the building that your living in (or the workplace, if there are hazards there). Notify the property owner of any hazards--in writing. If he or she does nothing, at least you have a paper trail and photos to cover you. If you actually get hurt, many companies will try to fire you or threaten to take legal action against you in order to minimize their own liability. (That happened to me when I injured my back on a merchant ship.) If you don't have photos, sketches, and some kind of written report filed, you'll have a harder time proving negligence.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 26,604 times
I was asaulted by the owners renter, who rented the back house to me with contract. She was arrested for assaulting me and my daughter, now I am still hurting on my neck and shoulder and going into the dr. because it is not getting better a week ago. The owner is giving me a hard time wanting me out and treating me bad when in fact I am the victim and my little girl. He has no right to harrasse us. I have money coming in and waiting on it due to I paid deposit I will never get back as well, any help out there.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:08 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angellove209 View Post
I was asaulted by the owners renter, who rented the back house to me with contract. She was arrested for assaulting me and my daughter, now I am still hurting on my neck and shoulder and going into the dr. because it is not getting better a week ago. The owner is giving me a hard time wanting me out and treating me bad when in fact I am the victim and my little girl. He has no right to harrasse us. I have money coming in and waiting on it due to I paid deposit I will never get back as well, any help out there.
If you were assaulted by anyone, I am assuming you contacted the police? Filed a report? What did they tell you about your legal options?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 7,457 times
I am renting an apartment above my landlords house. When I moved in the rental agreement icluded utilites. Now she wants me to pay part of the utility bill. Do I have to?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Ojeda View Post
I am renting an apartment above my landlords house. When I moved in the rental agreement icluded utilites. Now she wants me to pay part of the utility bill. Do I have to?
Is that in writing? If so then you don't have to pay - she won't be happy but if she agreed to it in writing I would just point that out to her and leave it alone....if she let's you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles