Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:39 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times

Advertisements

The bigger issue, IMHO, is that the dumpsters are inside a locked, supposedly secure property. If people are digging through dumpsters out on the street, that's entirely different.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:50 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
well then thats an HOA issue.

so much for security. didnt some old man get beat up and robbed in a gated community of socal recently?

it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
The bigger issue, IMHO, is that the dumpsters are inside a locked, supposedly secure property. If people are digging through dumpsters out on the street, that's entirely different.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM

236 posts, read 789,099 times
Quote:
Gated communities are a joke. The only problems I have had while living in LA were when I was living in a gated community. I think they attract problems because people assume if it's gated, there is something inside worth stealing. Also, any time I go to someone's apartment, etc. inside a gated community, there is always someone walking in or out more than happy to hold the door for me (without my asking.) Don't assume you are safe living in a gated community. If the only things you have lost are out of a dumpster, you are lucky!

Old 06-22-2009, 03:24 PM

236 posts, read 789,099 times
Quote:
You might try putting it in these terms: The gate is kept locked for security purposes and, obviously, it's not doing its job. Since the property is NOT secure, it's management's responsibility to make it so. If they choose not to, tell them you'll sue.
Not entirely true. My apartment was broken into, and the response I got was, we checked the gates and they are working properly, so it's not our problem. They claimed no liability for people allowing others to enter when they came in and out. The police supported their position when taking my report.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times
Gated communities only keep out the less ambitious criminals. Which is better than nothing.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:43 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
I live in a gated community where you need a card to swipe to get in. It's not cheap and it's in a nice part of town (San Gabriel Valley, I'll leave it at that). My neighbors and apartment complex tenants are all respectful people.

I walk to throw my trash out this morning to find a man in his mid 30's knee deep in our dumpster ripping through our bags like there is no tomorrow. I told him to get the Moderator cut: language out of there and that this is private property to which he replied muttered something Moderator cut: that I didn't understand and continued to go through our dumpster. I didn't throw my trash away obviously and started to call the cops, at this moment he jumped out and took off, hopping our gated entry.

This is the 3rd time I've seen dumpster divers in my complex and the first time I've confronted one. I'm sick and tired of these low lives who are stealing property that is NOT theirs. I moved here because it is a great area and property but these idiots come from far away to steal our trash and possibly our identities (I shred everything).

What else can I do besides call the cops which doesn't work because by the time they arrive the guy is long gone?
I would not confront the dumpster divers. Ok, they are obviously homeless...some (many) homeless people have mental issues, not all of them, but many of them. Do you really want to risk this "bum" snapping and probably ripping your face off? Not worth the risk. Some of them are harmless, others are insane.
If you shred your papers then you really have nothing to worry about beside the fact that these people just bother you. I'd throw your trash in and keep on walking.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
We burn anything sensitive in our bbq.
We save all of our cans/bottles, the sum up to $90 every other month.
I think you should consider a $45.00 personal shredder at any office supply chain store. 2 weeks worth of cans & bottles.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:15 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,221 times
Quote:
What else can I do besides call the cops which doesn't work because by the time they arrive the guy is long gone?
You follow him with your cell phone. 911 connects you to a police operator and you stay on the line until they arrive giving the operator constant updates. Don't even let him know you see or care and be casual next time.

If the cops know you are on the trail, they will respond quicker.

I've done this with taggers.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:38 PM

51 posts, read 130,230 times
Quote:
I live in a gated community where you need a card to swipe to get in. It's not cheap and it's in a nice part of town (San Gabriel Valley, I'll leave it at that). My neighbors and apartment complex tenants are all respectful people.

I walk to throw my trash out this morning to find a man in his mid 30's knee deep in our dumpster ripping through our bags like there is no tomorrow. I told him to get the Moderator cut: language out of there and that this is private property to which he replied muttered something Moderator cut: that I didn't understand and continued to go through our dumpster. I didn't throw my trash away obviously and started to call the cops, at this moment he jumped out and took off, hopping our gated entry.

This is the 3rd time I've seen dumpster divers in my complex and the first time I've confronted one. I'm sick and tired of these low lives who are stealing property that is NOT theirs. I moved here because it is a great area and property but these idiots come from far away to steal our trash and possibly our identities (I shred everything).

I can't believe that you actually complain about someone "stealing" your trash. Moderator cut: Inappropriate Don't you even feel the slightest bit of sympathy for the poor bloke who has to go through other peoples trash, probably looking for food. It trash!!! You throw it away for a reason, you don't want/need it anymore!! If you are shredding any private documents anyway, what's the problem. Maybe if you had a look at what you throw away, before you throw it away and put the things, albeit food or whatever you don't deem good enough and put it a seperate bag for this homeless guy, you wouldn't have this so called problem.
I realize that you live in a "gated community" for a reason, but come on man, what if you were the homeless guy? What would you do?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-22-2009 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Language/personal attack

Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
First of all -- who said he's homeless? Perhaps he is just looking for food, but I don't think the dumpster of an apartment complex would be the best place for that (a restaurant or grocery store would be a far better choice). It's more likely that he's looking for stuff to recycle or, possibly, personal information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles